Will Idaho be This Week???

npm352

WKR
Sure, I agree with you there but I haven't know many if any goverment branches that have prudent spending practices. Its especially stupid simple since there are no points to square away.
yes...they are like any government branch...but because I hunt I hold them to a higher standard, which is my own fault. and yes...super simple draw. Idaho has a lot to offer and they aren't "worse" than any other F&G...I just poke fun and scrutinize the heck out them because I live here.

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I blanked out for California sheep and got the email today. This was my first year, so better luck next time.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

On a side note, Idaho has these most basic draw...I could have it done in less than a day with a raffle ticket for each entry, a bucket and three 5th grade kids to help. Draw to see unit order of draw for each species....then draw names for each unit in the order you drew earlier...once you hit 10% NR quota, no more NR can be awarded tag.

No reason for a computer or delay or Idaho holding NR $2000 for so long.

It would help if you understand how the draw works before you try to fix it. They don’t have any order to the units that they draw, they assign each applicant a random number and go down the list in order, at each applicant they check to see if the first choice is available. If it is they get the tag, if it’s not due to nonresident quota for a single hunt number, or overall nonresident quota or the overall number of tags for that hunt number have already been assigned, they move on to the next on the list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also I didn’t draw a goat tag. Although I do agree they can run it faster and better. I think they should hold public raffle type draws like Maine does for their moose tags, have a pancake breakfast and bbq for lunch. Sell tickets for $25 a head, you get 2000 people there that is an extra $50,000 towards conservation

BAKPAKR

WKR
This was my first year of not just mailing in a check with my application. In the past, I had avoided those pesky “convenience” fees that way. Based on stories I read from last year, I was somewhat nervous about the possible/probable delay in getting a refund and I wasn’t looking forward to having a big credit sitting in my credit card account. IDFG took care of my concerns by keeping my money so I am going to the Frank Church Wilderness this fall.

npm352

WKR
It would help if you understand how the draw works before you try to fix it. They don’t have any order to the units that they draw, they assign each applicant a random number and go down the list in order, at each applicant they check to see if the first choice is available. If it is they get the tag, if it’s not due to nonresident quota for a single hunt number, or overall nonresident quota or the overall number of tags for that hunt number have already been assigned, they move on to the next on the list

I get how they do it. I also know that their method of draw is not mandated, but instead the mandate is random with one entry per person, OIL kill for each species and no more than 10% for nonresident. Those are the rules....not how the computer comes up with them.

I was making a point. It is very simple. It is so simple it could be done without a computer. My illustration with 5th graders helping was clearly hyperbole. The point was that even a caveman could do it...now, not literally a caveman, since they do not exist anymore, but figuratively a not-so-mentally-advanced person could actually do it and do it just as fair, but less expensive.

The bigger point was that Idaho spent $400,000 of our money that could go to conservation of species allowing us to have more animals on the mountain. We can agree to disagree that they got ripped off for something that could be accomplished by 5th graders with raffle tickets...though let me be clear...I am not literally suggesting this, but perhaps a less expensive middle ground.

It is sad to me that game departments are somehow exempt from more public scrutiny in how they waste money. Maybe the answer is to just let Idaho go crazy unchecked so we eventually HAVE to turn into Utah where we simply auction off a huge percentage of our tags to the highest bidder to keep funding the spending beast....

This is why Idaho F&G are no different than the pro NBA players who complain their $12,000,000 contracts are not enough. No one has the guts to just tell them the alternative of always asking for more money is to simply spend less.

I get how they do it. I also know that their method of draw is not mandated, but instead the mandate is random with one entry per person, OIL kill for each species and no more than 10% for nonresident. Those are the rules....not how the computer comes up with them.

I was making a point. It is very simple. It is so simple it could be done without a computer. My illustration with 5th graders helping was clearly hyperbole. The point was that even a caveman could do it...now, not literally a caveman, since they do not exist anymore, but figuratively a not-so-mentally-advanced person could actually do it and do it just as fair, but less expensive.

The bigger point was that Idaho spent $400,000 of our money that could go to conservation of species allowing us to have more animals on the mountain. We can agree to disagree that they got ripped off for something that could be accomplished by 5th graders with raffle tickets...though let me be clear...I am not literally suggesting this, but perhaps a less expensive middle ground.

It is sad to me that game departments are somehow exempt from more public scrutiny in how they waste money. Maybe the answer is to just let Idaho go crazy unchecked so we eventually HAVE to turn into Utah where we simply auction off a huge percentage of our tags to the highest bidder to keep funding the spending beast....

This is why Idaho F&G are no different than the pro NBA players who complain their $12,000,000 contracts are not enough. No one has the guts to just tell them the alternative of always asking for more money is to simply spend less.

You obviously didn’t read my 2nd post. I agree that paying $400,000 to run the draws as they stand is ridiculous. That being said everybody always asks the question, “how do we know what order they draw the units in” and it seems to be some sort of preconceived notion that the units are drawn in some sort of order. You could literally dump all of the applications into 1 bucket and have your 5th graders draw them regardless of unit choice and just throw out the ones who’s unit choice is already filled

npm352

WKR
You obviously didn’t read my 2nd post. I agree that paying $400,000 to run the draws as they stand is ridiculous. That being said everybody always asks the question, “how do we know what order they draw the units in” and it seems to be some sort of preconceived notion that the units are drawn in some sort of order. You could literally dump all of the applications into 1 bucket and have your 5th graders draw them regardless of unit choice and just throw out the ones who’s unit choice is already filled

good point...makes sense, even more simple...I just need to convince F&G that it could be done

good point...makes sense, even more simple...I just need to convince F&G that it could be done

When you are able to do that can you also convince them to hold the draw in public with a pancake breakfast and bbq lunch?

USMC-40

WKR
This was my first year of not just mailing in a check with my application. In the past, I had avoided those pesky “convenience” fees that way. Based on stories I read from last year, I was somewhat nervous about the possible/probable delay in getting a refund and I wasn’t looking forward to having a big credit sitting in my credit card account. IDFG took care of my concerns by keeping my money so I am going to the Frank Church Wilderness this fall.

Congrats. Tough country in there. Be prepared to be thirsty. If possible start to ween yourself down in water consumption starting now. I want to do that hunt again - got in later than I wanted in ‘13 due to work, and then got blown out in a blizzard after 6 days and was unable to return (again, due to work).

Good luck