Wind

I'm going for my first antelope hunt this fall. I'm from the east 100 yards is a long long shot here. I'm planning on shooting a bunch between now and then but I don't think I'll get the wind that I will in Wyoming. I'll replicate it as best as possible but there are few places here that you can safely shot more than 200 yards that aren't thin lanes (like truck or 4-wheeler wide), so I won't be able to replicate crosswinds as much as I'd like. If I'm shooting a 6.5 and shooting no more than 300 with preference on 200, will wind play a big factor? Also as long as I'm shooting into the wind my bullet flight shouldn't be affected too much right?

It can play a big factor. Shoot as much as you can and use a ballistic calculator to determine the drift out to certain distance. A 10mph crosswind on a federal 7mm-08 using 140 gr nosler ballistic tip factory ammo can push the projectile 6.5". A similar 30-06 165gr nosler partition can move 7.5". Enough to make a difference.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
FWIW - The rule of thumb I was told is that for every 1 mph, a bullet will drift 1 inch at 400 yards. 10 mph would be 10 inches at 400, 5 inches at 200.

archp625

WKR
FWIW - The rule of thumb I was told is that for every 1 mph, a bullet will drift 1 inch at 400 yards. 10 mph would be 10 inches at 400, 5 inches at 200.

I'm not sure if I like that rule of thumb. Every bullet and caliber have different drifts. Speed plays a factor in it as well. The best would be a ballistic calculator then go out and put the numbers to test with a wind.

manitou1

WKR
Head winds and tail winds have a much smaller effect, if any. Quartering winds would be half of the 90 degree hold.
Winds affect different bullets differently, so there is nothing hard and fast other than a ballistic calculator. It depends on bullet speed, distance, wind AT the target, ballistic coefficient. Then factor temps and altitude to a lesser degree.

Rich M

WKR
I'm not sure if I like that rule of thumb. Every bullet and caliber have different drifts. Speed and bullet weight plays a factor in it as well. The best would be a ballistic calculator then go out and put the numbers to test with a wind.

That's what I tell everyone when they start quoting the ballistics calculators for bullet rise and drop - nothing like knowing for sure.

Good advice.

OP
C
Head winds and tail winds have a much smaller effect, if any. Quartering winds would be half of the 90 degree hold.
Winds affect different bullets differently, so there is nothing hard and fast other than a ballistic calculator. It depends on bullet speed, distance, wind AT the target, ballistic coefficient. Then factor temps and altitude to a lesser degree.
So as long as I'm shooting into the wind, I shouldn't have much to be concerned about?

Bryan B

FNG
I wouldn't worry about it. There may or may not be wind when it's time to shoot.

I carry a Kestrel wind meter but have not used it much.

Find out what the wind drift is on your load at 100, 150, 200 yds, etc. for 5, 10, 15, 20 mph and tape it to your stock.

Whether there is wind or not, use a stable rest for your rifle.

If it is too windy and you're not comfortable with the shot, don't shoot.

If possible, try to get closer and re-evaluate.

Don't over think it, but know your ability. Sometimes you might just have to pass on a shot due to wind, too far, or some other factor.

There are plenty of antelope. Go and have fun. If you put in a good effort you should be successful.

wytx

WKR
Plenty of times I've had to modify my stalk on antelope or deer because of a cross wind. In your face or at your back and you'll be fine.

Brooks

WKR
Wind doesn’t blow hard everyday you might get lucky and have a nice windless hunt. Keep an eye out for prairie rattlers, I killed 3 of them last time I hunted goats in WY..Good luck.

manitou1

WKR
Head or tail wind won't affect it enough to worry about it.
I have had days with 65 mph winds and won't shoot far on a side wind like that. Most days are reasonable and some are calm... it' just when it is windy, it is WINDY!
I came face to face with a rattler two years ago. Not very afraid of snakes, but hunting alone, it did make me more cautious!

cmahoney

WKR
300 yards isn’t that bad, my preference for that range would be to make a simple range card with 10 MPH full value wind correction. You can easily do the math with 10 MPH to figure out 5, 15, 20 or a half value correction. If you don’t already know, JBM ballistics is a free website that I have found to be accurate and easy to use. Those corrections will definitely get you in there if you make a close wind-call.

Just to cover my six, I have to throw out only take a shot you are sure of.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Thanks for the info. I'll make the card and tape it to the stock, if it's at all windy, I'll just set up to shoot into the wind or don't shoot. I play it pretty conservative on my shots. Not a big fan of snakes, at all. I'll probably be wearing my snake gaiters unless it's real cold. I have an InReach in case I get hit and can't keep it together. Hopefully that doesn't happen, it seems like for the most part if you can give them space there's not much to worry about.

Gumbo

WKR
I think you are both under and overthinking it a little. First, you can't usually just set up to shoot into the wind. You have to get within range however the terrain allows. Second, take some shooting sticks and practice using them, they will keep you plenty steady out to the ranges you will be shooting. As far as the wind, at those ranges I just use Kentucky windage and hold off a few inches if it is really windy and I'm out at the end of my max range (300 or so). But that's just me, I'm no long range guy and am not worried about perfect precision when hunting, all I have to do is hit a pie plate.

Finally, don't sweat the snakes too much. There is no way I'd wear gaiters, the chances of stepping on a snake are slim. I have had a couple close calls over the years, but after hundreds and hundreds of days in rattlesnake country both hunting and working I don't even think about them at all.

wytx

WKR
Make sure that card includes windage for 40+ mph.
Using the terrain for a down wind or into wind shot is a given.
Shooting sticks are no good in extreme winds and yes you may have to hunt in it if we get an extended wind storm.
Many days we just forego hunting due to wind but NR don'r have that luxury, you hunt when you're here.
A long stalk may be in the cards working the terrain and wind to your favor. A bipod would be more useful than shooting sticks in wind if they are tall. Prone is the best rest in extreme wind.
Even at 300 yds our extreme wind will blow your bullet out of the kill zone.

Our prairie rattl;ers are not aggressive snakes. They do not always rattle and just watch where you step.

rfertig

FNG
In my opinion, the real issue is not bullet drift but either the rifle and/or you actually getting blown around. Nothing wrong with a windage card, but I've hunted and killed a few dozen goats in south central, southeast, and northeast Wyoming and have never used one. I had one trip where I was young and took a stupid shot in 50+ mph winds--I ended up recovering him but shouldn't have taken the shot in the first place. In any event, the wind blowing me and my rifle off target was more significant than the wind drift of the bullet. Mostly in high wind, you have to get closer--the nice thing is that if the wind is strong enough to severly throw off your shot, the chances of not being heard in your stalk go up too. I do agree with wytx, however, that a good set of bipods can really help. I prefer bipods that can be shot from a sitting position, as I need to be able to clear the sage brush. As a point of reference, in nearly 30 years of hunting in Wyoming I've never run into a rattler while hunting.

OP
C
I've noticed with my bow, it seems like wind affects your bow arm more than it affects the flight of the arrow. I have a bog pod tripod, I plan on practicing off that and a pack a fair amount. I'll probably carry a camp chair in my pack cuz I feel more stable with my back against something. Snakes, yeah I'm a baby it's kind of embarassing how scared I am of them. I just need to go into snake country and see it's not that big of a deal then I'll be fine. We still have 2 feet of snow in the woods so we don't have many snakes. Alot of this is very new. Here if you can shoot 40 yards you probably did a ton of trimming to get a lane like that.

Jimss

WKR
I've hunted Wyo my entire life and never considered wind speed when taking shots. Almost every antelope I've shot is in the 100 to 200 yard range. Wind didn't really matter at those ranges. The important thing is to make a great stalk and get close.....and shoot from a SOLID prone position! I see rattlers every year and spend gobs of time on the ground crawling around. No worries....they are great at warning you when you are to close! Just keep your eyes and ears open.