Winchester Featherweight experience?

topher89

WKR
Anyone out there bought a new Featherweight recently? Its a time for a new rifle for my backpack hunts. I am not interested in anything super-light, I have been thinking about getting a Tikka (6.5 Creed, 308 or 30-06).

I like the classic look of the Featherweight though and it comes in any of the calibers I am interested. Any comments about accuracy or action would be great.

Thanks in advance.

The .243 is a newer model with the classic controlled feed action. They are both fairly accurate, but to be honest I'm not the best to ask, as far as bench rest accuracy goes. I'm pretty easy to please and a 1" group at 100yards is more than good enough for my style of hunting (fairly short range for the most part). Seems like I can usually get a 3 shot group to get pretty close to that out of most all my model 70s though. I also don't reload, so hopefully there are others that are way more knowledgeable than me on the subject that can add their thoughts

desertcj

WKR
I have a featherweight in 7mm-08. I've had it for a few years now and I love the way it looks and feels. I do sorta wish it was a stainless featherweight though. They weren't making them when I got mine, but they are available again. Mine isn't super accurate, about 1moa with loads that it likes. I suppose that's about all you really need for it's intended purpose.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have two (.257 Roberts & .30-06), both circa mid-late 70's. Gorgeous rifles to look at and while I wouldn't haul one to a benchers competition, mine are both plenty accurate for big game hunting. By new standards, they aren't as light as some, but mine topped with straight 6X Leupold's (and Talleys) tip the scales at 7 lbs even- not shabby at all imo

CE8YZci.jpg

aFgQMOQ.jpg

Trial153

WKR
I got one in a 7x57, havent touched in years. Then again i havent taken a rifle out to hunt in years either.
Anyway it was/is a decent shooter with hand loads, mine seemed to like 140 grain balastic tips.
I should sell the thing.

desertcj

WKR
I got one in a 7x57, havent touched in years. Then again i havent taken a rifle out to hunt in years either.
Anyway it was/is a decent shooter with hand loads, mine seemed to like 140 grain balastic tips.
I should sell the thing.

Man 7x57 is a great classic chambering to have a featherweight in! I'd like one in 7x57, 6.5x55 and a .257 Robert's would about round out the trio!

rfgreenwell

Lil-Rokslider
I have had one in .257 Roberts bought new about 1977 and have harvested many Eastern whitetails with it. My son in law inherited a pre-64 in .257 Roberts and used it for antelope and coyotes out west and I believe he planted a bull in AZ about 20 years ago. Maybe not the best choice for elk but he used what he had. Both have always had acceptable accuracy for hunting though neither of us normally shoots over 200-250 yds. I think my favorite load was a 117gr boattail, can't remember the powder now, was a slower one, 4350 maybe. And I think Nosler made a 120gr partition that I played with. I have had other bolt rifles but the Win 70 has always been my favorite.

Got two newer ones from the FN Portugal factory in 308.

They are extremely accurate right out of the box and really like the 165 gr bullets. With no mods I’m clover leading with Hornady factory Ammo.

The wood isn’t as pretty as the older ones but then again you can find the featherweights all day long online right now for less than $700.

At that price point they are a really good bargain.

I’d take the newer FN Winchester M70’s over any of the US made one’s.

Got two newer ones from the FN Portugal factory in 308.

They are extremely accurate right out of the box and really like the 165 gr bullets. With no mods I’m clover leading with Hornady factory Ammo.

The wood isn’t as pretty as the older ones but then again you can find the featherweights all day long online right now for less than $700.

At that price point they are a really good bargain.

I’d take the newer FN Winchester M70’s over any of the US made one’s.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
in very good shape- probably in the $600-700 range, more for a control feed

that's just an educated guess :)

Trial153

WKR
in very good shape- probably in the $600-700 range, more for a control feed

that's just an educated guess :)
Thanks for the info. Doesnt seem like it's enough to mess with selling it. That said its more then double what I paid for it.

gbflyer

WKR
I had one of the push feed versions. .243 on a long action. Wouldn’t feed...it would just fold them up. What a piece of crap. I’ve heard mostly good about the new FN’s, the purists wish for the old trigger. The New Haven Classics are sometimes a little crude but good to go.

OXN939

WKR
Anyone out there bought a new Featherweight recently? Its a time for a new rifle for my backpack hunts. I am not interested in anything super-light, I have been thinking about getting a Tikka (6.5 Creed, 308 or 30-06).

I like the classic look of the Featherweight though and it comes in any of the calibers I am interested. Any comments about accuracy or action would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Mine is a laser, and not picky at all with factory ammo. Just such a pretty little rifle I'll probably never sell it. The more rifles I own, the more I like my Model 70s.

20190530_175848.jpg

Got a '92 vintage .280. Not a bench gun as others have said but shes a great hunting rifle and DAMN shes gorgeous.

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
I have one that's about 5 years old, 270 wsm. The gun handles really well but to call it a featherweight is a stretch. Weighs in about nine and a half pounds all up. Off the shelf groups hovered around an inch, brought it to Kampfeld Customs and had it bedded, fluted, and cerakoted. Shoots well under 1 inch groups now.

NEhunter

WKR
Have one in 270. Shoots cheap ammo under an inch easily. Mine sits in the safe too much and needs to get out, maybe I’ll drag her out for late season does next month.
af8550e3d96a19cb68c6b0b3d5a0b189.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk