Window Mounts

Hey y’all, any input on the best window mount system? Currently have the VA5 head on my tripod and am looking for options that either uses the tripod head or is arca swiss compatible. Will need something that is able to support an ATX 85. Thanks for the input!

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t remember how I have mine adapted, but I have the outdoorsman window mount with quick attach to my VA-5 head.

kota

FNG
No idea what the best is, but I would get a window mount that doesn’t have an integrated head and then add the head of your choice. Seems like the window mount parts of the units are all pretty stable, so any base should work as long as the head you pick is beefy enough for the spotter. I haven’t been impressed with the integrated heads anyway. You could get another va5 or any head that uses the same QR plates so you can switch back and forth easily. I normally run a ball head on the window mount since i get a little better range of motion, don’t have handles hitting the window and I like to use them with binos anyway. Kinda nice to have a compact, lightweight head around that I sometimes swap out on my tripod for backpacking too.

I already had a manfrotto 700cr2 head on my tripod, so I got a compact light weight ball head that uses the same QR plate so I can switch optics back and forth. I can use the ball head with my 82mm meopta. I just set up the tripod in front of the pickup to use the 85mm BTX though.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I only have experience with my outdoorsman window mount. It’s great quality but probably a little overbuilt for what it’s used for. The only drawback I found is that it requires the outdoorsman pan head to function so by the time I have the mount, the head and the optic, it takes up a lot of window space. I have to nearly roll my window all the way down to use it. It’s cold when glassing plains deer in December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you think is 'too big' about the va-5?
I‘m a big VA-5 fan - use mine on a tripod and absolutely love it. But I find just about any panning head (my preference) mounted on top of a separate window mount base just pushes the whole apparatus a bit too high on the truck window, especially for a full sized spotting scope.

Find the integrated Vanguard WM, while not as refined or full-featured as the VA-5, very easy to operate and works very well with any Arca Swiss plate. Primarily use it with my 18x56 binocular, but have had spotters on it as well.

I use the Manfrotto 243 window mount, like it. I just use a cheapie ball head with it. It's not the best. But the Manfrotto is solid.

But I find just about any panning head (my preference) mounted on top of a separate window mount base just pushes the whole apparatus a bit too high on the truck window, especially for a full sized spotting scope.

Find the integrated Vanguard WM, while not as refined or full-featured as the VA-5, very easy to operate and works very well with any Arca Swiss plate. Primarily use it with my 18x56 binocular, but have had spotters on it as well.
How much is the Vanguard shorter than the sirui? I'd think the difference is less than 1/4 inch......

Why the big honkin' round thing between the clamp and the head? Take that useless POS off'n there, and then compare..... Mount the head directly to the clamp. Like the vanguard is.....

Last edited:
It don't take long to switch by unscrewing, but whatever floats your boat.... Me? I'd scrap the damn thing and get it lower. On both......

IMG_1299.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
Me, I don’t care! But the adapter is an extra 2 inches so it’s 4.5 total without it.

well, spiral horn was complaining about the height of a panhead on a window clamp. He'd really throw a hissy having to deal with 2 extra inches. The measurement from top of window glass to bottom of arca adapter on the Sirui is 3 1/4 inches. Even my mini ballhead is 2 7/8ths without the arca adapter. Add the adapter to the miniball and it is 3 1/4, same as the VA-5 on a clamp.

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
I went with total overall length, I will have to measure to top of where glass mount is tomorrow and see.

If I were switching my VA-5 back and forth between the tripod and window, I’d certainly prefer some type of quick release mechanism. As a current VA-5 owner I’ve always had the option to direct-connect it to a clamp and use it as a dedicated window mount, but being very familiar with its overall size and handling characteristics I fully considered and chose not to do that. If I were to go in that direction, I’d buy a 2nd VA-5 and use it as a dedicated window mount.

As a tripod mount, the VA-5 is simply a gem. But in the more confined space of a vehicle the Vanguard (I own both) is physically smaller, still very robust, is very easy to operate, and requires less operational space. BTW-not claiming there aren’t better options, just that this works for me. If someone else feels the VA-5 is the cat’s meow of window mounts and anything else is simply heresy, that’s great.

Last edited: