Wilderness Athlete products

Anyone on here have any experience with the Altitude Advantage pills good or bad? Just wondering if the work very well. Never been to high altitude so I don’t know what it will be like. Thought this might be cheap insurance if it really works. Any advice is appreciated!

rob86jeep

WKR
I don't have any experience with them, but I doubt any over the counter "supplement" is going to do much for you. Your best bet is to stay really hydrated, try to acclimate a little before going too high, and try to take it easy your first day or two.

Poser

WKR
I took them one season when I lived close to sea level before moving out West. I can’t say if they made any contribution or not. I have suspicions about them actually improving the oxygen levels in your blood and, if they do, it’s likely so insignificant that the performance difference cannot be perceived. That being said, they may offer some relief from the discomforts of altitude. On that front, you might try supplementing some B12 as the most reasonable expectation you can have is to not feel like crap and lack energy and motivation.

Hondo

WKR
I don't have any experience with them, but I doubt any over the counter "supplement" is going to do much for you. Your best bet is to stay really hydrated, try to acclimate a little before going too high, and try to take it easy your first day or two.

This is sound advice in my experience. I had never experienced altitude sickness until a few year ago when I was forced by circumstances to go against these basic rules. On my way to camp in Wyoming from Texas my fuel pump went out putting me behind a couple of days so I did not have the normal time to acclimate before hitting it hard setting up base camp for a very hot and dry Archery season start. Sleep deprivation and caffeine intake were contributing factors as well. After 2 days and hauling in gear and provisions I spent my first night at 8300 feet and it hit me hard. I was drinking lots of water but I was dehydrated due to caffeine intake and lack of electrolytes. After a clinic visit and acetazolamide prescription plus an abundance of electrolytes I was fine for the next 2 months at altitude.

I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy so revised game plan is to take preventative supplements (they can't hurt) and get the prescription beforehand in case I need it. Most importantly is to get acclimated to altitude, ease into it and be well hydrated. I use Liquid IV now and avoid caffeine.

OP
A
Thanks guys. Great info! This will be my first trip out west. Excited and a little intimidated at the same time.

YES, they will probably help you with the effects of altitude. But I normally use a different product called altitude adjustment.

I first used the drug mentioned above and it worked. But it has side effects. Makes you pee more, makes your fingers tingle and makes any carbonated beverage taste nasty!!

So I took my meds on my trips but used altitude adjustment instead. That was 20 years ago and I have never needed the meds again.

Most people don’t get true altitude sickness (I didn’t) but get some bothersome effects from altitude. I have headaches, pounding heart, shortness of breath, and couldn’t go to sleep. All that went away with altitude adjustment.

Couple of times I used the one from wilderness Athelete instead and they seemed to work as well. My wife uses them too and it helps her as well. Every person I know that has the effects I experience have been helped when they use of of these products. They are cheap and worth it

This is what I get. Sold online from a store in Colorado. Each packet of pills is a 3 day supply so we each get 2 packages per person each time we go. $5/ pkg so $10/person/ trip. Start the day before we leave and go for 6 days.

rob86jeep

WKR
One more tip; altitude sickness goes away pretty quickly if you drop altitude right away. If you start feeling sick/throwing up while heading up the mountain, I would either drop back down about 500-1k feet or just stop right there and set up camp for the night. It's worth the small setback in hunting to make sure you don't end up in the hospital or stuck at camp for a full day due to fatigue when you could be hunting.

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
Should be supplementing with magnesium