Williams rear peep issues, HELP!

1982davew

FNG
My son and I have the popular williams peep, marble ramp, lyman globe, lee shaver insert set up. We shoot tc pro hunter fx 50 cal muzzleloaders. Wishing would have done a little more research but now we are 2 weeks out from elk season and can't get the sights to come up without running out of thread on our screws. Shimmed up my sons with 2 thin refrigerator magnets and 2 pop can shims and hes still 4" low at 13 yds. Im about 3" low same setup. BH209 powder and thor 300 grain bullets. Is there an easy/ reasonable fix out there?

Is it the Williams FP peep? If it is there are target knobs that are longer than the regular screw.

if you want to stick with your front sights the only way I see would be to use the “ghost ring” muzzle Brite sight:

that assumes you can get the correct one for your gun and get them overnighted and installed in time. But as the previous poster said, the quickest way to fix the issue is to go back to your original front sight.

Something that may help you decide to switch back to the original front sight. Take your gun out this evening during the last 10 minutes of shooting light and see how well you can see the fronts crosshairs. I never like those globe sights in low light

OP

1982davew

FNG
We finally got on target last night but I just stepped outside at first light and you can't see anything in the globe. How accurate is a rear peep and the stock fiber optic on the front?

I can shoot like 1" groups at the range like that.
The main problem is the bead covers up to much of the deer at distance.
But i don't think you really have time to be splitting hairs this year.
You just need to triage and get something that works.

I shoot 2" groups with a front fiberoptic bead. The trick is to use the 6 O'clock hold. In other words, don't cover up the bullseye with the front bead. You set the bull on TOP of the front sight. switching from covering the bull to 6 o'clock hold took my 100 yards groups form 4 to 2"

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I shoot 2" groups with a front fiberoptic bead. The trick is to use the 6 O'clock hold. In other words, don't cover up the bullseye with the front bead. You set the bull on TOP of the front sight. switching from covering the bull to 6 o'clock hold took my 100 yards groups form 4 to 2"
Exactly it allows you to shoot much further.