Winchest model 70. Worth upgrading stock?

bobr1

WKR
Hello,

So I have a Winchester model 70 walmart special in 300 win mag from the early 2000s. I would like to make a solid hunting gun and was thinking about swapping out the plastic stock to a Bell and Carlson. I am waiting for the right deal on a tikka or browning x bolt (probably in 6.5 creedmoor) but thought I might be able to make a decent hunting rifle with the right setup with what I have until I get one. Is this a waste of time or has anyone done this before? Also, I have a leupold VX-3i waiting to be put on something.

Thanks,

Bob

N2TRKYS

WKR
The first rifle my Dad gave me was a push fed M70 270 Win Ranger. I wouldn't take anything for that rifle. I'm not changing anything on this one.

If you like the rifle, go for it. I've swapped stocks on several other rifles and have never regretted it.

16Bore

WKR
PF M70’s are sleepers and a better stock is a better stock. Don’t let all the hub bub fool yah, you’ve got a rig that will do it all, and then some.

1969 PF 270 that’s more reliable than a Rolex and shoots like a mofo....for conversation.

56FB64C5-D575-4227-8F2D-7D83D6047571.jpeg

It's a rifleman's rifle too! Mr. O'Connor scoffed at the push feed design in 1963 but, after a few years of refinement he came to realize what an incredible design it really was! 16 bore has it right.... they are sleepers--acclaimed to be a better design than the 700 Remington (think about that) but, Jack and others killed it in its' infancy and it never recovered. Great rifle! Carry on!

N2TRKYS

WKR
It's a rifleman's rifle too! Mr. O'Connor scoffed at the push feed design in 1963 but, after a few years of refinement he came to realize what an incredible design it really was! 16 bore has it right.... they are sleepers--acclaimed to be a better design than the 700 Remington (think about that) but, Jack and others killed it in its' infancy and it never recovered. Great rifle! Carry on!

My M70 push fed action is an '80s version. Since it has a 3 position safety, I definitely wouldn't consider it a better design than my M700s.

Shrek

WKR
A B&C stock is definitely an upgrade from the plastic factory stock. I always grind out some of the aluminum block and bed with MarineTex grey. A B&C is no McMillan but is a good stock for reasonable money.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
PF M70’s are sleepers and a better stock is a better stock. Don’t let all the hub bub fool yah, you’ve got a rig that will do it all, and then some.

1969 PF 270 that’s more reliable than a Rolex and shoots like a mofo....for conversation.

View attachment 107701

what stock is that? does it have a Schnabel foreend? I have a Featherweight I was toying with swapping in a lighter stock

Shrek

WKR
Two things that will really improve your Winchester is an Ernie the Gunsmith trigger spring and a decent stock.
http://www.erniethegunsmith.com/ I buy the target for my M70’s. A little stoning to get solid contact on the sear and the spring and you’ll have a very good two pound trigger.

Last edited:

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,

So I have a Winchester model 70 walmart special in 300 win mag from the early 2000s. I would like to make a solid hunting gun and was thinking about swapping out the plastic stock to a Bell and Carlson. I am waiting for the right deal on a tikka or browning x bolt (probably in 6.5 creedmoor) but thought I might be able to make a decent hunting rifle with the right setup with what I have until I get one. Is this a waste of time or has anyone done this before? Also, I have a leupold VX-3i waiting to be put on something.

Thanks,

Bob
What are you wanting to do with a "swap out"? A stock that is stronger that the one on it? Doubtful that you could break that IM stock... If you're needing less weight, look to a Mcmillan edge but be forewarned, to lose 10 oz, it's gonna cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 675.00 for a hunters edge... The bell and Carlson stocks aren't bad, and I own one, but they are still a bit heavy and not any stronger than the IM stock IMO..

OP
B

bobr1

WKR
What are you wanting to do with a "swap out"? A stock that is stronger that the one on it? Doubtful that you could break that IM stock... If you're needing less weight, look to a Mcmillan edge but be forewarned, to lose 10 oz, it's gonna cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 675.00 for a hunters edge... The bell and Carlson stocks aren't bad, and I own one, but they are still a bit heavy and not any stronger than the IM stock IMO..

No, I don't want to go any lighter, especially with the 300 win mag. I figured having a more solid stock might give it slightly better accuracy or repeatability. I'm just doing research and asking questions to see what might make it a more accurate rifle minus the shooter without spending a ton on it.

Shrek

WKR
I have to strenuously disagree about the strength difference between a B&C and the plastic Walmart special stocks. I happen to have both off the rifles at the moment and just went and flexed them both. The plastic stock is a flexible POS ! The B&C is solid and it takes a good bit of effort to flex it at all and then it’s very little. I don’t happen to have a McMillam off right now but I don’t remember it being any stiffer than the B&C. The finish is much better on the McMillan. The Plastic stock flexes right behind the action lug in the magazine cutout area where the flex in the B&C is forward of the aluminum bedding block and very little at that. The two stocks are not close in stiffness.

Shrek

WKR
To add a little more information. The plastic stock weighed 30.5 ounces , the B&C 32.2 ounces , and a wood sporter 34.5 ounces. The wood was about as stiff as the B&C but the slight flex was in the magazine cutout area.

JFK

WKR
My dad has a push feed m70. Trigger job from a qualified gunsmith made a huge difference.

Shrek

WKR
The original Winchester trigger is easy to work on. If you can turn a screw you can replace the spring for a vast improvement and if you have a small fine/hard stone and a little sense you can improve the sear contact for an even better trigger. Often there is as little as 10% contact on the sear surfaces. This makes for a much harder trigger pull because the pressure of the spring is distributed over such a small area. By stoning in the direction of trigger pull you can increase contact and remove crosswise scratches which will decrease trigger pull and make it smoother. The key is to not change sear angle.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I had a push feed 270 that shot great, average 5/8 with factory ammo. I had to re-barrel it and it shoots .3 with little effort. I have a 3006 push feed that needs a stock , ernie the gunsmith hunter spring and a trigger job from my gunsmith. It will stay that way as I want a sporter for still hunting in the timber.
I did the same thing to the 270 trigger and its one of the nicest triggers you will find.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
I have a M70 featherweight that I swapped stocks on. The wood was getting beat up somewhat and I hunt in a lot of crummy weather. I have never bedded a stock before but it was quite easy using Marine Tex grey. If I do my part it will shoot under 1moa. I lightened the trigger pull and it feels quite good.
424be76fcb2644caf19a105ee33ccd15.jpg
9241358b92f07521680faf885152cc25.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ that first picture the Featherweight barrel almost looks like a bull barrel, must have been the angle- 2nd pic looks normal :)

what stock did you go with?