Will My New Pack "Break In" to My Body?

sargent

WKR
I've had a Slumberjack Bounty 4500 for about four years now and have done a lot of hunting, hiking/camping, training hikes, and hauled a fair amount of animals out with it. I finally decided to upgrade to a high end pack and bought a used Stone Glacier 3300 with some accessories on the X-curve frame. It's not "uncomfortable", but it just doesn't seem to feel as nice as the old Slumberjack. I thought maybe I just needed to get used to it, so I carried it for about a month hunting bears and whitetails. I haven't packed any meat out with it yet. Last night I walked by the SJ pack in the basement and put it on and it felt great. I'm pretty sure it's because the pack's aluminum stays and plastic frame sheet have molded to my body over the years. Will the X-curve do the same after some use?

LJ Buck

WKR
The frame will not mold to your body. But finding the best settings/fit will make a huge difference.

Looking at the directions to fitting the SG from the website. Also when fitting the pack put 30lbs in it.

tdot

WKR
The foam in the shoulder straps and hip belt may mold to your body. But more likely they are just softening from use. Not just specifically molding to your body. Softer foams feel better initially but fail quicker over time. Harder foams typically last longer and can take time to soften.

If the frame is soft enough to mold to your body. It probably isnt strong enough for significant load carrying. Day pack duty would be about all I would trust from something like that.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, aluminum stays and plastic frame sheets don't mold to your body over time. You just have 4 years of experience on a pack designed for comfort under light loads, and a month of experience on a frame system designed for heavier loads. Most likely the foam is completely different in the belt and shoulder straps, and getting the adjustments dialed in just takes time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
sargent

sargent

WKR
Ok. Thanks for the advice guys. I watched the SG vids and adjusted the loaded pack as directed. Are there any other tips for getting the pack adjustments fine tuned to my body?