Will I regret a straight stitch industrial sewing machine?

Cordellh

FNG
My wife and I are having a debate about getting an industrial walking foot/reverse straight stitch machine. Are there that many times I will wish I have the 50 different stitches available on the homeowner machines?

sneaky

"DADDY"
No, unless you plan on quilting or bedazzling jeans

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Alpha60

FNG
These machines typically have very few features other than stitch length adjustment, needle threading, and reverse lock stitching, as there is no need for other convenience features.

WoodBow

WKR
Absolutely not. The ability to do all that nonsense weakens the machine because the needle arm moves all over the place to accomplish those functions. I want a freight train riding a rail. It can only go straight up and down with no risk of deviation. I used to break a ton of needles using home machines. That is why. I would be sewing thick material and the mechanism would try to move in the path of least resistance. As soon as the force isnt in a straight line with the needle, the needle breaks. Im not sure i have broken a single needle on an industrial. And it isnt because im using bigger needles.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
EDIT; Maybe...it depends on the garments and sewing you plan on doing.

I have a Juki [I think its a 2040 model] straight stitch machine....and there are times I wish I could throw a couple different stitches.

Some garment assemblies and repairs require a zig zag or stretch stitch that will flex/stretch vs the straight stitch....otherwise it rips out. Many garments made with fabrics that stretch a little require a stretch type stitch- just flip a few inside out and you will see.

I now wish I would have gotten something that was a little more versatile...but on the other hand, I'm not sure there is a machine that can do those stretch stitches and would power through 3 layers of webbing like my Juki.

______

Last edited:

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
Well, that's all there used to be.......

Walking foot straight stitch industrial is going to do 97.7% of anything you want.....

For stretch stitches etc...increase stitch length, like they did when singer only made straight stitch machines.....

TimothyJ

FNG
Straight stitch will definitely do 90% of the projects you will ever do. However, be aware not all industrial machines can sew light material well. The simple answer is buy both😁

TomJoad

WKR
It depends on your projects, space and speed. If you have the space, a dedicated Juki LU machine will earn its place for heavy material and multiple layers of webbing. I no longer have an LU but I don’t miss it much. My homemade gear is mostly ULW dynema tarps and accessories and our current sewing setup includes a Juki HZL-NX7. Plenty of power, larger throat than my last Juki LU and blinding speed. Also the auto threading and cutting functionality save so much time. It can’t run through the same amount of webbing as the Juki LU but I just don’t need that. The space we freed up with the Juki LU also means we have room for a deticated serger: Bernina L460 and a separate Janome cover lock. I don’t use the cover lock much but the serger is a game changer for lightweight materials, way higher seam strength and no risk of raveling out.

image.jpg

My wife and I are having a debate about getting an industrial walking foot/reverse straight stitch machine. Are there that many times I will wish I have the 50 different stitches available on the homeowner machines?
Can you PM me? I've got a question for you.

JJMoody

FNG
While we sew almost exclusively leather, with some heavier canvas/ blanket type fabrics, with proper planning(folding edges over etc...)I’ve never felt like I couldn’t do something with my machine. Cobra class 4. Runs like a tank, minimal maintenance required can stitch up to 1” of layered up veg tan leather.... but the forward, reverse walking foot will cover most anything if you plan the stitching

AKSandman

FNG
I have a pfaff 1245 (dual feed single needle lockstich) for packs and bags. It is fantastic. If you want to sew tents and tarps with silnylon a 3 step zigzag stitch is nice, but you can get by with just a single needle lockstich and felled seams.

note, if you do get a commercial machine, keep in mind most of them are powered by a clutch motor that is much different to operate than a typical table top machine. You can get a consew servo motor (model csm550-1) that will be easier to control and adjust for stitch speed.

I worked in an industrial sewing shop designing and cutting many years ago. They operated a lot of Pfaff machines and a few Juki's. Both a very good. Most industrial machines are dedicated to doing a few things very well unlike a home machine that does a lot of things so-so. If you plan to do a lot of sewing with heavier textiles, go with the industrial-no question.