Winchester XPR- Any Long Term Reviews?

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
To make this a little more complete as I can add to the review of the XPR now:

I purchased a XPR Hunter Vias in 270 this September. I couldn't be more happy with it, the Vias edition while visually is so so for me the Perma-coated (ceramic coating from winchester) barrel and action was the selling point for me. The trigger is more than acceptable, it breaks like a glass rod and its shared with the model 70. Accuracy at 100 yards from a bench is touching holes without trigger adjustment. Overall I'm very happy with it, especially having $720 into it with rings & Leupold vx-3i, both optic and XPR have impressed me.

I might fill the stock with Devcon Steel Epoxy and try to balance the rifle the best I can but that is still up for debate. I also might lighten the trigger just a little, its pretty great as is but we'll see what 500 yards looks like.

I will try and get some 100 yard group pictures and I'm going to start practicing to 500 yards too so I will get those when I get the chance.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Following this up I've had one issue that I was able to solve. I went to make sure it was shooting true after travel and the bolt lock pin sheared, I was able to work the bolt loose and remove it. Still shot just fine and took two doe with at 137 and 120ish. Still very pleased for the price I gave for it.

OP
86indy

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review. Also considering xpr in 30.06.
If you can find one for sub $500 with the factory ceramic coating I wouldn't hesitate. I haven't even played with the trigger and it shoots moa at 100yards even with 14.99 a box herters. It'll be interesting once I hand load with it. If you're in the $650+ area Tikka has entered the playing field. Let me know if you have any question and I'll try to help.

j33

WKR
I've got about 80 rounds through my 30-06 XPR, handles recoil way better than my bro in law with his Tikka 30-06. After my shots I'm pretty much back on target. I went to minimum trigger pull and it was pulling 2.7lbs according to my bro inlaws gauge, their Tikka's were 2.5 lbs so I was pleasantly impressed by that.

One problem I'm starting to see with this gun is the play the magazine has with rounds in it. The bullets can move back and forth 1/4", this is with on two magazines purchased separately. Tikka's have about 1/3 of that play with their bullets. It was causing some bullets to impact the front of the gun when I was loading no matter what the speed and causing an indent in the bullet. Has anyone seen this before?

Last edited:

MudBugVa

FNG
So, does anyone have any longterm reviews now? Im considering a XPR green .308 (22" barrel) but its still hard to find out much about them.

Thank you for the input! If it werent for my college budget Id probably be putting more into a rifle but I have been known to go over the top, like unjustifiably over the top.. So I think this will be a good middle of the road for me. Thank you again guys!
How is S. IL these days? I was in college there from 03-07.

I think first year of production was 2017. So not going to be many long term reviews. I bought a XPR in 350 legend for a hunt I do in Ohio every year. Its my only budget rifle. The rest of my rifles are all much more expensive. The XPR was the only bolt 350 legend that checked all the boxes for me at the time I purchased it. I was pleasantly surprised with the rifle in all aspects for $450. I figured
i would buy a 350 in a higher quality rifle as they came out but I am thinking I will just hang on the this one.

MudBugVa

FNG
Thanks Boarmaster. I didnt know their production was so recent. Overall it seems like most people are happy with them.

Thanks Boarmaster. I didnt know their production was so recent. Overall it seems like most people are happy with them.
I killed two deer last season with it. I ranged both at approx 180 yards. For that chambering I thought it was pretty good. It isnt swiss watch quality but I feel a solid choice for the money. IMG_0908.jpegIMG_0905.jpeg

Sturgeon

WKR
So, does anyone have any longterm reviews now? Im considering a XPR green .308 (22" barrel) but its still hard to find out much about them.
I’ve had one a Vias XPR since 2017 or 2018 in .30-06. It’s been a pretty good gun considering I picked up new for less than $300. I’ve shot quite a few deer with even though I don’t shoot tiny groups with it at the range. It’s always the gun I take when it is raining, snowing, doing drives, or using a climbing tree stand. The gun is pretty weatherproof and has taken some abuse. My only complaint is that I lost the detachable magazine the other day and had to order a new one.