Will my pack work?

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
I think you asked this question in one of the hunting FB groups recently.

FB replies: “no way! You need at least 100L to backpack for a week and even that’s going to be tight”

Rokslide: “sure, no problem.”

You can likely fit all or most of your gear in the pack. Your food might be the exception and you can always store than in a dry bag between your bag and your lid, or, like you said, store some gear in the load shelf.
Yep… lol after I posted it on there I thought, “ya know, I trust the fellas at rok slide a lot more than Facebook” lol and imagine that. Two very different responses. And much more detailed reasoning on here.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
This is wisdom. In Colorado a storm will roll over and a few heavy drops will fall. From that moment you have about 30 to 45 seconds to get your rain gear before all hell breaks loose.

I also suggest getting a pretty big stuff sack and some paracord so you can put your food in there and haul it up a tree away from camp in case a bear comes sniffing.

The other thing is practice setting up and taking down your tent a few times with your buddy if possible. Backpacking tens have a low margin of error for being rolled properly to pack into its stuff sack.
Thanks! I really appreciate any tips I can get. I’m really looking forward to this trip. It’s only my second trip west for a hunt and first backpack trip, but I’m going with a guy who’s dedicated and we’re already planning hunts several years down the road. So any help will be put to use for years to come. (I know. Another eastern boy ruining the west… sorry fellas)

Poser

WKR
Yep… lol after I posted it on there I thought, “ya know, I trust the fellas at rok slide a lot more than Facebook” lol and imagine that. Two very different responses. And much more detailed reasoning on here.

Those FB groups are largely toxic cesspools of uninformed idiots living in echo chambers who pack too much gear.

Loughgear

FNG
I have a sawtooth also, I put a guide lid on it for bit more room for backpacking, unfortunately due to fire bans last year due to no rain, and massive flooding this year I havnt been able to get out for more then couple days

Thanks! I really appreciate any tips I can get. I’m really looking forward to this trip. It’s only my second trip west for a hunt and first backpack trip, but I’m going with a guy who’s dedicated and we’re already planning hunts several years down the road. So any help will be put to use for years to come. (I know. Another eastern boy ruining the west… sorry fellas)

No prob! I am new to hunting but did a lot of backpacking back in the day in Boy Scouts. (My scoutmaster was an old marine and we cut our teeth pretty quick on trips). Here are some general tips as well if you are new to backpacking:

1. Backpacking is all about habit and discipline. Practice packing and unpacking your pack several times and at night with a headlamp. Be very aware that every piece of gear has its own place and you can trust that piece of gear to always be there IE your headlamp always goes in the top mesh pocket, first aid kit in inside pocket etc. Its easy to pack up once then get to camp and have to move or pack up then suddenly your gear wont fit in your pack because you loaded it different etc. Also work out shared gear with your buddy. Things like tents can be packed separately with one guy taking poles and rainfly and the other guy taking the main tent and stakes. Its a pretty cool feeling when you both get the system down and can put up and take down camp like clockwork. If you have not bought a tent yet remember that a "2 Person" tent is big enough to technically cram two people together but not comfortably. I typically recommend getting a 3 person, the room is worth the extra few ounces.

2. Water is paramount when backpacking. Have a plan for how you will filter/purify water and what sources you will have. You will need water for cleaning your mess kit / dishes so keep that in mind too. I personally love my Katadyn pump filter because you can get water even if its a little mud puddle. There are a lot of options now though so check the pros and cons of each. If you are on the trail, I recommend filling up your bottle at a water source then taking a nice big drink then filling it again. Its the only time you dont need to ration it so enjoy the luxury. Even 15 years later I still remember how good it feels to be able to do this.

3. Food is another factor in travelling light. If you are going freeze dried I highly recommend trying out some brands and meals ahead of time. Dont wait until you get out in the woods to find out Mountain House Curry tastes like shit and thats 2 dinners. Keep in mind though that freeze dried food tastes like crap at home but will taste way better when your hungry in the field. Personally, Mountain House Blueberry Granola is amazing and you literally just dump some cold water into the bag and have a quick breakfast. Also, mentally and spiritually prepare yourself for the freeze dried farts that will build up in your sleeping bag all night.

4. Backpacking can be mentally exhausting but the more deliberate and systematic you are the more it will alleviate your stress. Everything you take for granted at home is now up to you to find or do so the very act of living takes more effort. Dont see this as a stressful thing but enjoy the deliberate acts you have to do. Little things like doing dishes or pumping water becomes special in a way and everything just slows down. Dont try to fight it or get frustrated, enjoy each act. I remember after a week long 50 mile trip in Boy Scouts I came home and it actually kind of freaked me out to just get water from a faucet because I was so used to drinking out of streams.

5. Pee right before you go to bed. This does 2 things- 1. It keeps you warmer at night because your body doesnt have to keep a bunch of internal water warm. 2. You wont wake up and lie there knowing you are going to have to climb out of your cozy sleeping bag and into the bitter cold to just take a piss. Also, crap in the woods as soon as you can. Like make an effort to take a dump as soon as you get to camp. That way you 'broke the seal' and are used to it. If you dont poop right away its easy to put it off and you will find out you went 3 days without pooping and are backed up. Bring some prunes as well to snack on as freeze dried food can do weird things to your digestion.

Pro tips-

If your sleeping bag isnt keep you warm enough, pour some hot water into a metal water bottle and keep it in your bag with you. It will really keep you warm. You can also do the same thing and stuff it in your jacket at camp at night. If you have a pocket stove you can do this for early morning glassing too.

When you sleep take your boots and lie them at each side of you by your legs with the soles facing out. That way they will keep a little warmer. There are few things in life as miserable as being in the woods and trying to pull on frozen boots first thing in the morning.

Carry a small towel with you and hang it on your pack. Its sounds trivial but its really nice to dry off your hands when its cold or to wash your face in a stream.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
No prob! I am new to hunting but did a lot of backpacking back in the day in Boy Scouts. (My scoutmaster was an old marine and we cut our teeth pretty quick on trips). Here are some general tips as well if you are new to backpacking:

1. Backpacking is all about habit and discipline. Practice packing and unpacking your pack several times and at night with a headlamp. Be very aware that every piece of gear has its own place and you can trust that piece of gear to always be there IE your headlamp always goes in the top mesh pocket, first aid kit in inside pocket etc. Its easy to pack up once then get to camp and have to move or pack up then suddenly your gear wont fit in your pack because you loaded it different etc. Also work out shared gear with your buddy. Things like tents can be packed separately with one guy taking poles and rainfly and the other guy taking the main tent and stakes. Its a pretty cool feeling when you both get the system down and can put up and take down camp like clockwork. If you have not bought a tent yet remember that a "2 Person" tent is big enough to technically cram two people together but not comfortably. I typically recommend getting a 3 person, the room is worth the extra few ounces.

2. Water is paramount when backpacking. Have a plan for how you will filter/purify water and what sources you will have. You will need water for cleaning your mess kit / dishes so keep that in mind too. I personally love my Katadyn pump filter because you can get water even if its a little mud puddle. There are a lot of options now though so check the pros and cons of each. If you are on the trail, I recommend filling up your bottle at a water source then taking a nice big drink then filling it again. Its the only time you dont need to ration it so enjoy the luxury. Even 15 years later I still remember how good it feels to be able to do this.

3. Food is another factor in travelling light. If you are going freeze dried I highly recommend trying out some brands and meals ahead of time. Dont wait until you get out in the woods to find out Mountain House Curry tastes like shit and thats 2 dinners. Keep in mind though that freeze dried food tastes like crap at home but will taste way better when your hungry in the field. Personally, Mountain House Blueberry Granola is amazing and you literally just dump some cold water into the bag and have a quick breakfast. Also, mentally and spiritually prepare yourself for the freeze dried farts that will build up in your sleeping bag all night.

4. Backpacking can be mentally exhausting but the more deliberate and systematic you are the more it will alleviate your stress. Everything you take for granted at home is now up to you to find or do so the very act of living takes more effort. Dont see this as a stressful thing but enjoy the deliberate acts you have to do. Little things like doing dishes or pumping water becomes special in a way and everything just slows down. Dont try to fight it or get frustrated, enjoy each act. I remember after a week long 50 mile trip in Boy Scouts I came home and it actually kind of freaked me out to just get water from a faucet because I was so used to drinking out of streams.

5. Pee right before you go to bed. This does 2 things- 1. It keeps you warmer at night because your body doesnt have to keep a bunch of internal water warm. 2. You wont wake up and lie there knowing you are going to have to climb out of your cozy sleeping bag and into the bitter cold to just take a piss. Also, crap in the woods as soon as you can. Like make an effort to take a dump as soon as you get to camp. That way you 'broke the seal' and are used to it. If you dont poop right away its easy to put it off and you will find out you went 3 days without pooping and are backed up. Bring some prunes as well to snack on as freeze dried food can do weird things to your digestion.

Pro tips-

If your sleeping bag isnt keep you warm enough, pour some hot water into a metal water bottle and keep it in your bag with you. It will really keep you warm. You can also do the same thing and stuff it in your jacket at camp at night. If you have a pocket stove you can do this for early morning glassing too.

When you sleep take your boots and lie them at each side of you by your legs with the soles facing out. That way they will keep a little warmer. There are few things in life as miserable as being in the woods and trying to pull on frozen boots first thing in the morning.

Carry a small towel with you and hang it on your pack. Its sounds trivial but its really nice to dry off your hands when its cold or to wash your face in a stream.
Wow man awesome advice. Thank you so much

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Before I'd give my opinion I'd have to ask how many miles is it from the trailhead to the spot you plan to drop camp and hunt?