Wind proof puffy or liner recomendations

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
I have a KUIU Teton puffy and love it for elk hunting but it sucks in a tree stand with any wind. I have a windstopper pullover from years ago but it's a bit too bulky. I'd like to find a lightweight liner to go over it, or a puffy jacket that is windproof (not many seem to be as they are for more active hunting).

The best thing I found so far is a Sitka Fahrenheit waterfowl jacket, but was wondering on how noisy it would be. I don't want a hood. It doesn't even need to be hunting specific as this will be worn under my camo.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't seen too many puffy's that are absolutely windproof. They'd need to be lined with gore tex or fleece to be effective against the wind. The one's you do find will probably be crazy expensive with that option. Better off using a light mid-layer of some kind that can cut the wind.

Sitka has other solid mid-layers that can do it. I don't have it yet but the stratus jacket is quiet and blocks wind really well from what I've heard. It has a shooters cut too. Check out their whitetail lineup. Most of those pieces are wind proof.

Or just get a decent fleece pullover to go under your puffy and you'l be set.

Peloton 240 does a very good job at blocking the wind. Will need an insulation piece under it for warmth.

Beckjhong

WKR
LPP. Glassed in NW Wyoming wind today with no issue, apart from what I really needed a lost park onesie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowelk

WKR
Montbell Permafrost Light and Permafrost jackets have goretex infinium aka windstopper. I have the light, and use it as my stationary puffy.

OP
MAT

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
I've got fleece but facing a 20 mph wind on a 20F day on a hill top 20 feet up in a tree on the edge of a cut cornfield only a true windproof fabric will work.

tdot

WKR
Fleece is definitely not windproof as a general rule. That's what makes it generally breathe well.

Now GoreTex Windblocker is reasonably windproof fleece, I believe there are a few others too. But they all have membranes within the fleece, which is what blocks the wind.

One of the designers at Arxteryx told me that if you want Windblocker to be truly windproof, you need to have two layers of it within your system.

tdot

WKR
I will typically use a shell to block wind. I find most insulated pieces that I've used that incorporate the shell as the outer fabric are simply too limited in their uses. I prefer the flexibility of mixing and matching.

Kuiu Yukon is the quietest that I have personally tried, but I am sure there are quieter options. I was pretty shocked how loud regular Goretex was when I threw it on part way thru a still hunt.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
I wore a Sitka Flash pullover underneath a down jacket while hunting in Eastern Montana. Most days were in the single digits or low teens with 15-20mph winds.

It does have a hood though.

I thought about going with a Sitka Fahrenheit jacket as well for a insulation layer for an upcoming hunt to Kodiak. I am mostly a duck hunter so to have a jacket that is versatile between hobbies would be cool. I already have other Sitka waterfowl pieces and the Fahrenheit would fit nicely. It seems to be on par with the Kelvin WS as far as insulation value, but it's a down blend in the chest and a synthetic in the arms.

Most guys using it waterfowl hunting say it's gets them into 20's and 30's for temps with little activity. Can someone tell me why it wouldn't be a good choice for a jacket for glassing when it's cold?

RAPTOR

WKR
Mountain vest close to your body can be a game changer for blocking wind and retaining heat

keller

WKR
i have the kuiu superdown ultra it is as windproof as anything ive worn.i also have a coat ,vest and hoodie midlayer from cabelas with gore windstopper they work great too.i can tell when riding 4 wheeler in cold weather how windproof they are I use the cabelas if going into thick woods or briars as they are more durable but heavier.and i layer accordingly to my needs and weather.