Wild Pig Hunting Tips

Most of the time they do run away. But to make it sound like hogs are cowards is not the perception that needs to be spread. These guys are fast, big and built like a tank. I used to watch hog zombies a lot. And what I respect is that they kept safety as a priority. I hunt hogs to eat them and to reduce their ever growing population. I’ve never heard of a hunting tip that goes the opposite way of safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to agree with this approach. Ive been hunting hogs a long time. Ive walked up on them many times. Ive only been charged at once - and it was when I was probably 10 years old walking up on a sow with piglets while crawfishing in pretty deep swamp. The last hurricane/flooding here in LA pushed a veritable boatload of them into our area right before whitetail season. I think I walked up on hogs 6-8 times just walking to my stand this past season. The damn things overran the area. None of them came at me. I had a staredown with maybe the biggest boar ive ever seen at 35 yards, ranged him and when I went to draw my bow he took off.

At the same time, I agree with some others in that while I dont expect them to come at me, my first reaction when I walk up on them is a battle plan to gtfo. If youve never been ground level with a 250+ pound boar, you dont realize how much of a ball of destruction they are. Its like tackling Mike Alstott back in the day. Just a mound of meat with all the leverage in the world.

If you started messing around in thickets, they would be long gone. The only time I think theres a chance they come at you is if you startle them fairly close up (especially a sow with babies), or like bubblehide said, youve got a animal defending themselves after being wounded/shot.

Last edited:
I know im late - but i hunt hogs in Eastern TN in the steepest mountains youve seen. @robtattoo is correct on what he said,,, howver it can be done. lots of miles need to be logged but theyre in there. The reason im successfull in killing them today is cause i was unsuccessful for many years. now its about like clockwork. use every hunt as a learning experience. if your planning to just stop in once every couple years you wont kill one.

but AMA and ill try to help