Wildcat Composites Stock - which paint will last?

AKMoose

WKR
Have a wildcat stock on order from Stuart (awesome guy to work with). Super excited to get it in hand and start working on - I have found tons of helpful forums on finishing out one of these stocks. So many different options for paint and so many different opinions - the only problem is you always hear what people painted with for XYZ reason - but you never see the long term results.

That being said I wanted to ask the question - how has your paint job on your stock lasted? Has it chipped, faded, scratched? Would you recommend doing what you did again? Method used and products used would be helpful.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Find out what clear coat Stuart himself uses... He had mine dipped and he sprayed it with a super tough clear, textured finish.. It's survived tins of miles in my saddle scabbard and a tough season in the sheep hills with no signs of wear..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
59a775ce9251a43f364127cb7af52cc2.jpg

OP
A

AKMoose

WKR
Looks great! I think he probably has a full professional spray booth and nice setup. Im hoping to either use some product in a spray can or take it to a local paint shop. Ive seen lots of people use the Krylon 'stone' paint which I think looks really nice, but just not sure how it lasts.

Are you setup with a HVLP or spray gun? If you want super durable, see if you can get some Dupont Imron or current equivalent. You'll definitely want a spray booth, or do it outside wearing PPE. Otherwise, just do a good surface prep and primer before you lay down your final colors.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
A

AKMoose

WKR
No painting setup currently, but have an air compressor and willing to buy a spray gun if thats what it takes. No spray booth, but do have PPE. I wonder if some local autobody/paint guy would be willing to take a side project and spray it - he would already have all the supplies and maybe even that paint and could just mix to my color preference. Only thing I dont think he would have is texture to add - I want that grippy feel.

Truck bed liner? Anyone ever tried that? Would probably be heavy, but it is durable.

Brownells Aluma-hyde, this stuff is amazing!

OP
A

AKMoose

WKR
The aluma-hyde looks intriguing. Wonder if I could get some type of texture underneath it. Also curious who make aluma-hyde for them - might be just a re-branding of someone elses product.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
No painting setup currently, but have an air compressor and willing to buy a spray gun if thats what it takes. No spray booth, but do have PPE. I wonder if some local autobody/paint guy would be willing to take a side project and spray it - he would already have all the supplies and maybe even that paint and could just mix to my color preference. Only thing I dont think he would have is texture to add - I want that grippy feel.

Truck bed liner? Anyone ever tried that? Would probably be heavy, but it is durable.
I'm certain a shop would hook you up..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

OP
A

AKMoose

WKR
Any other thoughts? Leaning towards the brownells aluma-hyde at this point, and some sort of texture underneath it hopefully.

I’ve been happy with alumahyde that I sprayed onto the barrel and receiver of an 11-87 shotgun. Follow the instructions about warming the parts and curing for a week . It will take on the texture of whatever is is underneath, in my case that matte parkerized texture of the newer sportsman series Remington shotguns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

AKMoose

WKR
I just built and painted my own stock. I used durakote. The paint seems pretty tough and was easy to mix/spray. Bought the scorpion2/multi cam kit and some stencils. Came out pretty sweet I think.

Yeah that looks great - nice job. How did you do the texture on the grip areas Or was that part of the stock you bought?

Yeah that looks great - nice job. How did you do the texture on the grip areas Or was that part of the stock you bought?

The stock is a heavily modified Boyd’s laminate. The grip texture is JB Weld dabbed on with a sponge. I posted the full build in the firearms forum bout a week or so ago if you want to check it out.