Wild Pig Hunting Tips

OP
Jclark225

Jclark225

FNG
Find the nastiest, thickest, gnarliest undergrowth of thickets. Then see if you can determine the entrance and exit. It should be pretty obvious. As noted above, they are nomadic and may not be in that particular bedding area for some time. Sometimes you can smell them in the area - whether its them, or the turned up ground theyve been rooting in. Freshly turned up rooted ground has a certain smell. The ones around here travel in a pack of 2-3 boars a few sows and a bunch of piglets. They seem to get less nocturnal the deeper we get into whitetail season, which ends 1/31 around here.

This is where the old sow was headed after I shot her. Shows the entrance to the bedding. I only bowhunt them, and I only bowhunt them when a whitetail hunt turns into a hog hunt. Its the only pic I have of this particular bedding area, but as thick as that looks, it does it no justice at all. This is between a creek and a larger river it drains into. Theres about a 60x60 yard patch that youd have to crawl and fight your way through to recover. So make sure you get em down quick.

Find the nastiest, thickest, gnarliest undergrowth of thickets. Then see if you can determine the entrance and exit. It should be pretty obvious. As noted above, they are nomadic and may not be in that particular bedding area for some time. Sometimes you can smell them in the area - whether its them, or the turned up ground theyve been rooting in. Freshly turned up rooted ground has a certain smell. The ones around here travel in a pack of 2-3 boars a few sows and a bunch of piglets. They seem to get less nocturnal the deeper we get into whitetail season, which ends 1/31 around here.

This is where the old sow was headed after I shot her. Shows the entrance to the bedding. I only bowhunt them, and I only bowhunt them when a whitetail hunt turns into a hog hunt. Its the only pic I have of this particular bedding area, but as thick as that looks, it does it no justice at all. This is between a creek and a larger river it drains into. Theres about a 60x60 yard patch that youd have to crawl and fight your way through to recover. So make sure you get em down quick.
Man, that sounds like a hell of a challenge I love it! I bet that's a sweet sense of accomplishment when it all comes together. Much more so than paying a land owner to go shoot one over a feeder.

I'm sort of a masochist when it comes to hunting and feel there is a direct correlation between the amount of suffering and odds of success. If I don't fill the tag it just means I didn't work hard enough but I enjoy every second of "the suck".

For what it's worth my first attempt will be end of March on the central coast region of California then will try again in June in south-western North Carolina.
As was mentioned, pigs are nomadic, meaning you do not know how long they will hang in a specific area, nor when another group will come into an area. However, in general, they will be where life is easiest, as long as they feel safe. So in short, if a group of pigs gets pressured is the slightest, they will almost always move. The exception here is when food is scarce, and when it is exceptionally hot.

On the topic of heat, keep in mind that pigs are like dogs, they do not have sweat glands. So, the only ways they have to cool themselves, is to pant like a dog, and use the ground or water. They will dig out shady areas to expose cooler ground to lay in. In excessive heat, they will literally go into ponds and lakes to cool themselves. So in excessive heat, they will be close to water, usually very close.

Like humans, pigs are polyestrous. Meaning that they are capable of cycling continuously. However, this does not mean they will continuously cycle. If environmental conditions are good (sleep, food, safety, low stress and shelter), they will cycle. When these conditions raise their stress level, they are likely to not cycle. So your asking where does this come into play, right? It means that when conditions are good, boars may be active all day and night, however this usually happens in the cooler months, and the spring when food is plentiful. So in short, during these times, you want to be on the hunt ALL day long. I can not tell you how many big boars I have HARVESTED (for those who don't care for that word) well after early morning and well before evening, directly to them looking for sows cycling. If this is the case, they move along at a good clip, and let their noses and feet do the work; food is not their concern.

Like deer, pig like easy travel routes, but also safe travel routes. if they get disturbed (not hunted, not shot at, not harvested), they usually change their travel pattern, but not the areas they utilize. Pigs like and need water, so as mentioned, the hotter it gets, the closer they will be to water, in general.

In the summer months, they generally bed on the north and north east slopes, in deep canyons and ravines. They prefer riparian areas in general.

Their noses, they make a living with their noses, literally. You will never beat their nose if you do not constantly play the wind. If the wind is swirling, back out and try something else. Because all you will do is educate them, and move them along, away form you and any opportunity.

If legal, use a call, content feeding works very well, and relaxes them. I have been visually busted by pigs numerous times (not winded) and hit the content feeding call, to have them relax and go back to feeding, despite me being very exposed. This has allowed me to kill countless pigs.

Other calls, such as distress... will only move them away, unless you are right on top of them. This of this like challenging a bull elk. If you are not close enough, he will just gather up his girls and move them away. With that bull elk, you need to be close enough to be an immediate threat. Same type of logic here. Pigs just are not curious enough to come into calls at distance, they need to have an immediate need to move to the call; with the exception of feeding. But, keep in mind that you may also be calling in predators.

Hot weather keeps them nocturnal, and they do not want to expend energy, as food and water are normally in short supply, unless near a good source. In cooler months, they are more active during daylight hours. In seriously cold weather, they have a need to stay fueled up, so they can continue to produce heat to stay warm, so they are normally much more active during daylight hours.

Best of luck and keep us updated on your pig adventures.

Lastly, as some have mentioned, it is nice to know where they bed, but that is often the really thick stuff (not always). I would try to learn their entrances and exits, but otherwise, I would stay out of their bedrooms, as you are exceptionally likely to just move them out and to a new area. That does not mean you cannot consider the wind and pick a spot back out of the way and watch these exits and entrances.

AMonroe

FNG
Good hunting and good luck. I’ll be honest, I don’t have the balls to go into a thicket after a hog. I’ve lost several after they manage to get into thick cover. One thing I’ve experienced with sows is when they wind or see you, they usually let out some type of grunt and all the other hogs will take off with her. But on specifically two occasions, I heard them make some type of growl that’s just bone chilling. They don’t run away when they make this sound. I’m not afraid to admit, I backed off and called it a day. I don’t know if anybody ever heard this sound but it’s unforgettable and it’s not Bigfoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intentionally left it out so people don't think I'm phishing for someone's honey hole. Just looking for general habits/preferences.
Best tip I can offer is to find a water source and scout the edges until you find fresh sign. Pigs will always find the water wherever they are. That, and the thickest cover you can find. Those are two constants with feral pigs.

Good hunting and good luck. I’ll be honest, I don’t have the balls to go into a thicket after a hog. I’ve lost several after they manage to get into thick cover. One thing I’ve experienced with sows is when they wind or see you, they usually let out some type of grunt and all the other hogs will take off with her. But on specifically two occasions, I heard them make some type of growl that’s just bone chilling. They don’t run away when they make this sound. I’m not afraid to admit, I backed off and called it a day. I don’t know if anybody ever heard this sound but it’s unforgettable and it’s not Bigfoot.

Heard it plenty. I've killed close to 1k feral pigs in the past 30 years, many on foot and quite a few with a bow. In all those pigs, I've had exactly two come in my direction and that was only when they were cornered and wounded. Both were sows. Literally every other pig, even the biggest boars, headed away from me at the earliest opportunity.

This idea that feral pigs are dangerous can't be proven by my 1k or so sample size. But maybe I just need more experience. :D

robtattoo

WKR
Heard it plenty. I've killed close to 1k feral pigs in the past 30 years, many on foot and quite a few with a bow. In all those pigs, I've had exactly two come in my direction and that was only when they were cornered and wounded. Both were sows. Literally every other pig, even the biggest boars, headed away from me at the earliest opportunity.

This idea that feral pigs are dangerous can't be proven by my 1k or so sample size. But maybe I just need more experience. :D
Same here. You've killed more than me (I'm deep in triple digits, but not that deep!) & I've been 'charged' literally....... never. I've had 1 come at me, but I was literally standing in the only available route of escape, it was wounded & scared. It didn't make it.

AMonroe

FNG

I can’t but help but treat every wild animal with respect in that it could do damage if it wanted. It only takes once in my opinion. I served 24 years in the Infantry with 3 actual combat tours. And I give more respect to a large hog over an insurgent any day.

Azone

WKR
Same here. You've killed more than me (I'm deep in triple digits, but not that deep!) & I've been 'charged' literally....... never. I've had 1 come at me, but I was literally standing in the only available route of escape, it was wounded & scared. It didn't make it.
You guys are lucky.

You guys are lucky.
Well, that's two of us that are hundreds (or more) of pigs into this game and like him, the only pigs I've had come in my direction were doing so because I was on the only path in or out. Neither of mine made it to me either. But I suspect if I had just stepped aside they would have probably knocked me over trying to get away.

Any wild animal can be dangerous. But some people "need" animals to be dangerous for whatever reason.

Azone

WKR
Well, that's two of us that are hundreds (or more) of pigs into this game and like him, the only pigs I've had come in my direction were doing so because I was on the only path in or out. Neither of mine made it to me either. But I suspect if I had just stepped aside they would have probably knocked me over trying to get away.

Any wild animal can be dangerous. But some people "need" animals to be dangerous for whatever reason.
Standing in the middle of the exit route will make for some questionable excitement more often than not in my experience.
It’s funny how guys brag about the dangers of it, then get scared senseless as soon as the situation goes to hell.

pirogue

WKR
There is a reason you hear, “hunt em at night”. That’s because in most places that has hunting pressure( deer, hog, even squirrel), the hogs become nocturnal. I have two different parcels I deer hunt and have a few trail cameras out. Between Oct 1st and February 1st, I never got a trail camera pic of hogs during daylight hours, only nighttime. I’ve hunted these parcels for over 50 years, as they have long been in the family. The amount of hogs just increases each year, and they get smarter.

TXMedic

FNG
Lots of good info.

I've got friends down here in Texas that use Dogs to find and flush, then they run in and knife the hog themselves while they try not to get stuck in the struggle. Crazy, if you ask me.

I prefer setting up on a deer feeder with motion activated green flood lights, AR's with full magazines, a chambered pistol on one hip and a large knife on the other hip. They love corn.

"June in south-western North Carolina"

As in, the Smokeys on the TN line? You've a better chance of killing a polar bear in Florida. Not to dissuade you from a beautiful vacation, but mountain pigs in the south east are pretty much THE hardest hunting there is, unless you know a guy with a farm & a pig problem or you're chasing dogs. The terrain is far nastier than westerners think, you can't see 20 yards through most of the mountain laurel. It's 80+° & 90ish percent humidity. The mosquitoes won't steal your hat, they freaking car-jack you. The hogs are stupidly nomadic. They'll honestly cover 15 miles a day in a straight line & they're largely nocturnal. 9⁰%of pigs killed in the mountains here are accidental during deer season. The other 10% are chance encounters. In the heat of the day, they'll lay up under fallen tree roots, silly thick brush & in any dark shade they can find. The only universal truth about hogs is that they'll go to water at least twice a day. But that doesn't mean the same water. Any stink hole will do.

I've hunted them in (deep breath) Tennessee, Alabama, north & south Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi & Texas & they have super different behavior & habits in every state. One of the main reasons I love them so much, actually! You have to re-learn them everywhere you go.
only thing ill add is in WNC alot of the pigs i know get killed during bear season when bear dogs get on them.

also seems to be everyone thinks there are just pigs everywhere in the mountains in WNC, there is not. there are small sounders that move alot and are there one day gone the next. they also have a full time pig trapper in the National park that racks up pigs. The pigs in WNC are probably more wild than most other pigs in the US as they dont have access to nearly as much crop land as most places.

robtattoo

WKR
Lots of good info.

I've got friends down here in Texas that use Dogs to find and flush, then they run in and knife the hog themselves while they try not to get stuck in the struggle. Crazy, if you ask me.

I prefer setting up on a deer feeder with motion activated green flood lights, AR's with full magazines, a chambered pistol on one hip and a large knife on the other hip. They love corn.
That'll hands down get you more shots, but stalking around in this stuff is, to me, the single most enjoyable type of hunting there is....
FB_IMG_1646000840949.jpg
20220226_162750.jpg
20220226_162759.jpg

I spotted this boar walking down a dry creek last weekend. He spotted us and started running. In my experience, once a pig starts running, they run straight and don't change direction unless forced to. We jumped in my truck and raced along side the creek until we got close enough to make a decent shot. Even though we lost sight of him for a minute or so, because he never deviated from the direction he was running, we found him and I was able to make the shot while he was in full sprint. If you are able to hunt close to the truck, something to keep in mind.

20220225_174640.jpg

20220225_173622.jpg

AMonroe

FNG
Most of the time they do run away. But to make it sound like hogs are cowards is not the perception that needs to be spread. These guys are fast, big and built like a tank. I used to watch hog zombies a lot. And what I respect is that they kept safety as a priority. I hunt hogs to eat them and to reduce their ever growing population. I’ve never heard of a hunting tip that goes the opposite way of safety.

I have never been charged by a wild pig, ever. However, I have harvested plenty where they have been hit good, and ran into thicker stuff (I have never lost a pig, fortunately). I have had numerous pigs, lay down facing the way I came in from, in a position ready to charge me. Fortunately for me, they expired prior to me finding them there. A wounded and/or dying pig is not an animal to take lightly. They can and will defend themselves to their last breath.

Last edited:

robertchutch

Lil-Rokslider
Here in GA i can get to seeing or hearing them fairly regularly
maybe florida is different but over in the newport wma in saint marks I got charged literally every time i went stalking for them. mean bastards