Wilderness EMS

cfdjay

WKR
Hey all. I posted a similar question a couple years ago as a new member. I can only assume there are many more members since that may have some more info/experience in this realm. I'm currently a Firefighter/Medic and looking to add my wilderness ems cert. I see a few programs out there but it looks like NOLS is the way to go. They have an 8 day expedition where you hike/camp/fish/learn wilderness ems. It's for medical professionals such as Docs, RNs, and Medics. Anyone have any experience with any of these courses? Definitely looking for an immersion type atmosphere and not a classroom. Thanks!

WKR
I'm a flightmedic. I actually used to work for WMI before it was sold to NOLS. I have also taken the WMA (wilderness medical association) WALS.

In my personal experience WMA courses are geared towards working professionals and WMI towards the enthusiast. And WMA isn't trying to sell you something every 30 minutes, which was part of the job description for WMI instructors.

YMMV

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
I'm a flightmedic. I actually used to work for WMI before it was sold to NOLS. I have also taken the WMA (wilderness medical association) WALS.

In my personal experience WMA courses are geared towards working professionals and WMI towards the enthusiast. And WMA isn't trying to sell you something every 30 minutes, which was part of the job description for WMI instructors.

YMMV

That's great info. Are you familiar with Solo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Although I have to say, that nols trip sounds pretty damn fun. What are they asking, around$3,000?

I can break down the basic principles if you're just interested in information. Pretty simple concepts that you will already have most of but maybe hadn't looked at them in that light.

Really depends on what you want out of it.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
Although I have to say, that nols trip sounds pretty damn fun. What are they asking, around$3,000?

I can break down the basic principles if you're just interested in information. Pretty simple concepts that you will already have most of but maybe hadn't looked at them in that light.

Really depends on what you want out of it.

Yeah! I'm really torn. NOLS has the expedition with some education and WMA seems to be all education with no expedition! I get tuition reimbursement as long as they are accredited which both are I believe. So any and all info you can pass on will be of help. Here's my email if it's easier

[email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
WMA will be lots of outside scenarios, and probably a long involved night scenario.

My opinion on wilderness/remote location ALS - is a plumber still a plumber with out his tools, or is he just a guy that knows some stuff about some shit?

What's the point of cardiac drugs with out a monitor?

Where is the liability when an agency responds to a remote location and alters their ALS load out?

If your dept will pay, go have fun and treat it as paid vacation with a little learning.
I got offered a job at the end of WALS, you probably will to.

WKR
If you want to take it to email, that's fine. Nothing I won't post here that I would do privately. I have no affiliation with either, haven't for years, and have no bad blood towards either. I'll give you my honest take.

WKR
I know a bunch (most?) of the current WMI staff/instructors from the top of the company to the field instructors. I can honestly say that they are some of the most genuine and intelligent people I've known/interacted with in my lifetime. I can't think of a single person within that group who wouldn't fit that description.

WKR
I know a bunch (most?) of the current WMI staff/instructors from the top of the company to the field instructors. I can honestly say that they are some of the most genuine and intelligent people I've known/interacted with in my lifetime. I can't think of a single person within that group who wouldn't fit that description.
If anything I said implied differently, that wasn't my intention. There are many ways to skin a cat. The day Bug called me and ask if I'd be interested in working for her and Buck was a big day for me and I was proud to work for them and be part of that small family of instructors.

WKR
If anything I said implied differently, that wasn't my intention. There are many ways to skin a cat. The day Bug called me and ask if I'd be interested in working for her and Buck was a big day for me and I was proud to work for them and be part of that small family of instructors.

I don't think you implied differently at all. Just sharing my experience with the WMI group.

WKR
Cool, just making sure. Small community.