Wind stopper shirt?

wapitibob

WKR
Is there a good alternative to the Sitka Contrail? I need something for Wyoming in October but the Sitka is too much $$.

It's not on the "cool kids" list but the Russel L2 Tundra top has the windblocking panels on the front and shoulders that does a great job and is awesome for wearing a pack as it lets your backside breathe. Pretty dang cheap off CamoFire too if you email them. I've been nothing but pleased with mine and I've been running it for two seasons so far. Very durable as well...

Mike

dotman

WKR
It's not on the "cool kids" list but the Russel L2 Tundra top has the windblocking panels on the front and shoulders that does a great job and is awesome for wearing a pack as it lets your backside breathe. Pretty dang cheap off CamoFire too if you email them. I've been nothing but pleased with mine and I've been running it for two seasons so far. Very durable as well...

Mike

Cabelas has it onsale for $25.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
My wife and I both have the Integral Designs Windshirts. They are like 4 oz apiece and made of pertex. Super light and cut the wind like a champ. They aren't made anymore, but similar products made from pertex are out there through the likes of Montane and North Face to name a few. They just flat out work even in 40 mph winds they block it out which is amazing given how light they are. Haven't gotten a hole in one yet either even with a bunch of hard alder and devils club miles done while wearing them.

Something similar to this, though ours have hoods which is nice option IMO, but as you can see these come in at 3.5 oz for this model. Though I can't speak for how well this model works, but Montane makes some good stuff and the pertex blocks the wind like a boss. :D
http://www.backcountry.com/montane-...lid=CKmPgbadsrYCFQpxQgodHUEAKQ&newBuyBox=true

Last edited by a moderator:

mdog

FNG
Not sure why more backpack hunters are not using windshirts. I use the Sitka Contrail for Sept archery in Wyoming the last three seasons and it's my favorite jacket for that time of the year...9oz. October deserves a bit more respect and I go with breathable rain gear with pit zips....17oz. Not a softshell fan as I bring merino and a puffy. You can find the Contrail at 20% off this time of the year...$160. It's breathable, wind resistant, water resistant and STRETCHES like the Kiui Guide and Sitka Jetstream but no redundant insulation layer so a big weight savings. If you don't archery hunt then camo may not be important or if stetch does not equate to comfort for your use then save the $50.

bdho

FNG
Does the windshirt go under a hard shell, or is it the outer layer?

bozeman

WKR
I bought a NorthFace wind shell (windwall is the name) that I got on sale for around $20......been a life saver.

Phaseolus

WKR
@go4thegusto , yes, I believe First Spear owns HPG.
thanks for the reply
HPG is owned by the Hill Brothers in Grand Junction, CO. First Spear manufactures for them since they don’t have their own facility. I have a Windcheater and it’s useful in the arid west, when things might get wet it gets left home in place of something that repels water.