Winchester Longbeard 20 gauge patterning

Question, has anybody patterned the new Winchester Longbeard 20 gauge 5 and 6 shot? I just got a box of each today that has been on backorder since 1-31-17. Wondering what size choke got your best results. Thanks

Jasonridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Netherman

WKR
I don't think you'll find much out there yet. I'd check out some turkey specific forums but you're probably one of the first to get their hands on some. I know Carlson's makes a specific choke for the longbeards so they might be worth a look.

If you can correlate it to 12ga I shoot the 3.5" #5 XRs with an Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike. It patterns a little tight at 10-20yds but I could shoot 50+. I'm thinking about getting a box in #6 to test and maybe load a 6 followed by two 5s.

good luck.

Nick

Netherman

WKR
Due to an equipment malfunction on my turkey gun. Some dumbass occasionally known as me, stripped out the elevation screw and destroyed the rear sight trying to fix it. Not wanting to miss the first day of Michigan's season, I ended up using my wife's youth 870 turkey gun. probably the first time that choke (Remington super full) has been ever used. She like shooting clays but I haven't been able to get her hunting yet.

So the part you actually care about, I was also able to get a hold of some XRs in #5 shot at cabela's and was quite impressed with the patterns. I would call it a 30+ gun. Zero question at 30 and could probably get it done out to 40. At ~15 yards it got the job done this morning and with it's weight and size I might start bringing it along more often. maybe.

Nick

Attachments

• P4180034.jpg
    P4180034.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 26

woods89

WKR
You might just decide you dont like carrying a 12 ga after carrying that thing around! A youth 870 became my full time turkey gun.

I have no idea about longbeard xr. I shoot Federal Heavyweight 7s. My patterning shows me good to 40+ yards with a non-ported remington super-full.

Jimss

WKR
I've been using Longbeard XR's for several years with my Remington 870 stock barrel full choke, 3" mags, 1200 velocity, 1 3/4 oz, and 6 shot. When I was looking up loads I watched several youtube videos and the Longbeards repeatedly seemed to be the best. I think different shotgun barrels may be a little different but you may want to try several shots on paper at different ranges so you know exactly how far you can pattern head shots. I'm sure a 20 guage has less powder and fewer shot so likely shoots different. You might do a web search on 20 guage to get a feel for what's out there. Oldgobbler is a great website where seasoned turkey guys are more than willing to lend advice.

From what I understand 6 shot generally has more head shot pellets at longer range than 4 or 5 shot so that may also be a consideration. I shoot 4 to 5 toms every season and 99% of them are 1 shot kills. Just know your range and don't shoot any farther than that! 90% of the time I run and gun hunt so my shots may be a little farther than if I was set up on decoys. My average shots are 30 to 40 yards but I've shot several toms at 50 to 60 yards. If a tom is within 40 yards he is dead! If hunting over decoys you may be taking shorter shots so 20 gauge ought to be fine.

bradb

WKR
I have not tried the xr's in 20. But my little Weatherby sa 08 I set up for youth hunts shoots both hevi shot 7's and fed havy weight 7 with a SumToy choke to the tune of like 160+ in a 10" circle at 40. I rarely take my 12 anymore and the gun kills about 10 turkeys a year between me and friends. Its easily a 40++ yard gun