Windage Adjustments- Turret or Hold Over

cogill

FNG
I was shooting in some variable wind this weekend and was trying to adjust using windage turret, but found it difficult and time consuming always turning the turret. Looking for opinions on turrets vs using the reticle for windage? Staying within 800 yards for shots.

If its windy, I just move closer.

You know, using wordsmanship and things like that that have proven useful for decades with some hunters.

I'm not sure that anyone dials wind. Tried it before I knew better and had the same experience that you did. Dial elevation and hold wind with the reticle.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
I'll echo what's been said above, dial elevation and hold windage. Get a good optic with a simple, FFP reticle and wind holds become easier!

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

rootacres

WKR
When messing around in practice I will do both. In hunting situations I always hold for wind. The reticles in most of these scopes are great. Both in FFP and SFP.

Ive never taken any long range classes, there's not much for opportunity around me. So im just kinda learning as I go, trying to figure it out. Sometimes I'll intentionally go out and shoot in windy conditions, try to get a general idea of speed/direction. I'll then shoot at a steel 10"-12" target at 600 yds without holding/correcting for wind. I then spot my impacts either on the target or in the berm behind the target. I'll line the impact up with the sub tensions on my scope and have a real good idea of what the actual drift was.

I have a Leupold VX5 HD with wind plex reticle for wind holds. It has worked for me shooting out to 1,000 yards. It’s simple to dial elevation and than use the MOA hash marks for holds. It’s also an uncluttered reticle.

Attachments

• 6329ACF3-9C2D-411C-B623-398EE18CB41C.png
    6329ACF3-9C2D-411C-B623-398EE18CB41C.png
    233.1 KB · Views: 11