Wind Layer Options

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I rode in my car with my small French Bulldog in my lap and it snagged a ton. Didn’t affect the function but it’s not rugged

The zipper also crapped out on my so I returned it. I run the FL Klamath now as I feel it’s warmer and more wind resistant and
Comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know about the Timberline. I wear the 240 Peleton as the layer above my FL Aerowool (or silkweight Patagonia R1) base layer. Then I add the following as necessary:

Arcteryx Atom
Kifaru LPP
Rain Jacket.

I also wear the 240 over a T-shirt at home. All the time... kind or ridiculous how much I wear one.

I was mule deer hunting in late October with temps between 20-50 and I rocked a fanatic hoodie with a timberline jacket the majority of the time with a Drake puffy vest when I was glassing and stayed warm. The timberline is like a jetstream with no insulation imo

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I've had great luck with the LL Bean mountain classic anorak. I've got the insulated and the original. The kelp green color is very close to OD green. They are completely windproof and have a good a DWR coat. They don't really stretch but they are a lot more durable than the houdini and squamish jackets i've used and a heck of a lot cheaper.

mcseal2

WKR
I have been considering the kuiu guide vest for the same purpose. My dad is a big believer in vest

The Guide jacket I had was not very wind resistant. I like the Kuiu Peloton 240 hoody under a Sitka Mountain Vest much better. I'd stay away from the Guide for wind. The 240 is pretty wind resistant, and the Mountain vest is wind proof. I mix and match First Lite, Sitka, and Kuiu a lot, I don't care about looks just what works best for me. I actually like a vest in a different camo to break up my outline better if I'm wearing a vest anyway.

mcseal2

WKR
Forgot to hit the 240 durability question.

I have a black 240 hoody I wear on the ranch all spring-fall. It's often my outer layer. It will snag some, but it's held up very well and I haven't babied it. I've built a lot of fence, been through locust or hedge trees, and otherwise been hard on it. I've been using the same one for several years with no plans to replace it. I have a camo version also plus the non-hooded full zip one. I spent last Saturday coyote hunting in temps from 25-40 with the 240 hoody under the 240 full zip. For a few hours in the morning and an hour before dark I had a Kryptek Dalibor 2 jacket over the top, but most of the day that was enough. I guess I did have my old Cabelas snow camo cotton cover-up over the top of them also before noon.

The Kuiu Peloton 240 layers seem to do a good job of breaking the wind and being pretty warm while not overheating me as quick as other items with the same features when I'm walking. I layer both together as I said at times, or put a Kuiu snap shirt under or over the 240 hoody. That's a nice combo that's lighter than both the 240 jacket and 240 hoody. The Sitka mountain vest goes over the top of both if it's windy. Those 3 together are about the weight of a full featured softshell jacket and more versatile. They can all stay on layering under my big puffy and/or rain gear when I stop to glass for a while in the cold. I mainly rifle hunt big game and predators, so I'm usually hunting colder temps.

Lowg08

WKR
Thank you for the advice. I don’t really care about color either. I just want to sit as long as I can and be as comfortable as I can. They say the stratus set is nice. I’m just really wanting a light weight wind proof set

A light softshell such as the Ferrosi is more breathable than something like the Patagonia Houdini. It will also provide a bit of extra warmth. On the other hand it will take significantly longer to dry. A Houdini dries unbelievably fast.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I've had great luck with the LL Bean mountain classic anorak. I've got the insulated and the original. The kelp green color is very close to OD green. They are completely windproof and have a good a DWR coat. They don't really stretch but they are a lot more durable than the houdini and squamish jackets i've used and a heck of a lot cheaper.

I just got one of theirs with the older green/teal and maroon colors lol love it