Wind Layer Options

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking into getting a reasonably durable wind layer to add to my current setup.

Can anyone comment on the Sitka Mountain Jacket versus something like an OR Ferrosi?

Looking for something to put over my midlayer -either Sitka Fanatic Hoody or my Beyond A3 (think Sitka Kelvin Active).

Was also considering something such as a Patagonia Houdini though I'm concerned it would get torn up easy in brush.

Thanks!

LJ Buck

WKR
I love the mountain vest. If you can find the Timberline jacket then it is a great option as well.

ljalberta

WKR
I actually really like wind shirts(like the Houdini) for hiking/backpacking. But they're totally different animals than a jacket like the Ferrosi. A wind shirt is gonna be toast if you're going through brush, but they're fantastic if you're in the open or on a trail.

OP
E

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll see if I can track down a Timberline and if not then I'll get a Mountain Jacket.

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve been investigating the Patagonia level 4 windshirt. It’s milspec

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll see if I can track down a Timberline and if not then I'll get a Mountain Jacket.
I don't know where you are located but Scheels has the Timberline on sale for $174.95. Can always order on line.
wmd

prm

WKR
The Kuiu 240 Peleton is great with wind. Not sure if that fits your layering plan though.

duchntr

WKR
The Patagonia houdini is a great option, I've done a decent amount of bushwhacking with it and its fairly durable for what it is. As with any ultralight stuff it is more fragile escpellialy once the fabric starts to wear. Might be worth looking at the arcteryx sqamish as well.

OP
E

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
The Kuiu 240 Peleton is great with wind. Not sure if that fits your layering plan though.

I have a the following in my top system:

First Lite Wick Ultralight Hoody
Sitka Fanatic Hoody or Beyond A3 (Polartech Alpha)
Beyond A7 (Climashield Apex)

Would the Peleton 240 fit better than a Timberline?

Firehawk

WKR
The Sitka Mountain vest has been a great light weight wind proof layer for me. Wear it on top of my base layer or wool hoodie and for colder conditions under my light weight Kelvin Hoody as a nice wind break.

Lowg08

WKR
I have been considering the kuiu guide vest for the same purpose. My dad is a big believer in vest

prm

WKR
I have a the following in my top system:

First Lite Wick Ultralight Hoody
Sitka Fanatic Hoody or Beyond A3 (Polartech Alpha)
Beyond A7 (Climashield Apex)

Would the Peleton 240 fit better than a Timberline?

I don’t know about the Timberline. I wear the 240 Peleton as the layer above my FL Aerowool (or silkweight Patagonia R1) base layer. Then I add the following as necessary:

Arcteryx Atom
Kifaru LPP
Rain Jacket.

I also wear the 240 over a T-shirt at home. All the time... kind or ridiculous how much I wear one.

OP
E

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know about the Timberline. I wear the 240 Peleton as the layer above my FL Aerowool (or silkweight Patagonia R1) base layer. Then I add the following as necessary:

Arcteryx Atom
Kifaru LPP
Rain Jacket.

I also wear the 240 over a T-shirt at home. All the time... kind or ridiculous how much I wear one.

How is the 240 as an outer layer with brush? Is it very durable?

prm

WKR
The 240 will get some snags. But I’ve worn one for years cutting trees, splitting and hauling wood and is held up very well.

Lowg08

WKR
Update. I wore my 240 this evening with a long sleeve t under it in 37 degrees with wind 15-20 and rain and stayed warm and dry and never felt the wind