Wilderness horseback preparation

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I stand by what I said. You have decades of horse experience and feel for what a horse is and will do. A beginner does not. If you get sore knees, get off and stretch and walk a bit. I’ve seen enough head injuries from guys that have come off and enough from people that got hung up to make my own opinions. The OP can make his own decisions. If he were on my string and he was hanging his feet I’d either tell him to walk or put his feet back in the stirrups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Thank you all for the recommendations. I sincerely appreciate all your feedback and will begin implementing these suggestions as I contiue to prep for the hunt. Rokslide members are awesome!

TX_Diver

WKR
You're riding 20 miles in and out each day?

Or you're riding 20 miles in, then riding to/from that camp daily?

If you're riding 20 miles in/out each day I'd book elsewhere! If 20 miles to basecamp then day trips from there then follow the advice already given and post some pics and a report later.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
You're riding 20 miles in and out each day?

Or you're riding 20 miles in, then riding to/from that camp daily?

If you're riding 20 miles in/out each day I'd book elsewhere! If 20 miles to basecamp then day trips from there then follow the advice already given and post some pics and a report later.
20 miles to basecamp then day trips from there.

Thank you!

Brooks

WKR
I’ve been riding horses all my life...find a place to ride as much as you can so you got the hang of it. You will probably be riding dude horses but learn how to control a horse . I sometimes ride in my loose fitting cowboy boots and hang a pair of hunting boots off the saddle. When riding in hunting boots just put your toes in the stirrup or they might not come out if you come off..

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I’ve been riding horses all my life...find a place to ride as much as you can so you got the hang of it. You will probably be riding dude horses but learn how to control a horse . I sometimes ride in my loose fitting cowboy boots and hang a pair of hunting boots off the saddle. When riding in hunting boots just put your toes in the stirrup or they might not come out if you come off..
Thank you for the response. I have some experience riding but am certainly a beginner. Below are the basics I was taught.

-heels down, only toes in the stirrups
-squeeze with heels and knees to stay on
-kick lightly with heels to get going
-lean forward to go up steep grade, lean back to go down steep grade (don't pull reins all the way back)
-left/right with reins to turn
-let horse have rein to go, pull back to slow/stop
-use saddle horn for "handle" or leverage, not the reins
-remain calm and relax
-every horse has its own personality and attitude. some like to lead and some are happy to follow.

When you pull back to stop be sure to release the pressure and don’t keep holding back. Your horse will back up or start dancing.

As far as pulling boots out of the stirrups goes..... and yes I’ve ridden horses for decades, when I get to a shaky spot in the trail I pull my boots part way out. I’ll keep just the toes in and still keep pressure in the stirrups. No “dead assing” but I can bail out fast. In all my life I’ve only had to dismount twice. Both times for the same reason. Two feet deep fresh snow. Hard to stay on the trail. Horse slowly slid off the downhill side while I stepped off calmly to the uphill side. Hold the reigns and calmly coaxed my horse back up onto the trail. It went very smooth.... but I was ready and I am not afraid or even nervous.

Maybe get some plastic safety glasses to wear for when you are riding out in the dark mornings (for limbs to the face)

Marble

WKR
Here's a tip...don't wear pants...like cathartic when riding. For me, the rivet in the butt area gave me a pretty sore spot.

Some horses like to rub against trees as they go or there might be a tree that is close to the trail. Don't let it catch your pants and rip them. Also, don't hold onto trees or branches as they go by. It's good way to get a shoulder injury.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

LaGriz

WKR
You have some wonderful advice here. I don't ride often. This is my take, learned as a nimrod on my few horseback hunts.

On one trip I was waring Danner boots with air bob souls. They wanted to stick in the stirrups. Can't emphasize enough the need for good fitting stirrups even if you have to buy them. On the 1st horseback hunt the cook was horse kicked and had to leave camp. They thought he had a broken leg. Was not the case, but he did not return. put a damper on the mood in camp. It can go bad real quick and you need to avoid that drama.

Always approach the horses from an angle (not the rear) and don't surprise them. They often bite each other, and may spook thinking you are another horse. Keep your hands on him if you must side around behind him. Let him know your there and by keeping close he will have less leverage should decide to throw a kick. Be up front with guide on your level of horsemanship. Often these animals are rentals and the wrangler or guide may not know their quirks. I don't want a horse named Tornado, Muy Loco, spooky, Killer or the like. Listen to your guide. When stopping consider removing (carefully) your rifle from the scabbard. Just in case the horse decides to roll. He will try and eat at every opportunity. Don't let him have his way all the time. Control him as if you are in charge. Should the animal be a slow walker, be prepared for a dash to catch up once he realizes he is falling behind. Pay attention to your mount's body English. Alert your guide/wrangler if you suspect a problem, irritation, or possible issue with the tack. In the dark he will tense up just before sprinting up an incline so be ready to lean in and help him climb. I still remember the "sparks in the dark" from a shoe striking a rock. My eyes were so dilatated as we were riding in complete darkness. The flash of light stayed on my retina for 30 seconds or more. Cool memory!

Communicate with the Outfitter, Guide, or Wrangler. Don't be too demanding or a winy pest, but do speak up on what you prefer and what you can expect. Request another horse if you deem it necessary. Don't forget you are paying for this service and your safety and preference matters.

I'm envious of your pending adventure. Have a safe and successful hunt.
LaGriz

Speaking of horses rubbing up against trees.... some of them have a habit of doing it all the time. But if you reach out and push off of the tree it’ll push the horse sideways a little since you’re up high with leverage. After awhile if you keep that up you’ll break them of that habit.

When I’m packing with a string of horses or mules behind me I’ll slap and rub trees that are close to the trail so the critter behind me wakes up. It keeps them from banging loads off of the tree. They’ll skirt around it. Works every time. Lots of little tricks of the trade to having a smooth ride.

Brooks

WKR
You’ve got the basics. I’m sure your outfitter is going to have horses that have been there done that... and you probably are only going to have to follow your guide around and the horse will probably just go where ever the guides horse goes. If a horse is acting a little hot you can pull the rein towards your knee to flex him and make him turn in circles a few times to calm him down and get his mind off what’s making him hot. I love hunting on horses !!
Thank you for the response. I have some experience riding but am certainly a beginner. Below are the basics I was taught.

-heels down, only toes in the stirrups
-squeeze with heels and knees to stay on
-kick lightly with heels to get going
-lean forward to go up steep grade, lean back to go down steep grade (don't pull reins all the way back)
-left/right with reins to turn
-let horse have rein to go, pull back to slow/stop
-use saddle horn for "handle" or leverage, not the reins
-remain calm and relax
-every horse has its own personality and attitude. some like to lead and some are happy to follow.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't ride a horse a lot, so take this for what it is worth...

Find a way to go ride horses before just to get used to it. I wish there were a magic gym exercise that prepared you for it but I haven't found it yet.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Thanks again for all the responses. Heard back from the outfitter today, and he said that we will take breaks as often as needed to get down and stretch to help prevent soreness. He also recommended riding as much as possible beforehand as we will be sore in places we didn't know we have muscles. LOL! He liked the idea of padded shorts underneath for the long ride as well.

He plans to shoot a video to send out ahead of time of "riding 101" so to speak, and when we arrive he will give another thorough lesson to help prepare.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
You have some wonderful advice here. I don't ride often. This is my take, learned as a nimrod on my few horseback hunts.

On one trip I was waring Danner boots with air bob souls. They wanted to stick in the stirrups. Can't emphasize enough the need for good fitting stirrups even if you have to buy them. On the 1st horseback hunt the cook was horse kicked and had to leave camp. They thought he had a broken leg. Was not the case, but he did not return. put a damper on the mood in camp. It can go bad real quick and you need to avoid that drama.

Always approach the horses from an angle (not the rear) and don't surprise them. They often bite each other, and may spook thinking you are another horse. Keep your hands on him if you must side around behind him. Let him know your there and by keeping close he will have less leverage should decide to throw a kick. Be up front with guide on your level of horsemanship. Often these animals are rentals and the wrangler or guide may not know their quirks. I don't want a horse named Tornado, Muy Loco, spooky, Killer or the like. Listen to your guide. When stopping consider removing (carefully) your rifle from the scabbard. Just in case the horse decides to roll. He will try and eat at every opportunity. Don't let him have his way all the time. Control him as if you are in charge. Should the animal be a slow walker, be prepared for a dash to catch up once he realizes he is falling behind. Pay attention to your mount's body English. Alert your guide/wrangler if you suspect a problem, irritation, or possible issue with the tack. In the dark he will tense up just before sprinting up an incline so be ready to lean in and help him climb. I still remember the "sparks in the dark" from a shoe striking a rock. My eyes were so dilatated as we were riding in complete darkness. The flash of light stayed on my retina for 30 seconds or more. Cool memory!

Communicate with the Outfitter, Guide, or Wrangler. Don't be too demanding or a winy pest, but do speak up on what you prefer and what you can expect. Request another horse if you deem it necessary. Don't forget you are paying for this service and your safety and preference matters.

I'm envious of your pending adventure. Have a safe and successful hunt.
LaGriz
Thank you for the advice!

blackdawg

WKR
894a937ad7dfeaf746fd98d47a189dd8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another little tidbit of advice.....

When you first begin your week long relationship with said horse he is going to feel you out. Might even test you a little. The first test is where he determines if he can eat anytime he wants. The answer is NO! That causes problems. Trotting to play catch-up sucks. Him thinking he owns you is even worse.

So try this: When he goes to eat pop him with the reigns right away. Not a slow tug.... you’ll lose that battle as he’s WAY stronger. When you do that he’ll bring his head back up and I guarantee he’ll look back out of the corner of his eye. When he does you should be staring him right in the eyes and say out loud “That’s right dude I got my eye on you!” After that anytime he eats or does anything else snap those reigns and do the same thing. Even if he does nothing wrong but looks back jump right on it “That’s right asshole I’m watching your every move!”

It won’t take long at all for him to give up and decide that you’re the boss. Trust me on this I’ve used the method on some pretty bossy hosses!

I had clients try the butt kissing method. Giving their horse an apple or saying “Go ahead and have a bite to eat because I am your friend” If a horse could talk he’d laugh out loud and say “Suckerrrrr” Tough love is the ONLY way to end up on a horse that respects you. And that’s important.

I was on a wilderness hunt in Colorado and my horse liked the "rub the clients leg on the trail trees game".
I asked the guide if I should kick him or pull hard on the reins.....he smiles and said..."it is easier just to push
off the trees when you come to them...as he smiled at me". I also bought and bring my own scabbard because I have a 50mm objective scope. many of the scabbards wont fit that well.

Going to Wyoming this fall on a Wilderness hunt. Haven't ridden a horse in 10 yrs but not worried as I keep
in good shape and have done it a half dozen times with no issue. Biggest tip mentioned here is be aware and try to help the horse by leaning into him on up hills and leaning back going down hill.