Sold Winchester Model 70 Stainless Steel/Synthetic .338 Win Mag, with ammo - $1450

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zvestal

FNG
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Five or so years ago when I went to take the hunter's safety course, as a midlifer trying to take up the harvesting of OG free range grass fed meat from the forest, this rifle was up on the wall in the gun store. New to hunting, new to shooting, it looked like a great deal! Already set up with the scope, sling, soft case, and 40 or so rounds of the previous owner's handloads. "That's a pretty hefty caliber for a new shooter," they said. "Nah, I'll be fine," I said. "What are you gonna go and hunt?" they asked. "Well I want to learn elk hunting," I said. "Ok. Well. Are you sure you don't want to practice your marksmanship with something a little, ah, more forgiving to shoot?" "Nah, I'll be fine," I said. "Well OK then, here you go, and good luck!" they said, happy to have sold a rifle that was in the store on consignment for who knows how long.

My first trip to the indoor 100yd range was eye opening, to say the least. More like, it darn near opened up my shoulder socket. 12 rounds down, each shot more painful than the one prior, me literally sweating and shaking, rested on a carpet-covered 4x4 post (all that was on hand in the lane), trying to squeeze the trigger the way I knew it should be done. I still have that target paper if anyone wants a good laugh. The rifle was decently zeroed, maybe 2" high, but zeroed (as far as I could discern). I however, was not.

My shoulder was yellow, green, and purple the next day. By midweek, the hematoma had spread down my arm to my elbow. Next time out, the slip-on limbsaver helped a bit but it was still a bear for me to manage. Yet I still went on my first two elk hunts with this gun! Found some animals both times out. But both were unsuccessful. No need to share all details of the second empty tag, but suffice to say, in the excitement of finding a cow in my crosshairs at about 70 yards, it was my lack of confidence that prevented pulling the trigger. Well, that and a lack of competence - I had not pushed the 3-position safety all the way forward.

Then and there, I knew I needed to spend WAY more time shooting and handling the weapon. It had to be second nature.

The good news? This debacle led me down the road toward a Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmore (yes, they are good for something, and no, I never grew a man bun, but I did drop it into a sweet chassis, got a cool scope, learned to pull paint off steel at 1k - *sometimes ), a 7 Rem Mag, a 6.5 PRC, a Marlin lever gun, and all sorts of new experiences. And a lot of remarkable encounters but ultimately still unsuccessful elk hunts since. Some great opportunities, encounters on nearly every outing, but still no full freezer despite the efforts . . . and NO REGRETS either. Well, maybe one, but that was on me, 100%. The others were newbie mistakes and that's OK. I have learned something every single time out.

The bad news? This really cool rifle needs a new home. I can't afford to have it collecting dust any more. I'm sorry to see my first friend of a firearm head out of the house.

All I know about it is what you see in the photos. It's got the old school Leupold scope, the sling, the recoil pad. I'm selling the ammo shown as well. Some of the prior owner's handloads plus a few boxes I bought in a more hopeful spending spree. It's all I've got and I won't need it.

Will I regret this? YEP. Is it the end of the world? NOPE. Do I have to? Eh, I do, dang it. I need to pare down. It's gotten out of hand.

Sorry old girl. Go make someone else happy this time. $1450 to your FFL, ammo ships separately.

thumbnail_IMG_0395.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0396.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0397.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0398.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0399.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0400.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0401.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0401.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0402.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0403.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0404.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0404.jpg

RussDXT

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One of the best for sale ads I have seen. Glws, have you thought about getting it threaded and perhaps get the large Thunderbeast can for it?

I did that with a tikka 300 wsm and went from punishing (not quite what you have stated with this) to an absolute joy to shoot.

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nice rifle, yes without a muzzle tamer that beast will almost hurt you as bad as what you shoot. I had a browning win. mag. with boss muzzle brake kicked like a 3006 not bad. Now I am selling equipement that I am not using to fund an elk hunt this fall, cost are higher as I am paying for my grandson costs, need someone young strong person to pack it out, lol.

OP
Z

Zvestal

FNG
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One of the best for sale ads I have seen. Glws, have you thought about getting it threaded and perhaps get the large Thunderbeast can for it?

I did that with a tikka 300 wsm and went from punishing (not quite what you have stated with this) to an absolute joy to shoot.
Cheers! Thought about it but focusing efforts on the .300 and below class, for now.

JAC8504

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great for sale ad! If you decide to sell the ammo separately let me know!!! I’m looking for ammo!

Bghntr416

FNG
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Those stainless Leupolds are bringing a premium. If you don't get it sold, consider selling the scope separately as well as the ammo. You should get as much as you are asking and maybe a bit more. It is only a little more time and effort to do it this way. Good luck with the sale.

OP
Z

Zvestal

FNG
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello everyone,
Life got crazy last spring with a relocation and a new job and I lost the thread of trying to sell this rifle. It's still available as originally posted, with scope and ammunition. I will consider separating the package if you're interested in one thing or the other.

And, nice update: harvested a Colorado pronghorn doe last month. 415yd. Amazing experience, life changing. Best meals of my life, bar none.

OP
Z

Zvestal

FNG
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for that. I should go see if I have a photo of my shoulder and arm after that session. It was purple and green down to the elbow by 48 hrs later.

wyosteve

WKR
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Zvestal, just a suggestion from someone who's only used a .338 for the past 35 years. When shooting off a bench, put a sand bag or other cushion between your shoulder and the buttstock. Off a bench puts the shoulder in an awkward position where the rifle hits the top of the shoulder rather than the meaty part. It also can help minimize a 'flinch'. Just my .02.

OP
Z

Zvestal

FNG
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Right on, that's good to know. I should try that with my next one. Until then . . . this very one could be yours!! Bruises NOT included! :D

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I love a 338, sandbag trick is a lifesaver at the range for the heavier calibers too.

I’ve noticed a different/aftermarket stock can make a world of difference in felt recoil too. The cheaper plastic stocks even in smaller calibers can make recoil surprisingly aggressive. I shoot most everything suppressed now, it’s a game changer for recoil as well as sound.

GLWS - hard to beat a Model 70

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’ve noticed a different/aftermarket stock can make a world of difference in felt recoil too. The cheaper plastic stocks even in smaller calibers can make recoil surprisingly aggressive.
+1 on this. I used a mcmillan on my 280 Ackley build and its felt recoil is much less than the 25-06 I built. That’s saying something too.

GLWS, great ad

Status
Not open for further replies.