Wildfires in your hunting area yet?

Only a matter of a thunderstorm or two with little rain before the Frank Church goes up.

Keeping them small so far, but the big one(s) are looming up here in Idaho.
Got a ton of lightning yesterday afternoon/evening and last night. Just saw the boise hotshot crew drive by about an hour ago while I was fishing.

Wellsdw

WKR
The contract type 6 engine I work on is being deployed to Arizona in the coming days from North Carolina. This early is unheard of

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's going to be an interesting summer, based on the drought data we will be seeing a lot of smoke. This hot stretch in June already has me wondering how much be toast by the end of this deal.

Silver lining though...several biologists that I have visited with in multiple states have said that one of the best things that could happen for mule deer long term is some of the nasty growth and beetle kill to burn. The places I have seen burn so far have had great aspen growth.

Ten Bears

WKR
Question for some of you that have experience with fires.

The Wilderness I plan on hunting this year is currently closed from fire. That being said it seems under control and didn’t scorch earth burn. It’s more of a smolder. Rain is on the horizon and if things go well it will open this fall.

That being said, will the green grass pop up in time this year to target or is this a next years gonna be good scenario ?

mtnlomo

FNG
Question for some of you that have experience with fires.

The Wilderness I plan on hunting this year is currently closed from fire. That being said it seems under control and didn’t scorch earth burn. It’s more of a smolder. Rain is on the horizon and if things go well it will open this fall.

That being said, will the green grass pop up in time this year to target or is this a next years gonna be good scenario ?

Probably not this year. Next year yes, also depends on the intensity of the fire, but also the amount of moisture that comes through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmav58

WKR
e3c3520375a4167f23ac026e96548942.jpg

Deep Creek Canyon fire. 95% contained but 4700 acres burned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Azone

Azone

WKR
Part of the forest in my area has been closed until July 23rd for fire safety, not holding my breath on it opening back up on that date.

Willdfires are part of the Alaska boreal forest ecosystem...we have only 6 common tree species and all are adapted to quickly reproduce following wildfire. Willow typically sprouts and aspen suckers post-fire producing excellent moose browse. Wildfire also has a potential negative impact by consuming lichens which are an important source of winter food for caribou,...
Smoke from wildfires can ruin our perfect summer weather...hard to run/bike/hike in dense smoke which can be for weeks during some summers (2004,2009, 2013). I remember an August caribou hunt when laser rangefinders were useless because of the smoke.
willow_postfire.JPG

Fire Season has really heated up the last week in Central and North Central Idaho. Some impressive videos and pics I've been seeing from buddies who work for a timber company up there and buddies who fight fire.

Was on one fire at 9200' where the dead white bark pine was burning real good.

dtrkyman

WKR
New Mexico is getting rain daily, it is spread out and short but sweet showers. Fortunately our largest fire has seen quite a bit of moisture! A few really hard "gully washers" as well.

smithjd

FNG
Fire Season has really heated up the last week in Central and North Central Idaho. Some impressive videos and pics I've been seeing from buddies who work for a timber company up there and buddies who fight fire.

Was on one fire at 9200' where the dead white bark pine was burning real good.
My son is working for USFS Red River (since closed, now Elk City) fighting fires. They had been in Montana but just RTB. Last I heard from him Wednesday, they were expecting to be very busy and working 30 days on, one day off.

My son is working for USFS Red River (since closed, now Elk City) fighting fires. They had been in Montana but just RTB. Last I heard from him Wednesday, they were expecting to be very busy and working 30 days on, one day off.
Spent a fair bit of time in that country. Fire rips down there! Seen that HWY 12 is closed now due to a fire on Lolo Pass. Few close calls the last few days in fires throughout the west. Some crews lost fire gear.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Here is So. Cal. the wackos are waiting for the Santa Ana winds to kick up, then they'll go out and set a fire, head home after stopping for a couple Sixers of tall boys and go sit in front of their TV and watch their handy work . Never fails.

amassi

WKR
Here is So. Cal. the wackos are waiting for the Santa Ana winds to kick up, then they'll go out and set a fire, head home after stopping for a couple Sixers of tall boys and go sit in front of their TV and watch their handy work . Never fails.
Imagine the damage they could do if they knew how to fly

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Alot of good country burnt up in AZ so far, some of it was beneficial but alot of country got moonscaped too

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
Alot of good country burnt up in AZ so far, some of it was beneficial but alot of country got moonscaped too
I heard they have been getting good rains since the monsoons kicked in. the valley got smashed with storms the last 2 nights, but the high country has got some good rains. I'll be up north on the rim Tuesday to check it out. Hoping we are in for more good storms this monsoon. I know the fires were bad early, but last I heard they were under control now (or at least better).

I'm in western wyoming and we are getting socked in from fires in Idaho not much in the way of shadows at all today due to the smoke haze. This is the earliest I have seen it kick it off like this. Normally there is snow where I hike to on the weekends at this time of year but it's been gone for a month. Going to be an interesting summer.

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
The Beckworth fire is now at 90,000 acres and its completely within the A12 zone (California archery zone that is the same as the X6B rifle zone). They say it’s 20(ish) percent contained and full containment is expected by July 30th. I’m wondering if that will actually happen and what is going to happen to my hunt, which is supposed to begin August 20th.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
The Beckworth fire is now at 90,000 acres and its completely within the A12 zone (California archery zone that is the same as the X6B rifle zone). They say it’s 20(ish) percent contained and full containment is expected by July 30th. I’m wondering if that will actually happen and what is going to happen to my hunt, which is supposed to begin August 20th.
You can and probably should turn your tag in up until the season starts and still get a point in CA