Windproof Softshell

Dries

WKR
I may look into this. Does Kryptex every run any sales?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They just ran 25% off sale a bit ago. They may have a sale around certain holidays. Just sign up for their emails and they will let you know.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have a hard shell. Open to hard shell suggestions as well

I highly recommend getting a hard shell before a soft shell. They're absolutely necessary once inclement weather comes in, while a soft shell is more a luxury item or solely for day hunts in my opinion. Look for any 3 layer gore tex shell. Kuiu and Sitka for hunting brands but you'll find better value for your dollar if you go for general outdoor brands.

jfs82

WKR
Kryptek jupiter is pretty inexpensive hard shell (depending on size/pattern amazon has it as low as 47 bucks for the jacket right now). I've picked up lightweight OR rain jackets for under 60 on sale. the Bora splits the difference, waterproof other than it's not seam sealed, so if you really spent a lot of time in a downpour, youd end up with a few lines of water across your shoulders.

When I hear "late season glassing" I think big puffies. My current version of that is a FL chamberlin. My Jetstream aint fitting over it and if I got one big enough it would still probably compress a bunch of the loft out because of the weight. The Jetstream fits too tight to be ideal over anything but a light puffy IMO.

I have a 4th season CO elk tag in a high elevation unit this year and was thinking i should buy another big puffy with a wind shell. That seems preferable to a bunch of layers that somewhat work against each other. Western mountaineering Ion or mont bell permafrost seem to fit the bill well and you'd save weight over carrying two layers.

Superdoo

WKR
When I hear "late season glassing" I think big puffies. My current version of that is a FL chamberlin. My Jetstream aint fitting over it and if I got one big enough it would still probably compress a bunch of the loft out because of the weight. The Jetstream fits too tight to be ideal over anything but a light puffy IMO.

I have a 4th season CO elk tag in a high elevation unit this year and was thinking i should buy another big puffy with a wind shell. That seems preferable to a bunch of layers that somewhat work against each other. Western mountaineering Ion or mont bell permafrost seem to fit the bill well and you'd save weight over carrying two layers.
Don’t forget the Sitka WS puffy. I love that thing!

For just WS, I use a sitka timberline jacket still, which is a mountain jacket with a hood.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. I ended up ordering a jet stream and a stone glacier m7 jacket at the same time.
I ended up keeping the M7. It's a little noisy but I was okay with it because it was waterproof and windproof. The Jetstream is a awesome jacket as well but I just felt the M7 was a little better for my application/layering

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I'm looking at selling my jet stream to cut back on always having to carry my rain jacket. Did you think the M7 was as warm as the jet stream? I like to think that with the jet stream and rain jacket it adds a little more warmth but I'm just not sure! I'd love your input!

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at selling my jet stream to cut back on always having to carry my rain jacket. Did you think the M7 was as warm as the jet stream? I like to think that with the jet stream and rain jacket it adds a little more warmth but I'm just not sure! I'd love your input!
I haven't really tested it yet, I'll be in Colorado for first rifle in a few weeks and will have a better idea. I have wore it around the farm and hiking and so far I have been happy with it. For me the jacket should fit my layering system as I was essentially looking for that hybrid jacket of soft shell/hard shell. I don't need the outer layer to be really warm as I have my merino layers and puffies. I needed a jacket that was waterproof and windproof with minimal warmth. That will allow me to leave the rain jacket at the truck and save a few oz.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
soft-shells tend to be pretty heavy (20-ish + oz for the Jetstream, similar for others) for what they do; if you're wanting to block wind/light precipitation a windshirt seems like it would earn it's a keep at a much lower weight AND they breathe better so you can use them on the move

if they are used exclusively for a protective layer while glassing- a hardshell that you are probably already packing does even a better job than a soft-shell

as mentioned above, the Sitka Flash is pretty light and other than a longer downpour, will keep you dry and the wind out

ohoopee

WKR
I keep an ultra light wind shell in my pack. Just throw it on
when I get chilled or when I reach my destination. Rab and
arcteryx make a good one. Amazon has a women's dance
pant cheap and light that I also use. I substitute a Sitka Vapor
if I am expecting rain on a trip.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
Planning to pick up a jetstream this year myself. I’m usually day hunting and not overly concerned on the weight.

bangarang

FNG
I haven't really tested it yet, I'll be in Colorado for first rifle in a few weeks and will have a better idea. I have wore it around the farm and hiking and so far I have been happy with it. For me the jacket should fit my layering system as I was essentially looking for that hybrid jacket of soft shell/hard shell. I don't need the outer layer to be really warm as I have my merino layers and puffies. I needed a jacket that was waterproof and windproof with minimal warmth. That will allow me to leave the rain jacket at the truck and save a few oz.

Any updates to this? I have a jet stream, but am looking for rain gear

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just back from a cold/wet day on the mountains chasing elk- 15 degrees when I headed up the mountain never got above 25 and a light snow all day long, with on and off again wind. I wore a base layer and active layer on the way up and was just about right. But once I started slowing down and the snow became pretty constant, I needed another layer. Broke out the Sitka Flash- snow just beaded up keeping my inner layers dry and it cut the wind out- perfect :)

M7 is much warmer as it traps heat better. With that said its not as breathable as jetstream, but pit zips are very adequate.

I think m7 is more versatile due to being water and windproof. I was in a wet 21 degrees wearing 150 weight wool shirt and M7 and was very comfortable. I carry mountain hardware ghost whisper as my puffy. Really good late season system

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I just back from a cold/wet day on the mountains chasing elk- 15 degrees when I headed up the mountain never got above 25 and a light snow all day long, with on and off again wind. I wore a base layer and active layer on the way up and was just about right. But once I started slowing down and the snow became pretty constant, I needed another layer. Broke out the Sitka Flash- snow just beaded up keeping my inner layers dry and it cut the wind out- perfect :)
How the Sitka Flash vs say a HPG wind cheater? I have a Kifaru LPP and am wanting a wind cheater to layer over it. Would that be a good combo? Or do you prefer the flash?

*zap*

WKR
Kuiu rubicon is a good harder shell.....I would think it will stand up to a light r5ain with no troubles and keeps the wind off well....plus it has a hood which is important to me.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How the Sitka Flash vs say a HPG wind cheater? I have a Kifaru LPP and am wanting a wind cheater to layer over it. Would that be a good combo? Or do you prefer the flash?

The Flash would be more water resistant (it's very close to water proof) and wind resistant, but the wind cheater is going to breathe better on the move. Both are pretty robust fabric, the wind cheater has a full zip, the flash 2/3. The fabric on the wind cheater is quieter. The wind cheater has pitzips which can be handy dumping heat, bit it's also quite a bit heavier- 24 oz vs 8 oz.

I use the Flash as a substitute for a hardshell when there is low probability of precipitation, but can don it if I need a wind layer- moving or glassing- less effective on the move (doesn't breathe well) than most wind shirts however.

Both well made pieces, you have to pick and choose on what features are more important for your trip.