Wilderness and mental health

Did 7 years in the Army as a Tanker, during which every issue that I didn’t realize I had, came out tenfold. My self destructive/violent irrational behavior coupled with my propensity for inducing risk, turned me a little wild.
I got out and became a federal Correctional Officer to help fill the hole the Army left. Being a CO this last year and change turned me way worse, hard to calm down sometimes, taking a vengeful approach to people when they would slander or disrespect me, Didnt leave the prison so to speak.
The only thing that has been my therapy is getting all kitted up in my mountain gear and rolling out to somewhere remote. It almost brings me this sort of physical state where I’m in a trance of pure ‘living’. Hard to describe honestly. For me it gives me that gearing up for a mission feeling, that I miss the most from the Army, but the mental clarity and high of being alive in nature.

I just quit my federal job and decided to pursue what brings me that feeling of mental health. I’m going to guide school and hopefully will be hired next year for a season out west of helping as a camp hand with an outfitter. I started to naturally dose with low amounts THC too, seems to literally be perfect for me. Wilderness and a little bit of THC.
I wonder if anyone has any experience with micro-dosing Psilocybin or ‘shrooms’ and how that has helped or didnt for depression.

I feel more sane than I ever have. I wonder if Native American medicine practices would benefit. I’m extremely curious to any native tribes practices, if anyone has any information on that, I’d soak it up.

The wilds truly are therapeutic medicine. I feel like the more time you spend in the wild the closer you get to true consciousness.

Rich M

WKR
I saw an article the other day about folks needing X amount of time outside every day.

Have you sought professional help for your "aggression"? Tough living a life of vengeance & violence.

Go easy on those hunters you guide in the future.

PSplay

FNG
Sounds like you are on a good path already! Limited exposure to people to bring out the bad thoughts. Plus, with a guide position, you only have to be nice to people for a limited time while sharing your passion with them.

amassi

WKR
Quite a few of my fellow Marines changed their lives with shrooms and or ayahuasca. Went from having no quality of life nor family connections to "cured" for lack of a better term. A Long weekend did more than a decade of VA drugs and therapy

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Many of the veterans I work with have responded well to getting into the gym and “ getting after it”. Wide open for a period of time. I always discuss studying the Bible and the difference that makes throughout life and the importance of having Jesus Christ in our life. The outdoors is always a hit with many that have served. Best of luck with your race and learning to find peace and structure.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Do what ever you have to do to get it under control before you take out any clients. Going off on them would not be good for business.
I don’t just go off on folks really, it’s just hard once your worked up to come back down. My wife owns her own business, I know better.

amassi

WKR
I don’t just go off on folks really, it’s just hard once your worked up to come back down. My wife owns her own business, I know better.
I'd imagine clients might be a touch more agreeable than inmates as well.

WRM

WKR
I'd ayahuasc, but man I hate to puke.

Feel for you tho. I have the same feeling towards the outdoors and being right by myself.

amassi

WKR
Have you guided before?
No but I've been to prison.
4d04f6be0177f9c8ddbe995d16892ef0.gif

amassi

WKR
I'd ayahuasc, but man I hate to puke.

Feel for you tho. I have the same feeling towards the outdoors and being right by myself.
No one I've talked to remembers getting sick although all did. By the time the nausea kicks in they must have gone someplace else.

WRM

WKR
No one I've talked to remembers getting sick although all did. By the time the nausea kicks in they must have gone someplace else.

Interesting. I saw a special on it years ago and you'd certainly not want to remember that part of it. It was like a bout of food poisoning.

I guess they went wherever the healing happens.

I’ve also heard great things about ayahuasca. Never tried it myself because I don’t like hallucinogens. Hopefully guiding will agree with you. The outdoors is certainly good for your insides.

Wags

WKR
Quite a few of my fellow Marines changed their lives with shrooms and or ayahuasca. Went from having no quality of life nor family connections to "cured" for lack of a better term. A Long weekend did more than a decade of VA drugs and therapy

I know of numerous stories that mirror this from guys I served with. I wish I were able to do the same but my career path wont allow it.

Many of the veterans I work with have responded well to getting into the gym and “ getting after it”. Wide open for a period of time. I always discuss studying the Bible and the difference that makes throughout life and the importance of having Jesus Christ in our life. The outdoors is always a hit with many that have served. Best of luck with your race and learning to find peace and structure.

The gym certainly helps me manage. Making that time & hunting/fishing time a priority helps me keep myself centered. That time in the woods and on the water is priceless for my mental & physical health.

All of us are different and all of have our own ways of coping. I'm just happy to see people finding a way to manage and confront these feelings in a healthy way. I've seen too many go the opposite with it....