Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
I recently handled one in Cabelas the other day chambered in a 6.5 prc and it immediately started talking to me. It sure felt well balanced and it sure was pretty. Although advertised as a featherweight it’s still weights around 7lbs with no scope.

Does anyone have any experience with them? How is the quality and accuracy? How are they to lug around the mountains? How do they compare with other light weight rifles?

Before I looked more serious into the rifle and would like to hear everyone’s input and recommendations. For reference I am also considering a Kimber or Tikka in either the 6.5 prc or the 280 ai. Winchester doesn’t chamber for the 280 ai.

Thanks and looking forward to the comments!

MJB

WKR
I have that model in 270w it's my dedicated hog gun.

I'm going to have to replace the barrel after 30yrs due to rusting on the exterior.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
I have several. They are exceptionally good rifles. I wish Winchester would br back the stainless featherweight. You can buy an off the shelf McM stock and lighten it up too…

hersh2209

Lil-Rokslider
I have 3 of them, .308 .280 and 300wsm.. they are are 1"moa or less .. get a quality scope and you will be set

Wapiti1

WKR
I'd just get the 6.5 PRC version, and enjoy it. You're splitting hairs between the two cartridges unless you have a specific need, IMO. Even then, the difference in on game performance is probably just in your head.

The new manufacture Winchester M70 is very well done. I have worked with quite a few, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I needed a new rifle. The only reason that I wouldn't is if I wanted super light weight without extra cost of new stock, etc. Then I would look elsewhere.

I do wish the supergrade maple was available in .375 and .416.

Jeremy

Not a featherweight but a Classic Model 70 with a 24" barrel. It was a 270 Win but I had it custom made into a 280AI. It is very accurate and I sure like the Model 70's.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
I’m mainly requesting reviews and information on the New Manufacture Model 70 featherweight. Not sure if they are made to same specs and quality as the older ones but they appear very nice.