Wilderness horseback preparation

Hey guys, what’s the best way to prepare for extended periods on horseback? Going on 8 day wilderness hunt in Sep, and we are riding 20 miles in and then riding out from camp every morning. Assuming a sore a$$ is to be expected, but is there any core or leg work that can help prepare for long hours in a saddle?

PNWGATOR

WKR
I equate it to carrying a backpack in the mountains. Best way to get ready for carrying a pack in the mountains, is to train by carrying a pack in the mountains. Same with being in the saddle. Get in the saddle. It’ll not only let you know what gets sore and what to work on, but it’ll improve your horsemanship, especially in the event of unforeseen challenges.

rayporter

WKR
the only preparation i have found that truly works is to ride. if it is your horse start in july at the latest. if
you are going on an outfitted trip try hard to find a way to ride before you go. thats a lot of miles in the saddle for someone not used to it.

a lot more than your butt will be sore. your knees will be sore and your ankles, too. your back will ache more than you expect.

bozeman

WKR
Budrows Butt Paste for the chaffing.....you may laugh but on day 3 I could have sold it for Bitcoin.....lol. They all laughed day one, I was laughing by day 3.

As mentioned, find someone who has a horse. I watched a guy fall off sideways while going back in the dark, probably the funniest thing I’ve ever seen.......good luck, stay safe and have fun! Enjoy the scenery and soak in the hunt.

Marble

WKR
Wear a base layer or base ball sliding pants for padding if you get sore. This usually only happens when the saddle doesn't fit you well.

Make sure your stirrups are adjusted correctly.

Relax....

Probably the biggest thing I've noticed with first time riders is they are so tense. They get tired just riding and are sore all over from being tense. Just relax. The horse can feel every movement you make. If you're nervous, the horse will be nervous.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
stretch. lots and lots of stretching. knee ligaments, groin, hips and calves. Get them limber as possible.

Old saying, if your knees hurt stirrups are to high. if your butt hurts, stirrups are to long. if everything hurts stirrups are just right....

Fordguy

WKR
I'll second the motion to relax. Move with the horse, not against the horse. Both your body and the horse will thank you for it.
Keep your weight over your butt, and your butt in contact with the saddle. Instinct for many people is to lean forward when they start to lose balance. Ignore that. If you lose your balance while leaning forward you're less likely to regain it.
Wear biker pants under your jeans if you're concerned about chafing, so the jeans slide against something other than your skin. Wear underwear that contain the boys. NOT BOXERS.
This is coming from someone who used to ride competitively (Endurance). So 25-30 miles in 2 hours or so, 50 miles in 5 to 6 hours.
I probably have more tips, but those are what come to mind at the moment.

Get out and ride as much as possible before the trip.

buzzy

WKR
Have your core and legs in shape as this will help a lot. I ride occasionally and find going to spin classes helps with getting my butt in shape for a long day in the saddle.

I have not tried them but some swear silk long Johns really help.

Best advice I got is if it gets western and the horse is going to bolt or it bolts pull as hard as you can on one of your reins to pull his head back and in towards you to send him into circles. That saved my butt a few times. Once it calms down get the bell off.

rayporter

WKR
any synthetic long johns will help and the padded butt undies do help quite a bit.

another good idea is to ride in the pants you will hunt in before you go. some pants have a thick inseam that will rub you raw. same with the long johns.

Last edited:

Aviator

WKR
I’ve got the same deal going this fall, the only thing that hurts me riding is my dang knees! And I don’t know what to do to remedy it.

Fordguy

WKR
Take your feet out of the stirrups for short stretches and let them hang. It will help the knees.

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
Makes sure your boots fit in the stirrups, adjust them properly, wear padded bicycling spandex, relax and move with the horse.
Be calm. Remember a horse knows when a fly lands on its ass. If you are nervous the horse will know and may act out of sorts.
Get some rides in before. Atleast 1 for 20 miles.

Deadfall

WKR
Stretching....stretching....stretching....Get flexible as possible....

Ever see a bronc rider that looks like a body builder.....Wiry is where it's at.

Stretch the joints.

Start now not month before

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Take riding lessons. I can guarantee someone near where you live offers them. It’ll get your body acclimated, and give you a chance to understand horses before you spend a week riding them. And for the love of all that is holy, do not take your feet out of stirrups while riding. That is horrible advice. The nature of horses are unpredictable and at any point in time s**t can hit the fan. If you don’t have your feet in the stirrups I can almost guarantee you’ll fall off. The very best thing you could do for yourself is take riding lessons. Some wranglers aren’t as experienced with horses as you would expect, do yourself a solid and gain your own confidence.

Horses are my life, I work with them every day. I ride with a few different outfitters in my area when time allows, so I’ve seen my share of stupidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ram94

WKR
Take riding lessons. I can guarantee someone near where you live offers them. It’ll get your body acclimated, and give you a chance to understand horses before you spend a week riding them. And for the love of all that is holy, do not take your knees out of stirrups while riding. That is horrible advice. The nature of horses are unpredictable and at any point in time s**t can hit the fan. If you don’t have your feet in the stirrups I can almost guarantee you’ll fall off. The very best thing you could do for yourself is take riding lessons. Some wranglers aren’t as experienced with horses as you would expect, do yourself a solid and gain your own confidence.

Horses are my life, I work with them every day. I ride with a few different outfitters in my area when time allows, so I’ve seen my share of stupidity.

Please for the love of god, don’t try to put your knees in the stirrups.

Take riding lessons. I can guarantee someone near where you live offers them. It’ll get your body acclimated, and give you a chance to understand horses before you spend a week riding them. And for the love of all that is holy, do not take your knees out of stirrups while riding. That is horrible advice. The nature of horses are unpredictable and at any point in time s**t can hit the fan. If you don’t have your feet in the stirrups I can almost guarantee you’ll fall off. The very best thing you could do for yourself is take riding lessons. Some wranglers aren’t as experienced with horses as you would expect, do yourself a solid and gain your own confidence.

Whatever you do do NOT think about wearing your day pack while riding. Other than that build your leg strength. If you have somewhere to ride at home anything will help make you more comfortable and confident. And..... your horse WILL sense that. Good luck!

Last edited:

Ralphie

WKR
Don’t be afraid to get off and walk periodically, especially down hill.

Ride before hand as much as you can in the clothes that you’ll wear on the ride into camp.

Fordguy

WKR
Take riding lessons. I can guarantee someone near where you live offers them. It’ll get your body acclimated, and give you a chance to understand horses before you spend a week riding them. And for the love of all that is holy, do not take your feet out of stirrups while riding. That is horrible advice. The nature of horses are unpredictable and at any point in time s**t can hit the fan. If you don’t have your feet in the stirrups I can almost guarantee you’ll fall off. The very best thing you could do for yourself is take riding lessons. Some wranglers aren’t as experienced with horses as you would expect, do yourself a solid and gain your own confidence.

In all likelihood more people are seriously injured from getting hung up in stirrups than from falling off. Take a look at any saddle bronc rider who gets hung up vs one who comes off immediately. Taking your feet out of the stirrups for a brief stretch is fine. No one said anything about riding for extended lengths of time without stirrups. Most people would find that as uncomfortable as the knee issues that prompted the suggestion in the first place. Would I recommend it when you were scaling a steep incline or on a switchback that offers a few feet between the rider and a dangerous drop? Of Course not.
Over the course of my life, I've been in rodeo, the show ring, endurance, training, given decades worth of riding lessons, covered many thousands of miles on the trail, and the list goes on. Many of my lessons students began bareback with no saddle or stirrups- My goodness, its a miracle that they're still among the living!
Beyond that, some of my friends have wrangled for outfits in Montana and Colorado if memory serves ( probably a decade ago now) but to the point- any wrangler who puts someone on a horse beyond their skill level needs a new job.

Last edited: