Winchester M70 - Carbon Barrel Worth It?

Jstolte

FNG
I recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in 300 Win Mag. I added an Ernie the Gunsmith trigger spring and am very happy with the rifle overall.

I want to run this rifle suppressed (Thunder Beast Ultra 7) and am thinking of purchasing a 20” barrel and figure I might as go with carbon.

My gun knowledge is definitely not on par with a lot of you guys on this forum. So I’m looking for input on the following:

-If I’m running a 20” barrel and shooting 180-grain projectiles, which twist rate should I go with and why?

- Will an upgraded barrel make this rifle more capable at longer ranges? I am interested in shooting out to 1,000 yards.

- Any other upgrades that would make this rifle a solid long range rifle?

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Unless the extreme weathers are different than the New Haven models, magazine length will limit some long range bullet options.

See how the stock works for you prone.

Should be a solid rifle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jstolte

FNG
Unless the extreme weathers are different than the New Haven models, magazine length will limit some long range bullet options.

Should be a solid rifle.

Love the stock overall, including in prone.
I’ll have to look into the magazine length, didn’t know this could be an issue.

Think about getting the new barrel in 300 WSM to avoid cartridge length issues if you are going to be shooting the longer bullets.

Should be a solid rifle.

What is the longest bullet you can get away with in this gun? I have one also and doing some custom work to it also. Wasn't thinking about switching to a wsm though since I all ready have bought dies for it in 300 win.

SDHNTR

WKR
Imo, bad idea. The M70 is a heavier action and a light carbon barrel would throw off the balance. Stick with a steel barrel of similar weight if you want to rebarrel. Or just cut the factory barrel to length and thread it. Especially if that barrel is already a known shooter.

Do you handload? If not, the magazine length issue is a moot point. Any factory loaded offerings will not be so long as to not fit in the mag well.

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
The mag box length on mine is about 3.43". I can fit a 200 accubond or ELDX at 3.34 saami coal and a saami throat. Could go 3.37 (bullet variation) or so without feeding issues. I am at 2850 FPS or so in 1/10 twist. Faster on the accubonds and brass wont last long.

180s should be fine. Long rangers like 215 Berger's probably not.

You could go longer COAL but would need some action parts from a magnum (300 h&h, 375) action and it probably not worth the effort. Tuning a CRF from scratch is a bit of a task.

Grumman

WKR
I’ve never seen one in person, but believe Winchester put out a special run with Christensen carbon barrels years ago. I always thought that would be neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I’ve never seen one in person, but believe Winchester put out a special run with Christensen carbon barrels years ago. I always thought that would be neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had one. It wasn't threaded for a brake nor had enough meat to add one. I broke every scope it wore with exception to a zeiss conquest and a 4200. That gun would beat the bedding out of the stock in a couple hundred rounds.