Winching/Vehicle extraction options, Ford Escape?

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately our current drive is a simple 2WD Ford Escape. I know the forest roads pretty well in N. WI (Chequamegon) and they are maintained enough so that I'm not too concerned with driving this go-kart up there this season. Getting a truck over the next year.

That said, of course, we could get pummeled and will need to get out. Not comfortable with cable come-alongs, really, though open to people who use them (I've used them fine, on a few occasions - just not too keen on the day a cable snaps). Anyone with reasonably inexpensive winching options for this car?

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to make a car do truck stuff, is just asking for it IMO. But if thats what ya got.... Park in smart spots, and dont be dumb, you'll be fine:ROFLMAO:

Big difference between a harbor freight special and a good come-along.

I would be more worried about where you are hooking to on that car, vrs the cable breaking. You dont have enough ass to pull hard enough to break that cable.

That said, while I dont use it much outside of work. I much prefer a ratcheting chain hoist over a comealong. I keep one in the toolbox of the truck. Its come in handy a time or two.

I have gotten out of a lot more jams in the winter with just a square point shovel
Yeah, I agree. Not ideal but been a rough year and have to go with what we have, next year promises to be better. Having gone back and forth to the UP of MIchigan more times than I care to remember, with plenty of near misses and the odd slip ups in white out conditions (including black ice at 50 mph, right into the snowbank), yep, conditioned to be cautious. Under no illusions though, knowing even the most cautious driving can still earn you a trip into stuck. It is what it is for now.

I have seen some guys talk about all kinds of mounting systems with lesser winches that they put on their cars, but I'm clueless, to be honest. For instance:

"You can buy a 2500lb atv winch for less than $75. It doesn't have to be mounted to the vehicle, use a synthetic choker and attach to your recovery points. Use a snatch block, now that 2500 is 5k."

-my gut tells me the ratcheting chain hoist might be the ticket. What is yours?

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
A lil reciever hitch and a quad winch has been used on more than a few small rigs

Is there actually anywhere on that car that you can hook on to?

This is what I have. Bought it for work and it moved into my truck. Prices are all over the place, and sometimes the longer chain ones are cheaper for some reason. So it pays to shop around

I still think some decent tire chains/cables and a shovel is going to do more for you than anything else
OK thanks, Steve. I'd been thinking of just putting on some snow chains and calling it a day, so you've given quite a been to go on, much appreciated.

ATV winch from HF!

If you have front and rest tow hooks or mounts for them... I'd probably bolt the winch to a plate and use chain or strap to attach it where it's needed.

Canabalize a set of jumper cables to run power.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
ATV winch from HF!

If you have front and rest tow hooks or mounts for them... I'd probably bolt the winch to a plate and use chain or strap to attach it where it's needed.

Canabalize a set of jumper cables to run power.
Awesome, thanks.