Winchester Super-X Power-Point Centerfire Rifle Ammo - 150 Grain - 7mm Remington Magnum

Enough/comfortable with the energy out to 4-500 yards on elk? Winchester’s website only listed energy out 2-300 yards, so just curious.

Btw they are on sale online at cabelas and brass pro shop right now. About $35 a box.

According to the ballistics and maintaining the suggested 1500 ft/lbs of energy for an elk, they are effective out to about 375 yards. Some guys will say less ft/lbs, but also need to look up what velocity or ft/lbs the bullet needs to properly expand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Thebigbaby
According to the ballistics and maintaining the suggested 1500 ft/lbs of energy for an elk, they are effective out to about 375 yards. Some guys will say less ft/lbs, but also need to look up what velocity or ft/lbs the bullet needs to properly expand.

Thank you sir. I appreciate the info. I’ll pass on the ammo then but not a bad price. Hopefully some folks that need 7mm regardless can see this post and pick some up if needed.

If you got a 7mm I’d pick it up at that price, just in case for 1 and can also be ammo just to shoot and make ur self really comfortable with ur rifle instead of shooting ur hunting ammo.

brn2hnt

WKR
Yes. One personal, couple others in the group. Switched to partitions and various flavors of bonded bullets and haven’t looked back.

Bighorner

WKR
I have shot a white tail doe and antelope with some Winchester tipped soft points from my 7 RM and not impressed at all. They pretty much exploded and resulted in dead right there, but the penetration was absoulty horrible. These were both around 150 yard shots.

Yes. One personal, couple others in the group. Switched to partitions and various flavors of bonded bullets and haven’t looked back.

Personal opinion, every bullet has had failures, just like every single broadhead. Nothing wrong with a persons opinion after failure. But in all honestly soft point bullets have killed more elk and deer in time than any other bonded bullet, why? Cause they have been around a lot longer. Bullet technology has come a long ways but sometimes you just can’t knock tried and proven, Remington corlokt and Winchester power point have hands down killed more animals.

brn2hnt

WKR
Personal opinion, every bullet has had failures, just like every single broadhead. Nothing wrong with a persons opinion after failure. But in all honestly soft point bullets have killed more elk and deer in time than any other bonded bullet, why? Cause they have been around a lot longer. Bullet technology has come a long ways but sometimes you just can’t knock tried and proven, Remington corlokt and Winchester power point have hands down killed more animals.

Absolutely personal opinion, part of why I intentionally added in the acronym for "your mileage may vary."

But bullet technology has come a long way, especially for thick, tough animals that (can) take a lot of killing like elk. Just like cast all lead bullets have killed more than cup and core bullets have, and just like stone arrowheads have likely killed more than everything else combined. Doesn't mean they're better, or that shot placement still doesn't trump everything, etc etc.

Squincher

WKR
I've killed a lot of deer with 150 gr Power Points in 30-06 and they do a great job, but I don't think they would offer consistent penetration on elk.