Will my pack work?

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
I am going on a September high alpine Colorado mule deer hunt this year. It’ll be my first backpack hunt and probably right about a week in length. I currently own a MR Sawtooth 45. Will I be able make a pack that size work? I know it’s small, but I’m trying to pack light, and we will most likely be hiking in to one pre-picked location to set up camp so I only need to get my stuff in on day one and put on the last day.

So if I utilize a dry bag or two and my load shelf, will it suffice? Or is it a pipe dream?

I think you can do it. I've done a week+ in a Kuiu 3000 bag with tripod and puffy strapped to the exterior, and my food in a dry bag up where a lid might go. Only one way to know, load it up and find out!

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
I think you can do it. I've done a week+ in a Kuiu 3000 bag with tripod and puffy strapped to the exterior, and my food in a dry bag up where a lid might go. Only one way to know, load it up and find out!
Thanks for the input! Shamefully I’m borrowing a few of my items so I won’t get to load up until a week or two out. I like the idea of food in a lid location, hadn’t thought of that!

BDRam16

WKR
Ya just do a camp bag and a food bag and put those in the load shelf. Are you doing a drop/base camp or keeping it all on you every day? If you do a base camp you can leave all the stuff from the shelf and have a nice small and light day pack.

I’m doing a similar hunt with a metcalf and honestly wish I had a smaller bag.

i highly recomend practicing packing it up. Make sure to review other peoples gear lists. And hike around with it youll fine tune it in a hurry. Be mindful of where you put layers you may need to grab fast like a puffy or rain jacket. Theres some real crafty dudes on here that know there stuff about being light and minimalist. Good luck

Thanks for the input! Shamefully I’m borrowing a few of my items so I won’t get to load up until a week or two out. I like the idea of food in a lid location, hadn’t thought of that!

Anything you can do to keep the heavy items close to your COG the better. Better to go up, or even down, than out away from your back.

I'm sure it can be made to work. How easily it will work depends on how much gear you're packing and how bulky it is. The load shelf between the bag and frame can hold quite a bit of stuff if the bag itself can't contain everything. If you do utilize the load shelf, use it for heavier items to keep the weight of the pack concentrated closer to your body.

It's overpriced IMO, but MR sells a lid that you could put on your Sawtooth to add another 700 cubic inches.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Ya just do a camp bag and a food bag and put those in the load shelf. Are you doing a drop/base camp or keeping it all on you every day? If you do a base camp you can leave all the stuff from the shelf and have a nice small and light day pack.

I’m doing a similar hunt with a metcalf and honestly wish I had a smaller bag.
Base camp! So I’ll be able to off load 90% of it once we get in. Glad to hear it.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure it can be made to work. How easily it will work depends on how much gear you're packing and how bulky it is. The load shelf between the bag and frame can hold quite a bit of stuff if the bag itself can't contain everything. If you do utilize the load shelf, use it for heavier items to keep the weight of the pack concentrated closer to your body.

It's overpriced IMO, but MR sells a lid that you could put on your Sawtooth to add another 700 cubic inches.
Thanks. I looked at the topper but I like the tip from above about just throwing a dry bag up there. Lighter, dry, and way cheaper lol

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
i highly recomend practicing packing it up. Make sure to review other peoples gear lists. And hike around with it youll fine tune it in a hurry. Be mindful of where you put layers you may need to grab fast like a puffy or rain jacket. Theres some real crafty dudes on here that know there stuff about being light and minimalist. Good luck
Thanks for the tips.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Put all your shit in there and see if it fits..... If it does, then go hunt.
Yeah this probably makes the most sense. And is a reply I would give someone asking the same question. Yet here I am asking it myself.. classic overthinking lol

It's the only way to know for sure. But if this is your first backpack trip, you'll likely be overstuffed. I take less stuff every year since my first year it seems...

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I think you asked this question in one of the hunting FB groups recently.

FB replies: “no way! You need at least 100L to backpack for a week and even that’s going to be tight”

Rokslide: “sure, no problem.”

You can likely fit all or most of your gear in the pack. Your food might be the exception and you can always store than in a dry bag between your bag and your lid, or, like you said, store some gear in the load shelf.

This is wisdom. In Colorado a storm will roll over and a few heavy drops will fall. From that moment you have about 30 to 45 seconds to get your rain gear before all hell breaks loose.

I also suggest getting a pretty big stuff sack and some paracord so you can put your food in there and haul it up a tree away from camp in case a bear comes sniffing.

The other thing is practice setting up and taking down your tent a few times with your buddy if possible. Backpacking tens have a low margin of error for being rolled properly to pack into its stuff sack.

Yes it will work. Dont overthink.
Is this hunt going to be your first time backpacking and camping? If so I would get all your gear dialed in now.
I personally have packed a lot of extra stuff that I thought I would need but then left half of it at the truck the next time.
And if you're in a group then share the load with shelters, stove, optics, and water.

If you can fit it all the gear in the bag at the trailhead it will be challenging to pack out an animal on top of it. Or make multiple trips and come back for your camp.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
It's the only way to know for sure. But if this is your first backpack trip, you'll likely be overstuffed. I take less stuff every year since my first year it seems...

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I’ve heard that’s the case. I’m trying to really use other guys lists and trust they know what they’re doing more than taking my own approach. Obviously I’ve camped. But just not out of a backpack. Really trying to draw from their minimalist clothing and not overpacking stuff like socks. (Plan to keep a fair amount of “oh crap” items back at the truck)