Wind Methods....Without Kestrel

TexEnv700

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market for a wind meter but I got to thinking: what if the kestrel failed (dropped and broke, dead batteries, etc)? How would you go about getting wind data without a kestrel just as a backup/redundancy in your planning?

Ballistic apps with data from the nearest station? Looking at the environment (vegetation movement or dust) and making a best guess? Do people still read mirage? I know the kestrel is limited in only giving you the wind at your position and that a lot can change between your position and the target. I think knowing your own limits also plays into this scenario as well. Is the kestrel just a part of a bigger equation for most of you here?

How would/do you get wind without a wind meter? What things are you looking at beyond the wind meters reading? Just looking for methods, tips, etc

4ester

WKR
The best wind information is that which is right in front of you. Even a wind meter will only tell you the speed and direction at your exact location, and your bullet dont spend much time there. Reading vegetation, mirage, and terrain and then practicing those calls will be the most beneficial.

WCB

WKR
Similar to a range finder. How many guys would be completely lost without it?

Practice...in different conditions try to read the wind...shoot, adjust...etc then confirm with your wind meter or app. like stated above wind meters measure wind at your muzzle. 100yds down wind it could be 20mph stronger from the other direction or coming straight up.

The best wind information is that which is right in front of you. Even a wind meter will only tell you the speed and direction at your exact location, and your bullet dont spend much time there. Reading vegetation, mirage, and terrain and then practicing those calls will be the most beneficial.

Dead on 4ester. Long range shooting is part science and part art. For the most part elevation is science. Distance factored vs speed, BC, BP and angle. Windage is where the art comes in. Even with a kestrel its only taking into account the wind where you are and its output should be used at a baseline. You need to read the mirage, grass, leaves and other indicators all the way between you and the target to make successful first round hits. Knowing how to interpert these and covert them to proper corrections takes time in the field shooting in varying conditions.

OP
T

TexEnv700

Lil-Rokslider
I honestly don't use an anemometer to shoot. If I have to get that accurate on my wind call, I'll get closer or pass.

This is what I was getting at with knowing your limits especially on game. If I'm not confident in making the shot based on any condition I'll pass/get closer.

Wrench

WKR
This is what I was getting at with knowing your limits especially on game. If I'm not confident in making the shot based on any condition I'll pass/get closer.
I've made some incredibly long shots on game, but there's been plenty of days that I questioned the situation or potential recovery and just watched as opportunity passed.

It gets a lot easier to pass after you have killed a few and aren't as worried that it's now or never.

Truth be told, I prefer to use my longbow...

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Look up Defensive Edge's YouTube channel. The channel is actually called ShawnC338. Shawn just started a new video series on back up equipment in the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
T

TexEnv700

Lil-Rokslider
The wind meter is still your best tool to help you learn the wind. Take it everywhere. Read the wind speed and then look around to see what's moving. After a while, start to test yourself.

I thought about practicing/testing myself this way too. Do you feel confident in yourself to make a call without a wind meter after doing this for a while?

AceRifles

FNG
I thought about practicing/testing myself this way too. Do you feel confident in yourself to make a call without a wind meter after doing this for a while?
Yes I do up to about 20 mph. But it takes years of using the meter. Like everyone said, it only tells you the speed at you, but that gives you a TON of information when judging speed downrange too. The 3 best things I did when I first started down the Long Range path was carry a wind meter, range finder and something to read pressure everywhere I went. Teaches you a ton.

16Bore

WKR
If a meter is making grass sway where you are, and it looks like the grass is doing the same where your target is, then you’re probably close. Then there’s this:

020049C8-04FA-4734-91B6-06961555AA6A.jpeg

Don’t know that I’ve ever seen a direct 90 degree 10 mph breeze in my life. But I’m an east coast short knocking gangsta and don’t worry because east coast short knocking gangstas don’t worry for shit.

Except clays at 500....

AceRifles

FNG
If a meter is making grass sway where you are, and it looks like the grass is doing the same where your target is, then you’re probably close. Then there’s this:

View attachment 159285

Don’t know that I’ve ever seen a direct 90 degree 10 mph breeze in my life. But I’m an east coast short knocking gangsta and don’t worry because east coast short knocking gangstas don’t worry for shit.

Except clays at 500....
The hell is that?

16Bore

WKR
You mean the Christmas ornament or did you not see “Office Space”?

😂

16Bore

WKR
And I highly recommend “Office Space”, for when you run out of give a shit. Funny ass movie.

DB Cooper

Lil-Rokslider
The Wind Book for Rifle Shooters by Linda Miller and Keith Cunningham is 130 pages of nothing but adjusting for wind. A little more geared for competition shouting than hunting, but a cool read