Wilderness First Aid or Education?

Joe5000

FNG
Have a little downtime and would like to read up on some wildnerness first aid or education that hopefully I will never need to use in the future. Any suggestions of good online courses/books/websites? Thanks

dtrkyman

WKR
Meateater had a doctor on a podcast a while back, worth a listen.

Big advocate of carrying a tourniquet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob86jeep

WKR
I don't know if they offer T-CCC (Tactical Combat Casualty Care) for civilians but if so, I would recommend that. There will be some parts (like care under fire) which don't matter outside of combat, but the rest is focused on immediate life saving measures which could really come into play in a back country setting.

The below link is a free online version of a book I have carried in my pack for overseas and long term wilderness trips. The paper book is smaller than a Louis L'Amour paperback. The author has a very impressive amount of wilderness medical and ER experience and was a medical officer for the Himalayan Rescue Association. I like the book because the author knows that you are in a wilderness setting and can't call 911 so it covers subjects that most other first aid manuals will not cover. Like sections on how to set a dislocated shoulder, treat a sucking chest wound/tension pneumothorax, fractures, lightning, and perform an emergency cricothyrotomy, etc.

1589419773529.png

OP
J

Joe5000

FNG
The below link is a free online version of a book I have carried in my pack for overseas and long term wilderness trips. The paper book is smaller than a Louis L'Amour paperback. The author has a very impressive amount of wilderness medical and ER experience and was a medical officer for the Himalayan Rescue Association. I like the book because the author knows that you are in a wilderness setting and can't call 911 so it covers subjects that most other first aid manuals will not cover. Like sections on how to set a dislocated shoulder, treat a sucking chest wound/tension pneumothorax, fractures, lightning, and perform an emergency cricothyrotomy, etc.

View attachment 180919

thanks!