Winchester Ammo QA Issue? 44 Rem Mag Round With Short Case

37N23E

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_0283.JPG
Hi Everyone,

I was inspecting some 44 mag ammo in the safe today and noticed one of the bullets looked a bit off.

It looks like the brass is 1-2mm shorter than all the other rounds and the bullet isn't seated as far into the brass. Makes me wonder if it has too much powder and could be out of spec? Interestingly its still the same length as the others in the box.

This is Winchester Super X 44 Rem Mag 240 grain.

If I was shooting an all steel Ruger I probably wouldn't worry, but my main woods gun is a S&W 329PD which isn't as heavy duty as some of the steel guns out there.

What do you guys think? Toss it or not an issue?

Attachments

• IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    414.8 KB · Views: 13
OP
37N23E

37N23E

Lil-Rokslider
I sent in an inquiry. Ill post their reply in case anyone is curious.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Given that the OAL is the same, the case volume should be the same (all else being equal). Why the brass is short is strange, but I'd guess of no consequence.

OP
37N23E

37N23E

Lil-Rokslider
Given that the OAL is the same, the case volume should be the same (all else being equal). Why the brass is short is strange, but I'd guess of no consequence.
Check out the bullet - the ridged area on the copper jacket is also higher compared to the standard bullet where the brass is supposed to crimp onto it, and the lead is also thinner at the top. Could it have more powder in the case since the bullet isn't seated as deep? Definitely won't shoot this round just in case but it should be interesting to hear what Winchester says.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed that the cannula is a little higher, but overall it appears to be the same bullet. Manufacturing tolerances maybe? The safe thing is to not shoot it. Pretty sure most people would never have noticed, including myself.

I had a box of 45 Winchester ammo with a messed up round about 10 years ago.
The bullet was stuffed way down into the case, like to the point of almost falling in.
I never checked into it just thru that round away.

Pays to visually inspect before loading up.