Wind in the Brooks Range?

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering what the typical winds are like in the Brooks? Anyone have enough time in the Brooks to lend some insight?

I know its the mountains and it can always blow up but some ranges are worse than others. I’ve spent a bunch of time in the Wrangells and can’t recall any bad wind days. The Chugach on the other hand, I expect to get my arse kicked by wind on pretty much every trip.

Snyd

WKR
What's worse than wind is when the North Slope Fog rolls in and engulfs everything. Can't hunt when you can't see.

Here's what it looks like when it starts. It fills up the valleys, creeps up the ridege, the cieling drops and your in the soup!

P8140109-1.jpg

fatbacks

WKR
I only have about thirty days (leaving tomorrow for 11 more days) in the Eastern Brooks so far, but nothing too extreme as far as wind. I would always be prepared for higher winds in the mountains though... I think the Chugach is in a league of its own with wind and storms... I've seen the strongest wind in my life in the Chugach - stronger than any experienced while climbing Denali

Snyd

WKR
There was one year it was real smokey. Like you could taste the smoke. We hiked in off the haul road up a drainage a few miles, pitched the tent and that night a front came in and the wind just howled up the valley. Not sure how fast but major wind, rain as well. In the morning we had clear skies and no smoke!

It was brutal cold in the mtns the next day and stayed that way. Snow a few days later. Waterfalls were frozen, we had to break ice to pump water from little potholes in the mtns. This was Aug 10.

OP
A

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from the Brooks. We had a pretty wet hunt. Snow, sleet, rain, low clouds, then rinse and repeat. Had some winds but nothing extreme or out of what would be expected in the mountains. Didn't really get any of the dense fog. Weather breaks, when you got them, seemed to always come in the evening.

Wish I had some sheep photos to post but no such luck.