Will a sow leave her cubs???

280Ackley

WKR
I’m up hunting with my two boys. Saw a sow with two cubs around 6 last night. Then at about 8, I spot a lone bear in the same drainage about 200 yards above the spot where I saw the sow. Watched this one till dark never saw either cub. Same bear or not?!?!?! We were over half mile away. Bears were about the same general size and color. We are hunting the breaks of the snake river.

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
I forgot to mention that the sow with cubs went into the brush of that draw and never reappeared.

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
I don’t except to get a definitive answer if that was the same bear or not. Just curious if sow’s in general will leave there cubs at evening to feed. The cubs were small I would say this years.

Last edited:
OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
So a little update. I think it was the same sow. We sat there the next night and I spotted the sow with cubs in the same area again. After watching her for almost an hour I found her den in the rocks. I think she left them in the den and just went out for a quick snack!

Lowg08

WKR
They will leave them at different times. If they suspect danger or just to hunt and have success so she can provide. You can also tell
By her physical build. Head shape, feet positioning and all