Windy day tips

Anyone have any suggestions for calling on windy days? Like 15-25, gusts around 40? Is it even worth spending Brandon gas prices on going? I've been itching to go but the last few Saturdays the wind has been horrible! Hunting prairie, coulees and river breaks. Will the E call be able to reach out on these winds? I know that Lucky Duck is loud AF. I'll be hunting new areas and not exactly where the dogs are.

I don't mind lobbing lead in the wind but just worried they won't hear the call in the wind.

Usually I'd have the attitude of "can't kill em playing Xbox on the couch" but when it's 100 bucks to fill the truck up now days it's really tough to justify going.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
Get CLOSE to cover that is about it. Call loud obviously...I've had decent luck in weather like that in brushy steep draws and cattail sloughs (dakotas)

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
I’m heading to call the same type of terrain this weekend and it’s calling for that amount of wind. I’m looking at calling in those deep brushy coulees and hoping the wind calms down at night to make it worthwhile if daytime calling is a flop. I’ll be hunting between Tiber dam and the Rocky Mountain Front in MT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtbag

WKR
Look for isolated pieces of cover that they'll bed in. tumbleweed choked fence lines, shelterbelts, cattail sloughs and so on.

Call a cross wind (so your sound just doesn't go behind you), call down into cover, make quick stands and don't move far between stands. I usually only call on windy days, when I am going to spots I know hold dogs.

packer58

WKR
All good advice, focus on areas that are somewhat protected from the wind and get in quiet and close, I don't like to start out loud in the wind but will ramp up the volume after a couple minutes. If it works out and you set up near sheltered coyotes expect them to be on you really quick. Don't forget your shotgun.........

TheGDog

WKR
Anyone have any suggestions for calling on windy days? Like 15-25, gusts around 40? Is it even worth spending Brandon gas prices on going? I've been itching to go but the last few Saturdays the wind has been horrible! Hunting prairie, coulees and river breaks. Will the E call be able to reach out on these winds? I know that Lucky Duck is loud AF. I'll be hunting new areas and not exactly where the dogs are.

I don't mind lobbing lead in the wind but just worried they won't hear the call in the wind.

Usually I'd have the attitude of "can't kill em playing Xbox on the couch" but when it's 100 bucks to fill the truck up now days it's really tough to justify going.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Soo feel you on the 90bucks bucks to fill up with gas for coyote outings. I gotta drive like 100+ miles one-way from my home most times since I'm 4 miles from the Pacific in D15 here in CA.

Thankfully I work remote from home so I don't have to buy Gas all during the week, otherwise I probably couldn't afford to do it hardly as much as I currently try to do.

TheGDog

WKR
If it's a windy day and you start calling... DEFINITELY make note of any nearby washes/coulees/draws near to you. Depending on wind direction don't be surprised if they dip down into those washes/draws in order to try to sneak downwind of where they hear the sound emanating from.

My first ever yote was like that. I'd called a bunch for like 30min, with mouth calls, since somehow during drive up stuff pushed against buttons on the remote for the eCaller, and it was dead when I got to destination. Of course now I know to always have backup batteries for both the eCaller and its remote, and also always bring mouth calls, since they can't run out of battery!

The always say to call into the wind. But set yourself up either to side of the eCaller/decoy or to side and slightly back behind it, so you can catch them as they try to swing downwind of the caller/noise so they can verify they are not going to walk up to some other predator whose already got something down on the ground and run the risk of a confrontation.