Wildest part of your state or province

Wvroach

WKR
Hell the Sods is practically over-run these days. Cranberry less so only because its a little farther from DC...
The hikers get pretty rough on the main trail now, once the first week of November rolls around though they are pretty well gone. The foilage goes so do the crowds.

Ive found Canaan and BWF has more of them as well. The poor town of Davis is getting over ran with DC folks buying property for air BnB they actually put a hold on short term rentals until they can attempt to figure out a solution for the residents who cant find a rental now.

The hikers get pretty rough on the main trail now, once the first week of November rolls around though they are pretty well gone. The foilage goes so do the crowds.

Ive found Canaan and BWF has more of them as well. The poor town of Davis is getting over ran with DC folks buying property for air BnB they actually put a hold on short term rentals until they can attempt to figure out a solution for the residents who cant find a rental now.
I don't doubt it. Ask anyone in the DC area "where to go backpacking" and the first thing they'll say is Dolly Sods. I was introduced to it in the mid 80's and spent time there through the 90's - mostly winter camping alone. I don't think I'd go unless it was in the winter now.

Davis was a great town. I remember a good hole in the wall pizza joint but I'm sure its gone. Your comment on the BnB market is telling. Probably a bunch of DC yuppies that "have to go to the sods" but want the comfort of a warm bed after a day hike ;-)

Great thread! Gila Wilderness for me no question! Lots of wild animals, rugged terrain, and beautiful country! Wish i could spend alot more time there! I have likely stepped on ground in places that have very rarely, if ever been walked on before. The things mine eyes have seen in The Gila amazes me with every memory! God has blessed me to have allowed me to gaze on what he's created in Southewest New Mexico!

Wrench

WKR
It's a toss up between the Pasyaten wilderness and the brown street Bridge in downtown spokane.

South half of Baranov Island, especially once you get off the beach. Extremely rugged, true wilderness. On a bad day, the terrain, weather, and critters are all capable of overmatching me. On a good day, it’s my favorite place in the world.

For those of you who know the Everglades, if I had a week to really explore it and get into the back country, what would that look like? Canoe trip? Is it possible to backpack? I’m about as far from Florida ad you can get in the Lower 48, but it’s on my bucket list and I think I’ll get there in the next 10 years. Not to hunt, but any leads on where/how to explore would be appreciated.

z987k

WKR
I have always loved wild and remote country. By that, I mean places where people seldom, if ever, visit. Places can be rugged and remote yet still get tons of hikers and hunters every year like central CO where I saw more people in a day that I did in a whole season in the Ozarks when I was a kid. Discounting private land, where are the wildest and least frequented areas of your state/province?

For some the places I have lived/worked, I would submit the following:

Utah - Henry Mts or area east of the Book Cliffs
North Carolina - Nantahala NF and Snowbird Mts north of town of Murphy
Wyoming - parts of the Wind Rivers that border the reservation

I would be interested to hear from you guys up in Alaska and northern Canada what you think are the wildest areas up there that don't even see many hunters during hunting season. I imagine parts of the Brooks Range, western islands, and Makenzie Mts in NWT north of the Nahanni Valley have places that go years without seeing hunters and climbers.
Not a chance in hell I'd post on the internet where is still wild and free.

Wvroach

WKR
For those of you who know the Everglades, if I had a week to really explore it and get into the back country, what would that look like? Canoe trip? Is it possible to backpack? I’m about as far from Florida ad you can get in the Lower 48, but it’s on my bucket list and I think I’ll get there in the next 10 years. Not to hunt, but any leads on where/how to explore would be appreciated.
My experience there is minimal I go a few times a year but I'm sure a FL native could tell you way more than myself. It is serene in its own way, quiet and deafening loud at the same time. Most things can kill you, you are not the alpha anymore. Kayaking was great and for your first time I'd really recommend doing a kayak tour, they will do 3-5 days camping on different islands. It's well worth the trip.

Last edited:

DylanE

FNG
I’m in Memphis and can confirm that either North or South Memphis is DEFINITELY the wildest part of Tennessee.

Felton

WKR
Georgia-Cohutta, Okefenoke Swamp, or any of the coastal Islands
Especially frat beach on GA FL weekend. 😂

Y’all talking about the Altamha… A lot of hunters won’t hike 500 yards around there, of course there’s lots of places you can’t make it 500 yards without floating your hat or getting stuck in that thick underbrush. The Altamha is my back yard.

Last edited:

woods89

WKR
Shannon, Dent, Reynolds, and Iron counties in Southern MO. There is some wild and pretty country, and then there's the local culture.

Shannon County is where Brandon Butler's cabin was burned out.

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
Central Idaho wilderness areas, like the Frank and the Selway, can see traffic in certain areas, but there's probably parts of both that haven't been stepped in in a long time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Definately the summer on the river is busy. And the airfields during hunting season. And all the outfitters are booked two years to three years out. But the country is steep. The creek bottoms are nasty and you are right, some places havn't been stepped in in along time. My favorite place in the lower 48. You cann go from desert to alpine. Rattlesnakesa to sheep and high country lakes.

grfox92

WKR
Furthest from a road, I believe. But Yellowstone Meadows can look like an outfitter convention in the summer sometimes. Everyone wants to get so far in that if they took one more step they’d be coming out the other side.

There are hidey holes to be found that aren’t as far in but get less traffic.
I agree with that statement that area definitely sees a lot of traffic especially during hunting season and like you said on summer pack trips.

I will say in that area though just east of Yellowstone, Im not going to give any specifics, there's an awful lot of areas with a lot of room in between trailheads that I'm pretty sure see little to no human presence whatsoever.....and the reason is there are a lot of areas completely devoid of elk and mule deer. Unless houndsmen are in there chasing lions, there is just no reason to into some areas.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Great thread! Gila Wilderness for me no question! Lots of wild animals, rugged terrain, and beautiful country! Wish i could spend alot more time there! I have likely stepped on ground in places that have very rarely, if ever been walked on before. The things mine eyes have seen in The Gila amazes me with every memory! God has blessed me to have allowed me to gaze on what he's created in Southewest New Mexico!

The Gila is cool but one of my favorite places to explore in NM is the yapashi ruins and the stone lions.