Winchester Model 70

S.Clancy

WKR
All, I've been shooting a Win Model 70 in .270 for a long time. This gun shoots, but its heavy, 9.2 lbs loaded with scope (older Weaver 4-16x44). If I only replace scope and stock, what kind of weight savings an I looking at? Thanks for any info. Fyi, 24" barrel and black composite stock.

gbflyer

WKR
It’s really hard to lighten them up very much with a factory barrel contour.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Break your rig down and see how much the scope/mounting system weighs. Next, weigh your stock without the action or barrel in it. With these weights accounted for, you can start doing some shopping and weight comparisons to see how much you'll be able to shave off.

Have tried to do the same thing with my Remington Model 7. You are not going to be shaving off much at all. Doubt you can even get a full pound off it it unless your original stock and scope are really heavy.

SDHNTR

WKR
I disagree. Put a McMillian Edge or AG Composites carbon fiber stock on there. Then some Talley Lightweight scope rings/bases. I bet you’ll easily shave a pound +. I don’t know the specs on your scope but there is likely some weight savings to be had there too. You could even flute the bolt and skeletonize the handle to cut a couple ounces there too (that mod probably doesn’t pencil dollars per ounces, but it looks cool). Go with a blind mag system and you’ll knock off another 4 or so ounces. I see no reason why you couldn’t get the rifle/scope combo down to 8# Pretty easily if you don’t need a big tactical scope.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I disagree. Put a McMillian Edge or AG Composites carbon fiber stock on there. Then some Talley Lightweight scope rings/bases. I bet you’ll easily shave a pound. I don’t know the specs on your scope but there is likes some weight savings to be had there too.

Why guess when he can follow my advice above and know his exact weights to compare with what is available in the aftermarket? He will know his potential weight savings before he makes any purchases at all.

SDHNTR

WKR
Why guess when he can follow my advice above and know his exact weights to compare with what is available in the aftermarket? He will know his potential weight savings before he makes any purchases at all.
I don’t disagree at all. Your advice is sound. But even without going through your detailed weighing process, having done similar mods in the past personally, I can say from experience that there is significant weight savings to be had with today’s aftermarket offerings.

OP
S.Clancy

S.Clancy

WKR
I disagree. Put a McMillian Edge or AG Composites carbon fiber stock on there. Then some Talley Lightweight scope rings/bases. I bet you’ll easily shave a pound +. I don’t know the specs on your scope but there is likely some weight savings to be had there too. You could even flute the bolt and skeletonize the handle to cut a couple ounces there too (that mod probably doesn’t pencil dollars per ounces, but it looks cool). Go with a blind mag system and you’ll knock off another 4 or so ounces. I see no reason why you couldn’t get the rifle/scope combo down to 8# Pretty easily if you don’t need a big tactical scope.
Thanks, thats the kind of info I was looking for. I'm trying to decide if I should try and lighten this gun, or just save up for a true lightweight rifle. This answered my question, Kimber here I come. Thanks for all the replies.

SDHNTR

WKR
Ah man, I wish I could talk you out of that! Kimbers are a risk. Could get a great one, could get a headache. I got the latter with my Kimber experience. Feeding issues that they never could fully fix, and barely acceptable (1.25” best it would ever do) accuracy.

imo, you have something tried and true. You already know it shoots well and you have confidence in it. Stick with it, just breathe a lil new life into it.

OP
S.Clancy

S.Clancy

WKR
Ah man, I wish I could talk you out of that! Kimbers are a risk. Could get a great one, could get a headache. I got the latter with my Kimber experience. Feeding issues that they never could fully fix, and barely acceptable (1.25” best it would ever do) accuracy.

imo, you have something tried and true. You already know it shoots well and you have confidence in it. Stick with it, just breathe a lil new life into it.
Thanks. I've hunted with it for 20 years. As we've been pushing farther from roads I've started to think about weight more. 6+ miles in with an entire mule deer, day kit and rifle with camp still to pack out I got to thinking that my rifle was kind of heavy. Maybe a couple months off and I'll forget. Or maybe I'm just a p***y 🤔

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks. I've hunted with it for 20 years. As we've been pushing farther from roads I've started to think about weight more. 6+ miles in with an entire mule deer, day kit and rifle with camp still to pack out I got to thinking that my rifle was kind of heavy. Maybe a couple months off and I'll forget. Or maybe I'm just a p***y 🤔
P.m. me if you want to talk more seriously about modding out your model 70. I’ve done it several times. It’s hands-down my favorite action out there, and I like to make stuff my own. You’ll have no problem dropping some weight on that sucker. Happy to walk you through it.

And beware rifles that are ultra lights because of pencil thin barrels. They are much harder to shoot accurately, and usually rather temperamental. I’d rather have a sporter weight + bbl and shave weight elsewhere.

If you really like M70’s and the 3 position safety and CRF (assuming yours is a CRF), than you’ll probably love a light wt. Kimber. The M70 is probably my all time favorite rifle, and I’ve owned three Kimber’s (2-Montana’s and a MA), and have handled/shot three other Kimber rifles (2-Montana’s and a Adirondack), that friends own, and they’ve all been very accurate rifles right out of the box. I did have a Montana that an occasional round would get hung up in the mag. box and not feed properly, but that ended up being a pretty easy fix. I won’t say that every Kimber that is produced is perfect, but the six that I’ve had experience with have been pretty close IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk