Wildest part of your state or province

I have always loved wild and remote country. By that, I mean places where people seldom, if ever, visit. Places can be rugged and remote yet still get tons of hikers and hunters every year like central CO where I saw more people in a day that I did in a whole season in the Ozarks when I was a kid. Discounting private land, where are the wildest and least frequented areas of your state/province?

For some the places I have lived/worked, I would submit the following:

Utah - Henry Mts or area east of the Book Cliffs
North Carolina - Nantahala NF and Snowbird Mts north of town of Murphy
Wyoming - parts of the Wind Rivers that border the reservation

I would be interested to hear from you guys up in Alaska and northern Canada what you think are the wildest areas up there that don't even see many hunters during hunting season. I imagine parts of the Brooks Range, western islands, and Makenzie Mts in NWT north of the Nahanni Valley have places that go years without seeing hunters and climbers.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Central Idaho wilderness areas, like the Frank and the Selway, can see traffic in certain areas, but there's probably parts of both that haven't been stepped in in a long time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BuzzH

WKR
MT here. Bob Marshall and Absaroka-Beartooth are biggest. AB has the most challenging terrain in the state, in my opinion
Selway/Bitterroot if you ignore the state borders.

Thorofare in Wyoming.

Frank Church is a beast in Idaho.

Roaded country the Arizona Strip is a long way from everywhere.

Hoodie

WKR
Oregon- The Eagle Caps for ruggedness. By a pretty fair margin. I haven't been there but for sheer solitude I'd say the Owyhee region in the SE part of the state is probably the least visited.

Close competitors:
Kalmiopsis Wilderness in the SW corner of the state.

The rest of the state is weird. The Coast Range and the west slope of the Cascades have lots of road access. But the vegetation is so thick and gnarly that if you can actually get a mile away from the nearest road it's like being 5 miles from the nearest road in the eastern part of the state.

OP
Lionhound1975
Great idea! Besides where the least amount of hunters frequent. I'd like to add in where people see the most abundant amount of game! Cmon guys share!!!
Don't worry man, this isn't about finding honey holes that someone's family has scouted for the last 4 generations. It doesn't even have much to do specifically with hunting. In some places, the very terrain and features that makes a place so inaccessible doesn't make it a big game hunting paradise either since the animals we hunt would have to work that much harder as well to live there.

This is just a thread for anyone not interested in the latest drama about some Germans who don't want to be photographed in their lederhosen shooting H&K rifles while wearing Alibaba-sourced packs pursuing their OIL buck.

southLA

WKR
Pilottown, Louisiana. If the Mississippi River doesn't kill you getting there, something there might.

PSA

FNG
Memphis

Yep. Use to live there. Sh*t hole for sure.. My perspective. You want to see the wildest part of Cali? Los Angeles. Even the liberals are turning on the mayor and city council over the homeless situation they let fester and grow. You can't even go to Venice Beach at night without risking your life or risking stepping on a used hypodermic needle and human feces. They do not prosecute many crimes there. Arrested and released with no bond in many cases even when a serious crime is committed. Pretty wild if you ask me. If I was not so invested with business and family here in Cali, I would have moved out long ago. Cuba has some great outdoors, beaches, etc. That would never be enough reason for me to want to live there. Cali and Cuba have a lot in common. I know as I have been to Cuba. Beautiful on the outside, ugly on the inside. I am a native of Cali lived in Memphis 2 years for work. Returned here because as I said, too much invested to leave just now. Do I sound jaded and pissed? You bet I am. This use to be the greatest state in the Union.

Last edited:

Wvroach

WKR
WV- Cranberry wilderness and dolly sods
SC- Francis Marion NF
FL-everglades national forest

On the other hand wild in different way Boone and Logan county WV, find a trailer park and enjoy shake a pill bottle if your really frisky that is the known mating call.

S.Clancy

WKR
Selway/Bitterroot if you ignore the state borders.

Thorofare in Wyoming.

Frank Church is a beast in Idaho.

Roaded country the Arizona Strip is a long way from everywhere.
True, I guess Cabinets should get mention as well.