Wind indicator

I am going to try using milk weed seeds and this year as a wind indicator. (Already checked and it is not considered a noctous weed) What have others used to hold seeds while hunting? I've considered a pouch of some sort but open to others ideas.

BBob

WKR

J.Pierce

FNG
Not nearly as classy but wrap the milkweed pod in electrical tape and slice it open enough to get your fingers in there and get a little pinch of fluff.
Add a piece of mason twine or cord for lanyard while wrapping the tape if you want to hang it or hook it somewhere.
Make sure the pods are good and dry beforehand.

Macintosh

WKR
I've struggled with this. Nothing else even approaches the same solar-system as milkweed in terms of being able to follow wind currents in very still air, but it's a PITA to carry and keep dry. About 20 years ago I was given a little soft plastic container of "fake" milkweed that was designed for the same purpose. It works well, but not nearly as well as real milkweed. However, the container it comes in is the best I have found. Well, I couldn't find it for 2 decades, and then I finally found it again a year or so ago--apparently ozonics purchased the company or patent, because they are now selling the exact same thing under their logo. Get a couple of these, remove the stuff that comes in it, toss the cheesy ring that comes with it and replace with a large split ring, and stuff it full of milkweed seeds. You can get at least a full pod of seeds into it if not more. It is totally waterproof, weighs next to nothing, and takes up virtually no room. I leave one attached to my bino harness and pack strap so it's always handy. It is two pieces, one fits into the other--just pull them apart to stuff it full, and you twist one side inside the other to open a hole that exposes milkweed inside, so it's really easy to access without spilling any.

Last edited:

balkodd

FNG
Been using one of these for the last few years.

Easy to carry and you don’t have to worry about losing a lid or cap. This one even came with the fluff.

I usually carry a fast food napkin in my pocket. The thin two ply Mcdonald's ones ,rip tiny pieces off and let it drop from my hand. They work very well in even faint breeze. I have also used down from a thrift store coat. 3 bucks was a lifetime supply until the coat got tossed. The napkin is way easier to "store" and has come in handy as a sleeve saver a few times.

Don't you find the lid of the canister to be a bit loud? Or maybe you have a softer lid that doesn't have much of a fast snap to it?
I've been using milkweed fluff in a film canister for many years and I never take the cap off or mess with it. Just put a very small hole or an "x" slit in the cap. Stuff and cram as much fluff as you can into the canister and put the lid on. Pull a little bit out through the slit with tweezers or a corkscrew to get it started and after that it pulls itself out like a box of kleenex. I cram it in there pretty tight so that the fibers all grab each other and I only have to add or refill every other year. Definitely remove the seeds from the fluff and watch the wispy winds.

I do like the Dyneemacator though and the idea of clipping it to a pack strap. Might have to give that a try.

wesfromky

WKR
I have this and it works pretty well - I did need to make a few holes a bit bigger, as it wasn't pulling out as well.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been shoving it in the front pouch of my sys hauler on my saddle for the past few seasons. It works, but doesn’t protect it from getting wet. I like how accessible it is. I’ve been saying I need to look into something different though.

JJBuck

FNG
I use a badlands bino harness which has two small square pockets on the inside liner, perfect for holding my milk weed and keeping it dry. Another hot tip is to take a small pinch of the fiber and push it on the exterior of the harness(or your sleeve), then you don't need to constantly be opening your harness.

cjdewese

WKR
I use a badlands bino harness which has two small square pockets on the inside liner, perfect for holding my milk weed and keeping it dry. Another hot tip is to take a small pinch of the fiber and push it on the exterior of the harness(or your sleeve), then you don't need to constantly be opening your harness.
This is a great tip and what I've started doing this year as well. I keep it in one of my waste band pouches on my backpack but once I start really needing it, I'll just grab a pinch and put it somewhere on my body to be able to grab and go if needed. My pants have a cargo type pocket and I just put some into the folds of the fabric for that pocket. Generally once I do that I don't need to open my "Pouch" anymore for the rest of my hunt.