Winchester Ballistic Tip Bullets

I can not speak for running the Winchesters out of the 25-06 but I have shot the Nosler BT 115 grainers out of the 257 Roberts. I found pretty good accuracy. Generally the BTs have good performance as a hunting load but even on antelope they tend to ruin a lot of meat when they hit bone. For what it is worth, I have gone to 110 grain accubonds with better accuracy and better terminal performance.

FLS

WKR
It’s a hammer. 25-06 is one of the best medium game rounds out there. I’ve killed a bunch of deer and a few antelope with them. Used them and 117 Sierras for several years for depredation work. 25-06 is a high velocity round and you’re going to get a significan damage with any expanding bullet if you hit bone.

I shoot 110 grain Accubonds out of my 25-06 , it shoots and performs great on whitetails.
Nosler advertises the Ballistic Tips as "deer size game" bullets - 3 times I've have them literally blow up and leave "gold dust" strewn throughout average size mulies with 180 B.T.'s at anywhere from 150 to 350 yards from a 300 win mag - Accubonds work 1000% better

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
Nosler advertises the Ballistic Tips as "deer size game" bullets - 3 times I've have them literally blow up and leave "gold dust" strewn throughout average size mulies with 180 B.T.'s at anywhere from 150 to 350 yards from a 300 win mag - Accubonds work 1000% better

I've never shot a muley with anything other than the 165 grain NBT in the Federal Premium load (.30-06) and not once have I ever seen one blow up. Shots from 30 feet to out past 400 yards, every single one of them made a nice exit wound even after hitting one or two ribs. Never hit any bone heavier than that so I won't comment on a hit on sturdier bone.

I've never shot a muley with anything other than the 165 grain NBT in the Federal Premium load (.30-06) and not once have I ever seen one blow up. Shots from 30 feet to out past 400 yards, every single one of them made a nice exit wound even after hitting one or two ribs. Never hit any bone heavier than that so I won't comment on a hit on sturdier bone.
crazy huh ? I used to hunt elk with a 7mm fast wildcat and 150 BT's, on all but 1 of 5 bulls killed it was like that, then that "1" and it spooked me bad

crazy huh ? I used to hunt elk with a 7mm fast wildcat and 150 BT's, on all but 1 of 5 bulls killed it was like that, then that "1" and it spooked me bad
all we had then from Nosler was partitions and I just could not force myself to use them, we primarily hunted snake river country so long shooting sometimes, I was younger and if I'd known what I now do partitions would have been my preference until Accubonds came along (but then, I'm still a sucker for the next big thing)

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider

I just saw you were using a .300 and 180's so that's a bit more speed than my -06. Still, I have absolute faith in the NBT's (at least the .30 calibers as that's all I use) for deer size game. The one any only shot I ever took on game with an SST blew up and that was a small coyote, NBT's haven't done that yet. I would say they seem a bit light for elk but I've never shot any sort of tipped bullet at anything bigger than a deer so I'll avoid that discussion.

Forest

WKR
I used to use ballistic tips a lot (not Winchester) and have gone away from them because of the amount of meat damage more than anything. Couple times I even questioned penetration. I have switched to bonded bullets and giving the non-lead group a try this year.

Jardo

WKR
I prefer accubonds. Ballistic tips are very fragile and wont penetrate well. If you do end up using them, aim for ribs, not shoulder and avoid any shot that’s not broadside.

I nearly decapitated a small buck several years ago when I shot it in the neck with a 270 win ballistic tip. I only had a neck shot and when it hit bones it blew up. The head was barely hanging on.

Great bullet for prairie dogs though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FLS

WKR
Ive used factory 150s out of a 300 WSM, 115s out of a 25-06, 130s out of a 270, 165s out of 308 and 30-06. Always accurate and lethal and never had a problem with penetration on medium game.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What do you guys think of the Ballistic Tip 115gr Bullet out of a 25-06?

Works great.

Nosler advertises the Ballistic Tips as "deer size game" bullets - 3 times I've have them literally blow up and leave "gold dust" strewn throughout average size mulies with 180 B.T.'s at anywhere from 150 to 350 yards from a 300 win mag

Did you get an exit? The 180gr 30cal NBT is actually a pretty “tough” bullet. Over 60% of its weight is the jacket. Not saying it couldn’t happen, but I’ve seen well over a hundred bite the dust with that bullet- including elk.

I prefer accubonds. Ballistic tips are very fragile and wont penetrate well. If you do end up using them, aim for ribs, not shoulder and avoid any shot that’s not broadside.

I nearly decapitated a small buck several years ago when I shot it in the neck with a 270 win ballistic tip. I only had a neck shot and when it hit bones it blew up. The head was barely hanging on.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same question as above- did you recover the bullet pieces to know it blew up?

As for NBT’s being fragile, not so much. The originals (from 30 years ago) tended to be fragile. However Nosler increased jacket thickness on quite a few, to the point that those are indistinguishable from Accubonds in animals.