Winchester Ballistic Silvertips for long range shooting?

MuleyMike

FNG
Any opinions on this factory ammo? My .300 win mag shoots it less than 0.5MOA at 100, but haven’t had the chance to shoot it any farther. Just seeing what others thoughts are on it before the next range day or before I buy any more. Thanks.

Forest

WKR
Not my first choice for critters bigger than deer. But if they shoot that good it's worth having around!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Have not tried them on anything but hogs at night 100yds or less and routinely find the jacket separated from the core. Only one hole. 308.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
The exact same bullet as the Nosler Ballistic tip but with a coating(Lubalox) and silver polymer tip instead of caliber specific color coded tip.
Once upon a time they were reasonably priced and well regarded as a bullet for longer range hunting, of course most considered 600-800 yards long range. BC's are optimistic compared to modern ELD and VLD bullets and they aren't as spectacular in upset as velocities really drop, unlike some newer options. Some have a thicker jacket that lends itself to decent weight retention if that gives you the warm and fuzzies. They have increased beyond many comparable bullets from other manufactures in price. The 7mm 150 grain is still a favorite deer bullet near or as far as I feel the need for, and often shoot well.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If it shoots small at 100 it will shoot small at 500, except velocity spread. So for long range Its gonna depend in how far you shoot and the velocity spread. You can measure that with a chronograph.

Other than that, the BC is lower than other bullets so you get more drop and wind drift than other options.

The other consideration is bullet expansion at long range. Find the minimum expansion velocity and that's your maximum range from that aspect.

OP
M

MuleyMike

FNG
The exact same bullet as the Nosler Ballistic tip but with a coating(Lubalox) and silver polymer tip instead of caliber specific color coded tip.
Once upon a time they were reasonably priced and well regarded as a bullet for longer range hunting, of course most considered 600-800 yards long range. BC's are optimistic compared to modern ELD and VLD bullets and they aren't as spectacular in upset as velocities really drop, unlike some newer options. Some have a thicker jacket that lends itself to decent weight retention if that gives you the warm and fuzzies. They have increased beyond many comparable bullets from other manufactures in price. The 7mm 150 grain is still a favorite deer bullet near or as far as I feel the need for, and often shoot well.
Thanks for the insite
Thank you for the insight. That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.