Will QAD Exodus go through an Elk’s Shoulder Blade?

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
BDD760FC-3B74-4565-A7AF-4901E2992D8F.jpeg

Yes.

I shoot a 525gr arrow with a 125gr Exodus and 75gr insert, going about 255fps. The shot was 40yds and the broadhead exited the opposite side.

I have worried my slow arrow wouldn’t go through the shoulder blade and thought about switching to a 2 blade like an Iron Will.

Also, it makes a cute heart shape in the shoulder blade. It will make a great Valentin gift for the wife.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a 100 lb pig 2 day ago.. He was facing me at 20 yards.. 500 grain arrow exodus on the front . Right between the ears the arrow came out the ham and went another 5 yards... I sharpened the broadhead today and put it back in my quiver..

My experience in this situation, 460 grain Injexion FMJ, with a 100 grain deep six Exodus. Accidentally hit the shoulder and the head snapped of the end of the arrow instantly, maybe a couple inches of penetration. I’ll never use deep six again. The Exodus is a great head that stays wicked sharp.

Trevor96

Lil-Rokslider
I broke the hip bone on a big bull with one

He was quartered towards me a lot more than I thought
Single lung, through the guts stopped at the opposite hip just inside the hide

I hit a bull moose with one at 31 yards on a hard quartering shot and only hit one lung but the Exodus head was so deeply buried in the shoulder joint the moose couldn't move. He'd stand up then lay down again. Bought me the time I needed for him to expire. Even the butcher couldn't get the BH out of the bone.

Holocene

WKR
Yes, but like Matt B said depends on where on the scapula you hit.

I shot a spike elk a few years ago at 13 yards quartering away and the Exodus blew threw the elk and out the far shoulder. It was a ~480 grain arrow going about 280 fps.

Zac

WKR
A few seasons ago Trent on Born and Raised shot a bull in the shoulder with a 500 grain plus FMJ with a 125 grain Exodus on the front. He got very little penetration and the bull was fine. I think almost any broadhead will blow through a stationary elk shoulder bone in someone's backyard. However an animal in motion is an entirely different situation. That is the main problem of the Ashby studies. Shooting at corpses that don't flinch or move does not duplicate live animal situations.

Impressive, my findings with my bows, is shoulders have always been disappointing outcomes even on deer.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A few seasons ago Trent on Born and Raised shot a bull in the shoulder with a 500 grain plus FMJ with a 125 grain Exodus on the front. He got very little penetration and the bull was fine. I think almost any broadhead will blow through a stationary elk shoulder bone in someone's backyard. However an animal in motion is an entirely different situation. That is the main problem of the Ashby studies. Shooting at corpses that don't flinch or move does not duplicate live animal situations.
The "shoulder" is made up of the scapula and the humerus bones with the "knuckle" right in the middle where they come together. That's the part to avoid regardless what your setup is, but being right in the middle seems to be an ideal aiming point. Lots of elk get shot in or near the "knuckle" with very little damage or penetration done. But if you watch a lot of the TV hunters, you'll see that many times they seem to have trouble with penetration even when they shoot behind the shoulder and only through ribs.

OP
DB29

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
The picture of the hole in the shoulder blade that I posted was from shooting at a live elk, not a postmortem shot in the backyard. It was very close to a broadside shot, slightly quartering toward me and he was moving slowly.

Reactions: Zac