Wildest part of your state or province

I am in California and the north coast area is extreme. steep, always wet, and about as rugged as it gets.
i'm in OR, we moved to the southern border last year, and a few miles east is some incredibly rugged wilderness. the opposite end of the state is also very rugged in parts of the blue mountains, as well as hell's canyon. very southern Oregon certainly has the gnarliest part of the coast range though... not very impressive compared to the ruggedness in parts of BC and AK, but still pretty impressive big country.

flying up to AK from Oregon or Seattle, you are flying over big nasty rocky jagged snow covered peaks for a long time, nothing remotely flat, just constant huge jagged rock peaks that are always covered in snow

robtattoo

WKR
Would love to spend time in those swamps. Saw the edge of the Everglades a few years ago and I was smitten.

It's like a different world, where literally every direction is identical. GPS is absolutely essential. There are 3 plants; cypress, pines & palmetto & you learn (or don't...) to navigate by trees! Total elevation change is maybe 3 feet. You can wander off an 'island' and into dark swamp in a heartbeat & whilst only 3 miles from a road, you could wander around lost until you die.
It's the only place I've ever been that genuinely scares me.

Fatcamp

WKR
It's like a different world, where literally every direction is identical. GPS is absolutely essential. There are 3 plants; cypress, pines & palmetto & you learn (or don't...) to navigate by trees! Total elevation change is maybe 3 feet. You can wander off an 'island' and into dark swamp in a heartbeat & whilst only 3 miles from a road, you could wander around lost until you die.
It's the only place I've ever been that genuinely scares me.

We walked in a ways and it was pretty amazing. Would love to return some day.

Where OR and ID and NV come together. Incredible country. You can drive a lot of it, but few do. Said to be the lowest population density in the lower 48.

minengr

FNG
IL - Lusk Creek wilderness area. It's about 5 hrs from the other wild spot in the state.

SE Oklahoma... Small mountains, pine timber land.

Dotted with small towns, but overall a wild, lawless place.

There's still a lot of subsistence hunting (year round poaching), fields of weed, meth cooking, little cell service, and not hard to spend days without seeing another human.

Fatcamp

WKR
SE Oklahoma... Small mountains, pine timber land.

Dotted with small towns, but overall a wild, lawless place.

There's still a lot of subsistence hunting (year round poaching), fields of weed, meth cooking, little cell service, and not hard to spend days without seeing another human.

Ya, I spent some time in the Ouchitas across the border. Wild place. Terrain and culture, for sure.

Scottyboy

WKR
Minnesota it has to be the NW part of the state north of Red Lake. The Boundary Waters is loaded with people and I don’t consider it wild at all. In the winter it probably is.
True about the boundary waters but is possible to “get away”.

Now red lake, yea…depending on the side of the lake or area surrounding….don’t stop, for sure. Somehow that place just keeps going downhill. Was up there 2 weeks ago fishing and will be looking to go elsewhere next time

WV- Cranberry wilderness and dolly sods
SC- Francis Marion NF
FL-everglades national forest

On the other hand wild in different way Boone and Logan county WV, find a trailer park and enjoy shake a pill bottle if your really frisky that is the known mating call.
Hell the Sods is practically over-run these days. Cranberry less so only because its a little farther from DC...

Not in my state, but Bouvet Island is probably the most remote I've been...

Or at least the most remote you can get on this planet...