Wind Resistant Hoodie/Layer

I'm looking for something to put over my base layer that has some insulation qualities but mainly wind resistant. I get hot fast when I am moving even the least bit in 20-30 degree weather. I run a base layer and just a carhartt hoodie right now but if its windy I have to wear a coat just to block the wind. I'd prefer a hoodie and have been looking at the kuiu peloton 240 full zip but I keep reading guys sweat in them pretty easy. I tried a vest but my arms got cold. Ive consider the Guide Jacket as I need to update my outer layer anyways and adding a heavier base layer if it gets cold out but I'm just not sure. I dont want bulky. I'm open to all options and it doesnt have to be camo.

It seems like a softsell or a wind shirt would fill you needs.

FWIW I have found that the more breathable a soft shell is the less wind resistant it is. As far as soft shells, I own a kuiu guide jacket, a Sitka jet stream and a first lite catalyst. The FL catalyst is the most breathable and least wind resistant. The jet stream is the most wind resistant but least breathable. Kuiu is about in the middle on both.

if the Sitka mountain jacket had a hood it would be a great wind layer. I also have a flashpullover that is super light weight and cuts wind well. both are not insulated so can go for a wide temp range with good layering.

Kuiu 240 will do what you need. If it’s colder than your range or rain/snow I use the axis and add a peloton 97 under either as needed for warmth. 240 never leaves my pack from early September through November then still gets used through the winter and then spring shed and bear seasons.

Love the Peloton 240 full zip hoodies. They are holding up well with minimal pilling given the use in willows and brush (moose and caribou) over 4 or 5 seasons Good wind cutting. Wear mine as a top layer all fall bow and bird hunting, hiking and cross country skiing in the winter. Prime piece for spring bear, spot and stalk. The hood fits so well when you need it.

Also layer it under a Super Down parka when stationary glassing and cold weather whitetail hunting from stands/blinds.

Excellent piece with a trim fit, ideal for the bowhunter IMO.

woods89

WKR
I have a Black Diamond Alpine Start windshirt that I really like, although I haven't used it exhaustively yet. It has no insulation and is quite breathable, but I'm one of those who sweat very quickly and it seems to fit my needs well.

j33

WKR
I have a Black Diamond Alpine Start windshirt that I really like, although I haven't used it exhaustively yet. It has no insulation and is quite breathable, but I'm one of those who sweat very quickly and it seems to fit my needs well.

This.

I’ve owned a few 240’s, way too sweaty for my active hunts unless 0F or less. Bought a 3.8oz Black Diamond wind shirt, combined with peloton 97 it’s extremely versatile and it’s actually not too noisy, I wouldn’t bow hunt in it though as there is a little sound to it.

Drake makes some really nice windproof fleece tops in their waterfowl line and most of the non typical big game jackets have a fleece liner for wind.

Jbxl20

WKR
I carry my kuiu 240 with me all the time. I keep it in my bag when I’m hiking and throw it on when I stop or while I’m in my stand. I prefer the 240 over my corrugate guide jacket

Drenalin

WKR
For me, the 240 is a little warm for hiking in anything above freezing. I haven't used it, but curious if the First Lite Ridgeline pullover would be a good fit here.

I agree that the Peloton 97 zip neck hoodie is a great piece for hard hiking. Wore mine for 5 days while packing out a Mt Caribou in mid-Sept 2020 (northern BC). Was the cats meow for hard work work while I was sweating for hours. When I would stop to rest I'd pull the hoodie up and cool down while your neck was protected from the cold wind. The 97 has very little wind resistance. Also like the Peloton 97 zip-off bottoms.

linnebur6

FNG
I bought the new Pnuma Alpha Vertex for just that purpose. Quiet, flexible, windstopper, insulated slightly, great camo pattern. Not much not to like.
I bought this also for this! Worked wonders chasing Mule deer in Colorado, and was great last weekend setting decoys for ducks!

EdP

WKR
I use Military Surplus shells and love them. They are available in 2 weights. They are available in a couple of different camo patterns, have bombproof zippers, dry quickly, have large pockets, and draw closed at the waist and hood. They are also very inexpensive. My insulation layers are Kuiu down puffy or Kenai hoody and Kuiu's outer fabric is a bit fragile for the brush and briars I often find myself in. The shell protects them nicely and blocks the wind. As bought the shells tend to be covered with Velcro for purposes I don't know, but I cut the threads and remove it.

AMartin

FNG
I bought this also for this! Worked wonders chasing Mule deer in Colorado, and was great last weekend setting decoys for ducks!
I have been wondering how this would work for tree stand hunting where you are pretty much static the whole time??

Shraggs

WKR
Pnuma waypoint is pretty darn nice for less money than the big brands.

An old caveats Outfitter wool seater with gore windstopper has worked very well for me in moderate temps and wind. Really quiet. Not even sure if it’s made anymore with bass pro crap. Their wooltomate was pretty good stuff but heavy. So kinda hate to recommend them.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd also suggest a windshirt- my favorites are the BD Alpine Start and the Patagonia military version (tough to find now)

If you need a little insulation to go with the wind layer over your base layer- any thin fleece layer would work; the Kuiu Peloton 97 hoody is very light, breathes well and provides a lot of warmth for it's weigh (all of 5 oz!!!)

The sitka Dakota hoodie is amazing. Mine is a little too big but it does everything you could ask for. Highly wind resistant, exceptionally warm and good water resistance.

+1 for the Kuiu 240. It’s an amazing light weight “wind proof” mid layer. Wind proof in quotations because it’s not a waterproof barrier that keeps any and all out so of course there is some amount of breeze felt through it.