Wild turkey breakfast sausage?

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
other than the MeatEater recipe, does anyone have a turkey breakfast sausage link recipe to recommend? I wouldn’t be opposed to trying a store bought seasoning blend.

I used this one for my turkey sausage, it’s been very good.

Their summer sausage kit is very good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnMuley

WKR
I make 50-100 lbs of wild turkey/pork butt sausage every year out of the turkeys wing, leg, and thigh meat. I don't make venison sausage anymore, because this trumps it by a landslide. I've made over 20 varieties of breakfast and Italian sausage. I would recommend going on the Spokane Spice Company's website and ordering your seasonings. You can order as low as 5# sample packages. I've used tried them all and my favorites are the Sully's Blend, Rebel, Hunters Sausage, and Harvey's Hot. I also use Lepps Blend 10 quite a bit. We honestly prefer our sausage over Jimmy Dean's any day.

kjw

WKR
I make 50-100 lbs of wild turkey/pork butt sausage every year out of the turkeys wing, leg, and thigh meat. I don't make venison sausage anymore, because this trumps it by a landslide. I've made over 20 varieties of breakfast and Italian sausage. I would recommend going on the Spokane Spice Company's website and ordering your seasonings. You can order as low as 5# sample packages. I've used tried them all and my favorites are the Sully's Blend, Rebel, Hunters Sausage, and Harvey's Hot. I also use Lepps Blend 10 quite a bit. We honestly prefer our sausage over Jimmy Dean's any day.
That sounds amazing, are you doing anything particular to remove all the tendons and stuff from the legs? I’ve slow cooked them before and eventually it all peels apart and I can get to just the meat. I usually don’t get enough turkeys to dive into this but my curiosity is peaked. My brother in law lives in Tennessee and is obsessed with turkeys and never uses the legs so this could help. Thanks

I used this one for my turkey sausage, it’s been very good.

Their summer sausage kit is very good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, I’ve used this for deer and wild pig and was very good. Their Italian sausage seasoning is one of my favorites. Very pleased with everything I’ve bought from P&s

MtnMuley

WKR
That sounds amazing, are you doing anything particular to remove all the tendons and stuff from the legs? I’ve slow cooked them before and eventually it all peels apart and I can get to just the meat. I usually don’t get enough turkeys to dive into this but my curiosity is peaked. My brother in law lives in Tennessee and is obsessed with turkeys and never uses the legs so this could help. Thanks
I remove the the thighs/legs from the thigh joint. From there I poke my knife in the through the 3 or 4 hard flat bones on the lower leg at the knee knuckle and cut them out working up to the thigh. Then I make a ring around the rest. From there I bone the thigh around the bone working down to that ring. When I get the meat free of the main bone, I grab the big loose meat chunk and twist a couple times and pull upwards leaving most of the tendons on the bone. From there I will wash and pick thoroughly and soak in a light salt water for a day or two. Then I trim the yellow fat off and all remaining tendons. Time consuming, but I avg 2.5 to 3 lbs of boneless trimmed meat for grind per bird ( including the top two parts of the wings). I normally mix that with 50% pork butt for the grind.

kjw

WKR
I remove the the thighs/legs from the thigh joint. From there I poke my knife in the through the 3 or 4 hard flat bones on the lower leg at the knee knuckle and cut them out working up to the thigh. Then I make a ring around the rest. From there I bone the thigh around the bone working down to that ring. When I get the meat free of the main bone, I grab the big loose meat chunk and twist a couple times and pull upwards leaving most of the tendons on the bone. From there I will wash and pick thoroughly and soak in a light salt water for a day or two. Then I trim the yellow fat off and all remaining tendons. Time consuming, but I avg 2.5 to 3 lbs of boneless trimmed meat for grind per bird ( including the top two parts of the wings). I normally mix that with 50% pork butt for the grind.
Time consuming indeed but definitely going to give it a try. Thanks!!

Tod osier

WKR
other than the MeatEater recipe, does anyone have a turkey breakfast sausage link recipe to recommend? I wouldn’t be opposed to trying a store bought seasoning blend.

I have found that getting a good bind in the sausage with turkey is tougher or more picky than most other meats. I don't know what it is, but I've gotten off quality over bound sausage a couple times. More non turkey meat is a good thing. I've been doing 3 turkey to 2 pork belly (belly being about 1:1 fat to meat). I've had poor success with adding just backfat to turkey. No idea why, I have good technique and have made hundreds of pounds of dozens of kinds of sausage.

I use the breakfast sausage recipe out of Ruhlman and Polcyn's "Charcuterie". Made a lot last year (bacon as the belly in this batch).

HApQfpp.jpg

TQUTmnY.jpg

Gotta watch for these. Busted a grinder blade and a tooth last year.

QZI3KHk.jpg