Wind resistance layer

WillyR089

FNG
Trying to find a wind resistant piece for layering. I’ve got a first lite long sleeve for base. Chama hoody, and then a mountain hardware puffy I got on sale. But when that wind gets to whipping, none of that seems to help much. Was considering the KUIU peloton 240. Any recommendations?

j33

WKR
I've got a 240 vest and hooded jacket, good windbreaker. I think if you want an ultimate lightweight setup the wind shirt seems to be the new cool thing of 2021, maybe worth a look at.

Vest will be coming elk and maybe sheep hunting with me. Won't be bringing the hooded jacket, it's a bit too heavy and I find it doesn't breath well enough so I tend to not use it when moving a bunch vs hopefully a vest helps solve that.

woods89

WKR
Trying to find a wind resistant piece for layering. I’ve got a first lite long sleeve for base. Chama hoody, and then a mountain hardware puffy I got on sale. But when that wind gets to whipping, none of that seems to help much. Was considering the KUIU peloton 240. Any recommendations?
I just had a Black Diamond Alpine Start windshirt delivered. The muffler is still warm on the mail truck, though, so I'm not going to endorse too quickly. First impressions are favorable. It's a very lightweight piece.

Edited to add: This is for use when I'm hiking. I will use it as a supplemental layer when glassing for sitting, but it's main purpose is to go over a base layer while on the move in cold temps.

Last edited:

harris611

FNG
I love my Sitka Stratus jacket and bibs. Thin enough to wear (for me) up into 50's, windproof and with mid and base layers good down into the 20's. Not cheap, but easily my most often worn items and super versatile.

barrister

WKR
I use a Sitka Mountain vest for this purpose. It works well to block the wind whether the vest is the outer layer or a mid layer. Being a vest, I can move in it and limit the sweat a bit.

OP
W

WillyR089

FNG
I use a Sitka Mountain vest for this purpose. It works well to block the wind whether the vest is the outer layer or a mid layer. Being a vest, I can move in it and limit the sweat a bit.
Haven’t considered the vest, but I do love a vest. One I’m short and most long sleeved pieces are long on me. I was considering dropping the Chama and replacing it with a more wind resistant piece, but maybe I’ll just add a vest. Thanks

barrister

WKR
Haven’t considered the vest, but I do love a vest. One I’m short and most long sleeved pieces are long on me. I was considering dropping the Chama and replacing it with a more wind resistant piece, but maybe I’ll just add a vest. Thanks
It’s funny you say that. I’m short as well and that is exactly what happened with this piece. The Sitka Mountain Vest fits me perfectly in large, but the Mountain jacket is too long in the sleeves.

I will echo the Peloton 240 option. I have a vest and jacket, and they are both excellent. I also have an FL Ridgeline that I ran over a 150g wool hoodie last year during early archery, and was surprised at how well it shed the wind.

I toss on my rain jacket open the pits if the wind is biting me.

All your wind block laminates are just waterproof breathable laminates stretched and flattened

K_pem

WKR
Overall windproofing, the mountain/timerline jacket is hard to beat while stationary or minimal movement. If you want something more versatile and a little more of a midlayer that can breath with movement, go peloton 240.

BorisZ

FNG
Hi ! i'v seen this - Massif Clipper Windbreaker, can anyone have tried it already ? Lighweight, there is a hood. Could not find reviews...

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
For wind and not too cold... I like the Kuiu Guide jacket.. My Badlands jacket is probably the toughest camo jacket I have and it is windproof. It was less expensive than the Kuiu and has definitely held up well.

Now if I'm just sitting and its super cold out, Sitka Fanatic jacket is by far my warmest and most comfortable jacket.

I recommend checking out some of the Swazi windproof gear! Kiwi gear is really well made and they ship fast and cheap!

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Look at trail running jackets. I love my Arcteryx incendo. It weighs next to nothing, is extremely breathable and windproof where you need it. I use it all the time and probably my favorite layering piece.

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
Another thing to look at is some of the mountain biking gear or cross country ski gear from like gore wear or fallrjaven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recommend checking out some of the Swazi windproof gear! Kiwi gear is really well made and they ship fast and cheap!

Maybe I’m just unlucky, but shipping on my Hood was $22 to ND. I love the product, and shipping was fast, but I doubt I could swallow that cost again.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone tried the OR ferrosi jacket as their wind layer? Had great reviews but I'm not sure if it's too heavy compared to some of these ultra light weight wind shells. Only curious as it seems more durable and comes in earth colors. It's also easier to find on sale.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dented

WKR
Deli,

I have the OR Ferrosi, excellent jacket. Small packed size, light weight, works great. The only down side is size. Ordered a large, should have gotten XL for layering. That's on me. I'm probably going to order another in XL, on sale it's worth the money.

These come highly recommended:
https://www.orcind.com/product/level-4-windshirt/
but I haven't tried one.

For a little more cash: