Windicator / Wind checker. How much?

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
How much windicator do I need to hunt archery 7-9 days? I’d never take just one - maybe one and a spare in the pack somewhere. Is that enough? I don’t really have a feel for how long it’s going to last.

HiRidge

FNG
Take a couple milkweed pods. Weight virtually nothing and work better than the powder bottles.

Yea the milweed is the best, I got a ziplock bag stuffed for like 10$ on eBay it’s been going for 2 seasons so far and I’m not even half way yet. I never understood how thermals worked till I used it, great tool

ElkNut1

WKR
Just one! No way you could come close to using it up in such a short time. If you do you are being paranoid! (grin) I use mine mostly once I have elk located or I feel they are there in a certain spot, outside of that it would be a waste of time. Cover ground best you can with advantage wind & you'll do fine!

ElkNut

OP
3darcher2

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
Just one! No way you could come close to using it up in such a short time. If you do you are being paranoid! (grin) I use mine mostly once I have elk located or I feel they are there in a certain spot, outside of that it would be a waste of time. Cover ground best you can with advantage wind & you'll do fine!

ElkNut

I guess if I had a little more experience I'd know but I also think that I might tend to use more than an experienced guy just because I really don't have any experience. You might "know" that the wind is going upslope or what not but I'll probably check three times just to be sure. :rolleyes: Then once more just to make certain.

11boo

WKR
Grouse feather on a short piece of 6# mono. Still take the puffer, but this thing works. Plus you get to eat a grouse. Tie it onto your stabilizer.

ElkNut1

WKR
That's the paranoid part! (grin) Heck, you'll be fine, there's times you'll just kick the dry dirt & get a wind direction, not a big deal! Personally, I don't concern myself with the wind that much until I find elk sign or the elk themselves by sight or vocally. If I feel I'm close to feeding or bedding areas then I make sure the wind is good on my approach. If the wind is swirling because of inclement weather or getting later in the morn then stay put where safe or back out, it's no more than using some common sense! -- Bottom line, worry about the wind once elk are located! Good luck!

ElkNut

cnelk

WKR
Between hunting elk in Wyoming and Colorado, I’ve found that differing terrain will dictate how much wind indicator I use.

In many of my spots in Colorado, the thermals will switch around 10/1030am and again about 45 min before dark. That’s when I’ll use it the most.

I’ve hunted in Wyoming where the thermals aren’t near as squirrelly and once I figure out how they react I hardly use the wind indicator.

So, it could depend on the terrain and how much you use.

GotDraw?

WKR
The bottles usually aren't very full. Buy three bottles, open the 3rd bottle and dump the contents into the first two bottles and take those. You'll have more than enough. I have never even used a full bottle in 2 weeks using this method.

JL

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
I think I am on year 3 with mine. One bottle is all you need. Practice making a nice little swirl of smoke out of it. you aren't trying to put a gob of powder in the air. Any powder is wasted, it is the smoke that you want.

I have also used the same bottle for 3 years. I have a buddy who thinks the air is a babies butt and sprays half the damn bottle it seems every time he feels a breeze.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I always keep a little bottle in my chest harness and a full size backup bottle in my pack. Rarely have to use the backup, but its nice piece of mind. Lately i have been packing some wind floaters as well, also in the chest harness.